* proc/locaavg definition
@ 2005-03-03  9:04 David Lang
From: David Lang @ 2005-03-03  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

from what I have been able to find under /Documentation /proc/loadavg is
defined as giving three loadaverage numbers, 1 min, 5 min, 15 min.

however as of 2.6.5ish timeframe there are a coupld of additional colums
that do not appear to be documented

the first is something #/# that could be # of running processes/total # of
processes, but I can't find a definition of this anywhere

the second new column I don't have any clue what it is.

is there some missing documentation or did I miss something in the
existing documentation, and if so where should I look?

David Lang

  -- C.A.R. Hoare

* Re: proc/locaavg definition
@ 2005-03-03 10:36 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2005-03-03 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lang; +Cc: linux-kernel

David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> wrote:

> from what I have been able to find under /Documentation /proc/loadavg is
>  defined as giving three loadaverage numbers, 1 min, 5 min, 15 min.
>
>  however as of 2.6.5ish timeframe there are a coupld of additional colums
>  that do not appear to be documented
>
>  the first is something #/# that could be # of running processes/total # of
>  processes, but I can't find a definition of this anywhere

	number of currently ready-to-run threads
	/
	total number of threads in the machine
	the pid of the most-recently-created thread.

No idea why the last one is there.

* Re: proc/locaavg definition
@ 2005-03-03 17:29   ` David Lang
From: David Lang @ 2005-03-03 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

> David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> wrote:
>>
>> from what I have been able to find under /Documentation /proc/loadavg is
>>  defined as giving three loadaverage numbers, 1 min, 5 min, 15 min.
>>
>>  however as of 2.6.5ish timeframe there are a coupld of additional colums
>>  that do not appear to be documented
>>
>>  the first is something #/# that could be # of running processes/total # of
>>  processes, but I can't find a definition of this anywhere
>
> 	number of currently ready-to-run threads
> 	/
> 	total number of threads in the machine
> 	the pid of the most-recently-created thread.
>
> No idea why the last one is there.

Thanks

  -- C.A.R. Hoare

* Re: proc/locaavg definition
@ 2005-03-03 19:14   ` Coywolf Qi Hunt
From: Coywolf Qi Hunt @ 2005-03-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: David Lang, linux-kernel

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 02:36:50 -0800, Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:
> David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> wrote:
> >
> > from what I have been able to find under /Documentation /proc/loadavg is
> >  defined as giving three loadaverage numbers, 1 min, 5 min, 15 min.
> >
> >  however as of 2.6.5ish timeframe there are a coupld of additional colums
> >  that do not appear to be documented
> >
> >  the first is something #/# that could be # of running processes/total # of
> >  processes, but I can't find a definition of this anywhere
>
>         number of currently ready-to-run threads
>         /
>         total number of threads in the machine
>         the pid of the most-recently-created thread.
>
> No idea why the last one is there.

This refects the forking activity. How `heavy' the load is.

--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
Homepage http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/