* 2.6.10 resuming laptop from suspension f*cks usb subsystem
@ 2004-12-29 14:53 Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro
From: Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro @ 2004-12-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Apart from the timer drift thingie, 2.6.10 brought some new features
like usb devices (ramdomly) not working after resuming from suspend mode.

In 2.6.9 usb worked well, resuming from suspend just throws a bunch
(near 20) messages like:

    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received

(getting form /var/log/syslog, just don't have time to switch back to
2.6.9 and fiddle with it again). After those messages, the usb subsystem
comes stable again and worked like a charm.

In 2.6.10, resuming from suspend mode just (randomly) crashes the USB
subsystem, and I get the same messages (not sure about the whole message
but the "-84" part really is there) over and over again until I reboot.

* Re: 2.6.10 resuming laptop from suspension f*cks usb subsystem
@ 2004-12-29 21:43 ` Paul Ionescu
From: Paul Ionescu @ 2004-12-29 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:53:46 +0100, Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro wrote:

> Apart from the timer drift thingie, 2.6.10 brought some new features like
> usb devices (ramdomly) not working after resuming from suspend mode.

Same problem here.
For me, the work around was to remove the uhci-hcd before suspending and
inserting it after resuming.

* Re: 2.6.10 resuming laptop from suspension f*cks usb subsystem
@ 2005-01-03 22:07 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2005-01-03 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> Apart from the timer drift thingie, 2.6.10 brought some new features
> like usb devices (ramdomly) not working after resuming from suspend mode.
>
> In 2.6.9 usb worked well, resuming from suspend just throws a bunch
> (near 20) messages like:
>
>    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received
>
> (getting form /var/log/syslog, just don't have time to switch back to
> 2.6.9 and fiddle with it again). After those messages, the usb subsystem
> comes stable again and worked like a charm.
>
> In 2.6.10, resuming from suspend mode just (randomly) crashes the USB
> subsystem, and I get the same messages (not sure about the whole message
> but the "-84" part really is there) over and over again until I reboot.

Does it still happen with noapic? 2.6.10 has some interrupt related
problems with APIC...

								Pavel

* Re: 2.6.10 resuming laptop from suspension f*cks usb subsystem
@ 2005-01-04 11:11   ` Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro
From: Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro @ 2005-01-04 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: linux-kernel

>>In 2.6.10, resuming from suspend mode just (randomly) crashes the USB
>>subsystem, and I get the same messages (not sure about the whole message
>>but the "-84" part really is there) over and over again until I reboot.
>>

>Does it still happen with noapic? 2.6.10 has some interrupt related
>problems with APIC...
>
>								Pavel

I have just rebooted 2.6.10 with this LILO command line

    LILO Boot: Linux-2.6.10 noapic

and if that disables APIC, then I've got the same problem. After
suspending the laptop
two times, I get the same lines (described below) and the usb system
goes nuts. After
removing & inserting uhci_hcd everything works fine again.

The lines are (endless loop):

@ 2005-01-04 11:15     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2005-01-04 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> >>In 2.6.10, resuming from suspend mode just (randomly) crashes the USB
> >>subsystem, and I get the same messages (not sure about the whole message
> >>but the "-84" part really is there) over and over again until I reboot.
> >>

> >Does it still happen with noapic? 2.6.10 has some interrupt related
> >problems with APIC...

> I have just rebooted 2.6.10 with this LILO command line
>
>    LILO Boot: Linux-2.6.10 noapic
>
> and if that disables APIC, then I've got the same problem. After
> suspending the laptop
> two times, I get the same lines (described below) and the usb system
> goes nuts. After
> removing & inserting uhci_hcd everything works fine again.
>
> The lines are (endless loop):
> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: input irq status -84 received

I guess you need to ask on usb lists. If removing/inserting uhci_hcd
helps, it is likely that uhci_hcd needs to do a bit more in its
suspend/resume callbacks.
								Pavel