* kernel boot hang, SATA_VIA compiled without APIC_IO
@ 2004-12-03  1:45 Eldad Zack
From: Eldad Zack @ 2004-12-03  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-ide

Hello,

I've recently got a SATA capable machine (Via chipset) and I've exprienced a
nasty hang at boottime, using kernel 2.6.9.
After some recompiling different parameters it boiled down to APIC_IO being
not selected (this is a UP machine).

Without APIC_IO selected the system would hang while loading SATA.

I've only tried 2.6.5 to notice it would not hang but would emit messeges as
"hde: lost interrupt", and eventually go on with the boot, the sata being
unusable.

Out of curiousity, I'd like to know if APIC_IO is absolutly needed when
dealing with SATA, and also, I'd like to help debug this problem so that a
kernel compiled without APIC_IO would at the very least not hang...

--
Eldad Zack <eldad@stoneshaft.ath.cx>
Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93

* Re: kernel boot hang, SATA_VIA compiled without APIC_IO
@ 2004-12-12 20:43 ` David Greaves
From: David Greaves @ 2004-12-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eldad Zack; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-ide, jgarzik

Thanks for posting this Eldad, I had the same problem and this saved
lots of trial and error!!

As an FYI all I did was exchange my ASUS A7V600 with an ASUS A7V600-X.
Maybe the BIOS changed version, maybe the chipset is different - not
easy to tell.
Since I boot from my SATA drive this was quite troubling. Luckily I
still had an old 2.6.6 kernel.

I had to revert back to a 2.6.6 kernel, 2.6.7 wouldn't work.

Jeff (or whoever) I too would be happy to help debug if there's anything
I can do.

I can't check the exact failure point for a week (away from the machine)
but here's the relevant bit of the dmesg (admitedley from a good booting
kernel with APIC_IO set) showing (simulated) the point where the failure
occured:
libata version 1.02 loaded.
sata_via version 0.20
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:0f.0[B] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
sata_via(0000:00:0f.0): routed to hard irq line 0
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xB400 ctl 0xB002 bmdma 0xA000 irq 20
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xA800 ctl 0xA402 bmdma 0xA008 irq 20
ata1: dev 0

After I get back on 19th Dec I'll be happy to try additional tests,
provide additional info etc if anyone asks.

HTH

David