* A problem with xconfig
@ 2004-11-29 22:55 George Anzinger
From: George Anzinger @ 2004-11-29 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml

In looking at the makefile history, it would appear that libkconfig.so has been
deleted from the build.  It seems, however, that qconf has not gotten the message:

  make O=/usr/src/ver/makena/obj/  xconfig ARCH=i386
   HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/qconf
scripts/kconfig/qconf arch/i386/Kconfig
./scripts/kconfig/libkconfig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
make[2]: *** [xconfig] Error 1
make[1]: *** [xconfig] Error 2
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

--
George Anzinger   george@mvista.com
High-res-timers:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/

* Re: A problem with xconfig
@ 2004-11-30  5:28 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2004-11-30  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Anzinger; +Cc: lkml

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:55:33PM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:
> In looking at the makefile history, it would appear that libkconfig.so has
> been deleted from the build.  It seems, however, that qconf has not gotten
> the message:
>
>  make O=/usr/src/ver/makena/obj/  xconfig ARCH=i386
>   HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
>   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/qconf
> scripts/kconfig/qconf arch/i386/Kconfig
> ./scripts/kconfig/libkconfig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
> make[2]: *** [xconfig] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [xconfig] Error 2
> make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

It used to be so but was addressed in a patch to scripts/kconfig/Makefile
a few weeks ago. Do you see it with latest -linus / -mm?

	Sam

* Re: A problem with xconfig
@ 2004-11-30 10:31   ` George Anzinger
From: George Anzinger @ 2004-11-30 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: lkml

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:55:33PM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:
>
>>In looking at the makefile history, it would appear that libkconfig.so has
>>been deleted from the build.  It seems, however, that qconf has not gotten
>>the message:
>>
>> make O=/usr/src/ver/makena/obj/  xconfig ARCH=i386
>>  HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
>>  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/qconf
>>scripts/kconfig/qconf arch/i386/Kconfig
>>./scripts/kconfig/libkconfig.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
>>file or directory
>>make[2]: *** [xconfig] Error 1
>>make[1]: *** [xconfig] Error 2
>>make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
>

> It used to be so but was addressed in a patch to scripts/kconfig/Makefile
> a few weeks ago. Do you see it with latest -linus / -mm?

Gosh, did I do that.  Forgot to say it was the 2.6.9 kernel.  Am I the only one
using xconfig??

--

@ 2004-11-30 19:31     ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2004-11-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Anzinger; +Cc: Sam Ravnborg, lkml

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:31:57AM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:

> >It used to be so but was addressed in a patch to scripts/kconfig/Makefile
> >a few weeks ago. Do you see it with latest -linus / -mm?
>
> Gosh, did I do that.  Forgot to say it was the 2.6.9 kernel.  Am I the only
> one using xconfig??
No - but the fault only happens when you are starting from a fesh tree.
Running mrporper would not delete the old .so file (kbuild 'lost' knowledge
of it). So most people have just untarred a new kernel on top
of the old one and it still worked.

Also the reason why I failed to fix it in the first place. xconfig and gconfig
worked even after mrproper - because the .so file survived.

	Sam

* Re: A problem with xconfig
@ 2004-12-01  3:40       ` George Anzinger
From: George Anzinger @ 2004-12-01  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: lkml

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:31:57AM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:
>
>>>It used to be so but was addressed in a patch to scripts/kconfig/Makefile
>>>a few weeks ago. Do you see it with latest -linus / -mm?
>>
>>Gosh, did I do that.  Forgot to say it was the 2.6.9 kernel.  Am I the only
>>one using xconfig??
>
> No - but the fault only happens when you are starting from a fesh tree.
> Running mrporper would not delete the old .so file (kbuild 'lost' knowledge
> of it). So most people have just untarred a new kernel on top
> of the old one and it still worked.

Yeah, we are using "quilt" in a big way now and it like to start with new trees.