* Non transparent Intel 82801 PCI Bridge fix in mainline kernel?
@ 2005-01-30 17:45 David Härdeman
From: David Härdeman @ 2005-01-30 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

after installing more RAM in my IBM Thinkpad G40 laptop, I ran into the
problem that PCMCIA ceased to work.

The problem turned out to have been reported to this list in 2003:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.3/0956.html

For a 2.6 kernel the fix seems to be to either comment out
pci_fixup_transparent_bridge in arch/i386/pci/fixup.c or to raise the
value of pci_mem_start in arch/i386/kernel/setup.c.

However, none of these fixes have made it into mainline kernel (and I
guess that is because they would break other platforms where the
pci_fixup_transparent_bridge *is* needed). So lots of newer IBM
Thinkpads with 1Gb RAM or more are unsupported with a vanilla kernel.

Now, the question is, is there any probability of a more specific
fix being merged into the kernel and is there anyone with the code-fu to
create such a patch?

Kind regards,
David Härdeman

Not subscribed...please CC me on any replies...

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-01-30 17:45 UTC | newest]