* 2.5.14-rc1-mm1.5 - keyboard wierdness
@ 2005-09-22  3:35 Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2005-09-22  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I've had this happen twice now, running Andrew's "not quite -mm2" patch.

Symptoms: After about 20-30 minutes uptime, a running gkrellm shows system mode
suddenly shoot up to 99-100%, and the keyboard dies.  Oddly enough, a USB mouse
continued working, and the X server was still quite responsive (I was able to
close Firefox by opening a menu with the mouse and selecting 'quit', for
example).

alt-sysrq-foo still worked, but ctl-alt-N to switch virtual consoles didn't.
sysrq-t produced a trace with nothing obviously odd - klogd, syslog, and the
disk were all working.

Nothing interesting in the syslog - no oops, bug, etc..

Another odd data point (I didn't notice if this part happened the first time):
gkrellm reported that link ppp0 had inbound packets on the modem port of a
Xircom ethernet/modem combo card.  At the rate of 3.5M/second - a neat trick
for a 56K modem.  When I unplugged the RJ-11, gkrellm *kept* reporting the
inbound traffic.  When I ejected the card, *then* the ppp0 (and the alleged
inbound packets) stopped - but still sitting at 99% system and no keyboard.

This ring any bells?  Any suggestions for instrumentation to help debug this?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: 2.5.14-rc1-mm1.5 - keyboard wierdness
@ 2005-09-22  4:00 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2005-09-22  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Valdis.Kletnieks

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 22:35, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> I've had this happen twice now, running Andrew's "not quite -mm2" patch.
>
> Symptoms: After about 20-30 minutes uptime, a running gkrellm shows system mode
> suddenly shoot up to 99-100%, and the keyboard dies.  Oddly enough, a USB mouse
> continued working, and the X server was still quite responsive (I was able to
> close Firefox by opening a menu with the mouse and selecting 'quit', for
> example).
>
> alt-sysrq-foo still worked, but ctl-alt-N to switch virtual consoles didn't.
> sysrq-t produced a trace with nothing obviously odd - klogd, syslog, and the
> disk were all working.
>
> Nothing interesting in the syslog - no oops, bug, etc..
>
> Another odd data point (I didn't notice if this part happened the first time):
> gkrellm reported that link ppp0 had inbound packets on the modem port of a
> Xircom ethernet/modem combo card.  At the rate of 3.5M/second - a neat trick
> for a 56K modem.  When I unplugged the RJ-11, gkrellm *kept* reporting the
> inbound traffic.  When I ejected the card, *then* the ppp0 (and the alleged
> inbound packets) stopped - but still sitting at 99% system and no keyboard.
>
> This ring any bells?  Any suggestions for instrumentation to help debug this?

I have seen this couple of times when I would eject my prism54 card at
a "bad" time - my card sometimes gets stuck (a known problem with some
prism54 cards) and if I would eject it "too early" I would lose keyboard.
So I wait till it complain:

	prism54: Your card/socket may be faulty, or IRQ line too busy :(

and eject and insert it again and all is fine.

--
Dmitry

* Re: 2.5.14-rc1-mm1.5 - keyboard wierdness
@ 2005-09-22  4:19   ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2005-09-22  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-kernel