* newbie kernel hacking question.
@ 2004-12-03 17:15 Nick Warne
       [not found] ` <1102096955.14037.5.camel@mcmanus.datapower.com>
From: Nick Warne @ 2004-12-03 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

I am trying to learn more in operation of kernel, and decided to attempt some
small hacks with a meaningful purpose - 'see it in action' type stuff rather
than just play.

One area to start with I decided is the keyboard warning at boot.  I have 5
headless/keyboardless boxes and wish the kernel to stop reporting I have no
keyboard at boot(I KNOW!!).

I finally located where kb gets initialized.

Is it this simple just to undef this in /include/linux/pc_keyb.h

#define KBD_REPORT_TIMEOUTS             /* Report keyboard timeouts */

I have read code through, and it appears the right thing to do (and it's so
simple I am in doubt it is this easy), but I am loath to try it in case the
box doesn't come up and I will have to fart around getting out monitor and kb
and move my sofa for access and stuff...

Thanks for any help.

Nick
--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, Give a whistle..."

* Re: newbie kernel hacking question.
@ 2004-12-03 17:22 ` Randy.Dunlap
       [not found] ` <1102096955.14037.5.camel@mcmanus.datapower.com>
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2004-12-03 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Warne; +Cc: linux-kernel

Nick Warne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to learn more in operation of kernel, and decided to attempt some
> small hacks with a meaningful purpose - 'see it in action' type stuff rather
> than just play.
>
> One area to start with I decided is the keyboard warning at boot.  I have 5
> headless/keyboardless boxes and wish the kernel to stop reporting I have no
> keyboard at boot(I KNOW!!).
>
> I finally located where kb gets initialized.
>
> Is it this simple just to undef this in /include/linux/pc_keyb.h
>
> #define KBD_REPORT_TIMEOUTS             /* Report keyboard timeouts */
>
> I have read code through, and it appears the right thing to do (and it's so
> simple I am in doubt it is this easy), but I am loath to try it in case the
> box doesn't come up and I will have to fart around getting out monitor and kb
> and move my sofa for access and stuff...
>
> Thanks for any help.

Yes, it looks like that should do it in Linux 2.4.x.
The keyboard driver isn't the same in 2.6.x....

--
~Randy

* Re: newbie kernel hacking question.
@ 2004-12-03 17:44   ` Nick Warne
From: Nick Warne @ 2004-12-03 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Friday 03 December 2004 17:22, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> > Is it this simple just to undef this in /include/linux/pc_keyb.h
> >
> > #define KBD_REPORT_TIMEOUTS             /* Report keyboard timeouts */
> >
> > I have read code through, and it appears the right thing to do (and it's
> > so simple I am in doubt it is this easy), but I am loath to try it in
> > case the box doesn't come up and I will have to fart around getting out
> > monitor and kb and move my sofa for access and stuff...
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> Yes, it looks like that should do it in Linux 2.4.x.
> The keyboard driver isn't the same in 2.6.x....

Yes, sorry, is one of my 2.4.28 boxes.

OK, I am going for it!

Thanks,

Nick

--

@ 2004-12-03 18:23   ` Nick Warne
From: Nick Warne @ 2004-12-03 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Friday 03 December 2004 18:02, patrick mcmanus wrote:
> maybe a helpful hint:
>
> "lilo -R newimage" will let you boot a new kernel for just the next boot
> without changing your default.. that way if it hangs/crashes you can
> just punch the reset button and it will reboot into the old working
> version..

Excellent, excellent tip.  So much good stuff here.

But it all worked anyway!  My first hack :D

uname -r 2.4.28
Nov 24 13:29:44 quake kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Nov 24 13:29:44 quake kernel: keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?(ed)
Nov 24 13:29:44 quake kernel: keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
(f4)
Nov 24 13:29:44 quake kernel: FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
Nov 24 13:29:44 quake kernel: loop: loaded (max 8 devices)

uname -r 2.4.28.nokb
Dec  3 18:08:47 quake kernel: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Dec  3 18:08:47 quake kernel: FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
Dec  3 18:08:47 quake kernel: loop: loaded (max 8 devices)

Seemd to boot faster too, but reading the code I can't see why - maybe I am
all excited ;)

Many thanks,

Nick