* Reboot & ACPI suspend Laptop display initialization
@ 2005-09-16 18:57 Mike Mohr
       [not found] ` <20050916201457.GA29516@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca>
From: Mike Mohr @ 2005-09-16 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

There seems to be an issue with the VESA driver for my laptop's video
card.  I can install any version of the kernel (tested with
2.4.{23,24}, 2.4.31, and various 2.6.XX > 2.6.8) and the system turns
on and boots fine.  However, if I go into suspend to ram (which I
think is ACPI S3) where the display is turned off -or- I reboot
without shutting down first, the display is not re-initialized.

The system seems to come back on into a semi-usable state (i.e. if I
reboot the kernel seems to boot and the system comes up), but the
display remains solid black, so I have not been able to verify this.
Come to think of it, I could probably connect the laptop up to my home
network and SSH into it after this happens, but I haven't yet done so.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1800 S207 with a Trident XPAi1 video
card.  If I use the tridentfb driver (at least as of kernel 2.4) at
boot time, the screen turns various shades of gold immediately after
the kernel loads. Can someone help me debug this issue so that a fix
can be written?  The problem happens even with a pristine installation
of Slackware 10.2 with the default bare 2.4.31 kernel.

TIA

Mike

* Re: Reboot & ACPI suspend Laptop display initialization
       [not found] ` <20050916201457.GA29516@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca>
@ 2005-09-17  5:16   ` Mike Mohr
From: Mike Mohr @ 2005-09-17  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michal, linux-kernel

This isn't just a problem with ACPI's suspend.  If I reboot the
machine, without without power management, the screen isn't properly
reinitialized.  The problem with the suspend is certainly an issue
with ACPI; however, the reboot issue probably isn't.  Unless someone
can enlighten me?

@ 2005-09-19 12:16     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2005-09-19 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mohr; +Cc: michal, linux-kernel

Hi!

> This isn't just a problem with ACPI's suspend.  If I reboot the
> machine, without without power management, the screen isn't properly
> reinitialized.  The problem with the suspend is certainly an issue
> with ACPI; however, the reboot issue probably isn't.  Unless someone
> can enlighten me?

Well, the reboot issue is broken BIOS... It should reset the hardware
when you are rebooting.

Read Doc*/power/video.txt for suspend issues.
								Pavel
--
if you have sharp zaurus hardware you don't need... you know my address

* Re: Reboot & ACPI suspend Laptop display initialization
@ 2005-09-19 21:07       ` Mike Mohr
From: Mike Mohr @ 2005-09-19 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hmm.  It seems unlikely to me that Toshiba will bother fixing a bug
like this (even as serious as this one is) for a 3-yr-old laptop on my
request.  I checked, and I already have the latest BIOS released by
them on 9-24-2002.  The fact that they let a bug as serious as this
through their QA really shocks me, esp. since my wife works for
Panasonic QA and I know the procedures they go through.  I will never
buy from Toshiba again.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Mike

@ 2005-09-20 20:10         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2005-09-20 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mohr; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

Don't top-post.

> Hmm.  It seems unlikely to me that Toshiba will bother fixing a bug
> like this (even as serious as this one is) for a 3-yr-old laptop on my
> request.  I checked, and I already have the latest BIOS released by
> them on 9-24-2002.  The fact that they let a bug as serious as this
> through their QA really shocks me, esp. since my wife works for

Actually I'm not surprised. Embedded controller locked up because
Linux did something unexpected. That's still hardware problem, but quite tricky
to catch.

You can still try to find "what us it that upsets EC", and work around it
in Linux. printk/mdelay is your friend.

				Pavel
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms

* Re: Reboot & ACPI suspend Laptop display initialization
@ 2005-09-20 20:11         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2005-09-20 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Mohr; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> Hmm.  It seems unlikely to me that Toshiba will bother fixing a bug
> like this (even as serious as this one is) for a 3-yr-old laptop on my
> request.  I checked, and I already have the latest BIOS released by
> them on 9-24-2002.  The fact that they let a bug as serious as this
> through their QA really shocks me, esp. since my wife works for
> Panasonic QA and I know the procedures they go through.  I will never
> buy from Toshiba again.

Okay, sorry, it is not EC; I was replying to wrong mail. Chance of linux workaround
still exists.
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms