* cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
       [not found]     ` <200511281835.56805.gene.heskett@verizon.net>
@ 2005-11-29  1:17       ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux and Kernel Video; +Cc: Don Koch, Perry Gilfillan, Gene Heskett, lkml

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>I can report some similar troubles.  It has worked with vanilla
>>>kernel up to 2.6.13 on x86 up untill two weeks ago, when I moved the
>>>card to an amd64 system.
>>>
>>>I'm currently running gentoo-sources-2.6.13 on amd64.  I have not
>>>tried the newly merged tree with this kernel.
>>>
>>>However with gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r2 I tried the newly merged tree,
>>>and do not get NTSC reception.  I have not tried the drivers as
>>>released with 2.6.14 yet, so I'll follow up later on that.
>>>
>>>I'm also having some issues with the VIA Unichrome drivers with
>>>2.6.14, so I may not be able to get far enough to really see whats
>>>happening.
>>>

>>I know that this board uses a Thomson DDT 7610 tuner.  I have a
>>FusionHDTV3 Gold-T card that uses Thomson DDT 7611 tuner.  I've seen a
>>copy of the datasheet -- both tuners are the same.
>>
>>Now, here's my story:  My card was working fine for a good long time,
>>but ever since about 2 months ago, the analog tuner no longer works.
>>ONLY the ATSC digital tuner is working.  The tuner does NOT include a
>>tda9887, AFAIK, and I have also tested in windows.  Regardless of
>>whether I am using Linux or Windows, I can only view an ATSC digital
>>stream, NTSC analog no longer works at all.  Both used to work in both
>>OS's.
>>
>>AFAIK, this is a physical hardware problem, and has nothing to do with
>>any bad coding.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out what went
>>wrong.
>>
>>-Mike
>>
>>Maybe Herman, or someone else, might be able to tell us what factors
>>can burn out a hybrid tuner's analog capabilities, and leave digital
>>tuning capabilities intact.
>>
>>Maybe the Thomson DDT 761x tuners are faulty?
>>
>>Can anybody enlighten us?
>>
>Well, based on the note about -rc2-git6 having the v4l stuff reverted,
>I just built it.  Same song, same verse.  The tuner acts as if the
>antenna has been disconnected and held a fraction of an inch away.  The
>video is all digital noise (in VSB), and the audio has a fraction of a
>word now and then, buried in white noise.  As my dish receiver has
>about a 65,000 u-volt output, I find that sort of signal loss almost
>unbelievable.
>
>It still takes a cold reboot back to 2.6.14.3 or I think any earlier
>kernel (that worked ok) in order to restore the cards normal operation,
>I'm watching cnn on it right now after having done so.
>
>So to me, there is little difference between git3 and git6.  Neither
>works, failing in the same manner exactly, and matching the performance
>of 15-rc2 as issued.  I didn't build -rc1, so I can't say exactly where
>the hose got cut.
>
>I'd suggest just blowing the v4l directory in the -rc2 kernel away, and
>replacing it with that from 2.6.14.3 just to get back to a working
>sitiuation that you can then start from scratch on.  But whatdoIknow? :)Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>

EEK!  This is not the problem that I'm having at all.....  Then again, I
have a different board.

Gene, telling someone to revert all the v4l changes in 2.6.15 doesn't
help us to fix the actual problem at all, nor will it help them use
their hardware.

Gene, I believe that I asked you to install the cvs modules against
2.6.14, and you told me that doing that works.  The code in cvs contains
all the patches that we have sent to 2.6.15 and THEN some.  Can you
please confirm that installing the cvs modules from v4l-dvb cvs (v4l and
dvb have merged cvs repo's) against 2.6.14 is NOT broken??  This would
rule out any possibility of the v4l changes in 2.6.15 being the cause of
your problems.

It is WELL established that there are memory errors in 2.6.15  (although
I thought they were all fixed -- guess not).  I understand that you are
using some MakeIt script to build your kernel -- have you tried the
standard method?

[...a few minutes go by...]

OKAY, I concur -- When I did my testing for 2.6.15-rc2-git6, that was
with my saa7134-based card, using nxt200x ... success!

However, when I tried using my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T (cx88 card using
lgdt3302), neither analog nor digital works in 2.6.15-rc2-git6....
Under 2.6.13 (and 2.6.14, i think), however, digital DOES work.  Analog
still doesnt work, but i believe that my hardware is damaged.

SO, looks like we have a regression somewhere in the kernel that breaks
the cx88 driver :-(

I don't even know where to begin.

...One idea... We also know that upstream changes created some compile
warnings in tuner-core...  Hans has fixed that in cvs -- maybe Hans'
patch in v4l-dvb cvs could fix it?  Gene, try installing v4l-dvb cvs
against 2.6.15-rc2-git6 (or later) and see if that might fix NTSC.
Somehow, I doubt it -- but it is certainly worth a try.

Regards,

Michael Krufky

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29  2:25         ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-29  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Linux and Kernel Video, Don Koch, Perry Gilfillan

On Monday 28 November 2005 20:17, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>I know that this board uses a Thomson DDT 7610 tuner.  I have a
>>>FusionHDTV3 Gold-T card that uses Thomson DDT 7611 tuner.  I've seen
>>> a copy of the datasheet -- both tuners are the same.
>>>
>>>Now, here's my story:  My card was working fine for a good long time,
>>>but ever since about 2 months ago, the analog tuner no longer works.
>>>ONLY the ATSC digital tuner is working.  The tuner does NOT include a
>>>tda9887, AFAIK, and I have also tested in windows.  Regardless of
>>>whether I am using Linux or Windows, I can only view an ATSC digital
>>>stream, NTSC analog no longer works at all.  Both used to work in
>>> both OS's.
>>>
>>>AFAIK, this is a physical hardware problem, and has nothing to do
>>> with any bad coding.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out what
>>> went wrong.
>>>
>>>-Mike
>>>
>>>Maybe Herman, or someone else, might be able to tell us what factors
>>>can burn out a hybrid tuner's analog capabilities, and leave digital
>>>tuning capabilities intact.
>>>
>>>Maybe the Thomson DDT 761x tuners are faulty?
>>>
>>>Can anybody enlighten us?
>>
>>Well, based on the note about -rc2-git6 having the v4l stuff reverted,
>>I just built it.  Same song, same verse.  The tuner acts as if the
>>antenna has been disconnected and held a fraction of an inch away.
>> The video is all digital noise (in VSB), and the audio has a fraction
>> of a word now and then, buried in white noise.  As my dish receiver
>> has about a 65,000 u-volt output, I find that sort of signal loss
>> almost unbelievable.
>>
>>It still takes a cold reboot back to 2.6.14.3 or I think any earlier
>>kernel (that worked ok) in order to restore the cards normal
>> operation, I'm watching cnn on it right now after having done so.
>>
>>So to me, there is little difference between git3 and git6.  Neither
>>works, failing in the same manner exactly, and matching the
>> performance of 15-rc2 as issued.  I didn't build -rc1, so I can't say
>> exactly where the hose got cut.
>>
>>I'd suggest just blowing the v4l directory in the -rc2 kernel away,
>> and replacing it with that from 2.6.14.3 just to get back to a
>> working sitiuation that you can then start from scratch on.  But
>> whatdoIknow? :)Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
>
>EEK!  This is not the problem that I'm having at all.....  Then again,
> I have a different board.
>
>Gene, telling someone to revert all the v4l changes in 2.6.15 doesn't
>help us to fix the actual problem at all, nor will it help them use
>their hardware.
>
>Gene, I believe that I asked you to install the cvs modules against
>2.6.14, and you told me that doing that works.

No, I never did get it to work Michael, and I believe I said so, mainly
because it wouldn't even compile.  ISTR I sent a message with the
compiler exit messages at the time.

Now I'd be willing to try it again, but I'd need exactly the proceedure
as it would apply to a working 2.6.14.x kernel.  I don't think I did it
right the last time.  My script, fwiw, renames one generation back so
that a bad kernel can be reverted easily by renameing the vmlinuz and
/lib/modules/version-number trees.  Its kind of a swiss army knife in
that I comment/uncomment stuff in the buildit (thats another script I
use to apply then patches etc), but the makeit script only needs the
version number updated to match the Makefile and from there its a 'time
./makeit' till I'm done editing grub.conf & ready to reboot.  I've taken
note that the recent makefiles apparently does its own depmod operation
when doing the modules_install but haven't taken my command out of it
yet so that gets done twice..

> The code in cvs
> contains all the patches that we have sent to 2.6.15 and THEN some.
> Can you please confirm that installing the cvs modules from v4l-dvb
> cvs (v4l and dvb have merged cvs repo's) against 2.6.14 is NOT
> broken??  This would rule out any possibility of the v4l changes in
> 2.6.15 being the cause of your problems.

See above.

>It is WELL established that there are memory errors in 2.6.15
> (although I thought they were all fixed -- guess not).  I understand
> that you are using some MakeIt script to build your kernel -- have you
> tried the standard method?

My script does it essentially the same as one would do it by hand.  The
exception being that I understand the Makefile now has an install target
for the kernel, but my script does the copying rather than calling that,
and *I* do the grub.conf editing.

>[...a few minutes go by...]
>
>OKAY, I concur -- When I did my testing for 2.6.15-rc2-git6, that was
>with my saa7134-based card, using nxt200x ... success!
>
>However, when I tried using my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T (cx88 card using
>lgdt3302), neither analog nor digital works in 2.6.15-rc2-git6....
>Under 2.6.13 (and 2.6.14, i think), however, digital DOES work.  Analog
>still doesnt work, but i believe that my hardware is damaged.

He should do a full shutdown and cold boot to a kernel he knows works,
and I expect the analog will work again.  Warm reboots DO NOT DO IT!

>SO, looks like we have a regression somewhere in the kernel that breaks
>the cx88 driver :-(
>
>I don't even know where to begin.
>

>...One idea... We also know that upstream changes created some compile
>warnings in tuner-core...  Hans has fixed that in cvs -- maybe Hans'
>patch in v4l-dvb cvs could fix it?  Gene, try installing v4l-dvb cvs
>against 2.6.15-rc2-git6 (or later) and see if that might fix NTSC.
>Somehow, I doubt it -- but it is certainly worth a try.

Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
page.  I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my script
does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the right
instructions.  Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed to be in
when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29  3:37           ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett
  Cc: linux-kernel, Linux and Kernel Video, Don Koch, Perry Gilfillan

Gene Heskett wrote:

> [...]
>and I expect the analog will work again.  Warm reboots DO NOT DO IT!
>
>>SO, looks like we have a regression somewhere in the kernel that breaks
>>the cx88 driver :-(
>>
>>I don't even know where to begin.
>>
>>...One idea... We also know that upstream changes created some compile
>>warnings in tuner-core...  Hans has fixed that in cvs -- maybe Hans'
>>patch in v4l-dvb cvs could fix it?  Gene, try installing v4l-dvb cvs
>>against 2.6.15-rc2-git6 (or later) and see if that might fix NTSC.
>>Somehow, I doubt it -- but it is certainly worth a try.
>>

>Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
>page.  I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my script
>does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the right
>instructions.  Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed to be in
>when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.

Gene-

Let's go a slightly different route... First off, I must say:

I think that I over-reacted in my previous email.  To test, I have
installed v4l-dvb cvs over kernels 2.6.13, 2.6.14, and 2.6.15-rc2-git6,
and all three worked fine with my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T in ATSC mode.  It
was the vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 that didnt work for me.  With the cvs
modules installed, however, it is working well.

Right now, I am in the process of recompiling my vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6
kernel, to confirm that this actually is a new regression.  If it is in
fact a regression in 2.6.15, then it is likely to be a v4l regression.
Luckily, Mauro and I have prepared some patchsets to fix some 2.6.15
bugs and compile warnings.  It seems that this might be one of the bugs
that is now fixed in cvs.

Anyhow, would you like to give cvs a whirl under your 2.6.15-rc2-git6
kernel?

There is a wiki-howto, located at:
http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS

... but I will include instructions in this email for your convenience.

Here's how:

1) Please start with vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 ... Have the kernel already
installed and running.

2) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:

   cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux login
   cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb

3) Change into the v4l-dvb directory:

   cd v4l-dvb

4) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a different
kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:

   make distclean

5) Compile the modules:

   make

6) Install them: (as root)

   make install

7) Reboot the machine

Hopefully, this will fix your problem.  Please let me know.

@ 2005-11-29  3:43             ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Krufky
  Cc: Gene Heskett, linux-kernel, Linux and Kernel Video, Don Koch,
	Perry Gilfillan

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
>> page.  I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my script
>> does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the right
>> instructions.  Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed to be in
>> when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.

Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....

It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands below...
Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your kernel source,
and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb tree after you
"cd" into it.  I recommend either doing this in your ~home directory, or
in /usr/src

> Here's how:
>
> 1) Please start with vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 ... Have the kernel
> already installed and running.
>
> 2) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:
>
>   cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux login
>   cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
>
> 3) Change into the v4l-dvb directory:
>
>   cd v4l-dvb
>
> 4) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a
> different kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:
>
>   make distclean
>
> 5) Compile the modules:
>
>   make
>
> 6) Install them: (as root)
>
>   make install
>
> 7) Reboot the machine
>
> Hopefully, this will fix your problem.  Please let me know.

Cheers,

Michael

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29  4:23             ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-29  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Linux and Kernel Video, Don Koch, Perry Gilfillan

On Monday 28 November 2005 22:37, Michael Krufky wrote:
> [...]
>
>Right now, I am in the process of recompiling my vanilla
> 2.6.15-rc2-git6 kernel, to confirm that this actually is a new
> regression.  If it is in fact a regression in 2.6.15, then it is
> likely to be a v4l regression. Luckily, Mauro and I have prepared some
> patchsets to fix some 2.6.15 bugs and compile warnings.  It seems that
> this might be one of the bugs that is now fixed in cvs.
>
>Anyhow, would you like to give cvs a whirl under your 2.6.15-rc2-git6
>kernel?
>
>There is a wiki-howto, located at:
>http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
>
>... but I will include instructions in this email for your convenience.
>
>Here's how:
>
>1) Please start with vanilla 2.6.15-rc2-git6 ... Have the kernel
> already installed and running.
>
>2) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:

Got it to that point, but I need to reboot AFTER I disable the modprobe
statement in my r.clocal file.  That loads about 25 modules it seems &
I don't want the old code to touch it before I've rebuilt the cvs.

Ok, rebooted to 2.6.15-rc2-git6

>4) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a
> different kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:
>
>   make distclean

Skipped

>5) Compile the modules:
>
>   make

Working now. Done.  The only odd thing was a couple of lines as it
started stateing 'no version now' but several lines later it had found
the kernel version ok.

>6) Install them: (as root)
>
>   make install

is this supposed to be make modules_install?  I did the plain one.
That seemed to work, a repeat shows this:

[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# make install
make -C /usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'

Eliminating old V4L modules (errors on this step is not a problem)..
make[1]: [v4l-rminstall] Error 1 (ignored)

Installing new V4L modules at corresponding Kernel dir...
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -m 644 -c ir-common.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -m 644 -c btcx-risc.ko bttv.ko tda9887.ko tuner.ko tvaudio.ko
tveeprom.ko saa6588.ko tvmixer.ko v4l1-compat.ko v4l2-common.ko
wm8775.ko cs53l32a.ko video-buf.ko video-buf-dvb.ko ir-kbd-gpio.ko
ir-kbd-i2c.ko msp3400.ko tvp5150.ko saa711x.ko saa7134-alsa.ko
saa7134-oss.ko saa7115.ko cx25840.ko saa7127.ko compat_ioctl32.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88
install -m 644 -c cx8800.ko cx8802.ko cx88-alsa.ko  cx88-blackbird.ko
cx88xx.ko cx88-dvb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88
install: cannot stat `cx88-alsa.ko': No such file or directory
make[1]: [v4l-install] Error 1 (ignored)
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134
install -m 644 -c saa6752hs.ko saa7134.ko saa7134-empress.ko
saa7134-dvb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx
install -m 644 -c em28xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/video/em28xx
/sbin/depmod -a

Eliminating old DVB modules (errors on this step is not a problem)..
make[1]: [dvb-rminstall] Error 1 (ignored)

Installing new DVB modules at corresponding Kernel dir...
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -m 644 -c saa7146.ko saa7146_vv.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/common
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends
install -m 644 -c cx22702.ko dvb-pll.ko lgdt330x.ko or51132.ko
tda1004x.ko mt352.ko sp887x.ko nxt6000.ko cx24110.ko or51211.ko
nxt200x.ko cx24123.ko mt312.ko stv0299.ko nxt2002.ko bcm3510.ko
dib3000mb.ko dib3000mc.ko ves1820.ko  cx22700.ko tda8083.ko ves1x93.ko
stv0297.ko sp8870.ko  l64781.ko s5h1420.ko tda10021.ko at76c651.ko
tda80xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx
install -m 644 -c bt878.ko dvb-bt8xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core
install -m 644 -c dvb-core.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/b2c2
install -m 644 -c b2c2-flexcop.ko b2c2-flexcop-pci.ko
b2c2-flexcop-usb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/b2c2
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/cinergyT2
install -m 644 -c cinergyT2.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/cinergyT2
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb
install -m 644 -c dvb-usb.ko dvb-usb-vp7045.ko dvb-usb-vp702x.ko
dvb-usb-dtt200u.ko dvb-usb-a800.ko dvb-usb-dibusb-mb.ko
dvb-usb-dibusb-mc.ko dvb-usb-nova-t-usb2.ko dvb-usb-umt-010.ko
dvb-usb-digitv.ko dvb-usb-cxusb.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/pluto2
install -m 644 -c pluto2.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/pluto2
install -d /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttpci
install -m 644 -c budget-core.ko budget.ko ttpci-eeprom.ko budget-av.ko
budget-ci.ko budget-patch.ko dvb-ttpci.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttpci
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-budget
install -m 644 -c dvb-ttusb-budget.o
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-budget
install -d
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-dec
install -m 644 -c ttusb_dec.ko ttusbdecfe.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-git6/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/ttusb-dec
/sbin/depmod -a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
------------------
Now the acid test, reboot...  Humm, rebooted, but the line in rc.local,
that I ran from a vt after logging in as root, did not find the
cx88-dvb module, so nothing is loaded.  Odd, maybe a typu the first
time, the second time after starting x seems to have worked.

So lets see if it works.  Nope, same symptoms as before, huge amount of
digital noise on-screen, and the audio is thoroughly buried in the
noise.  Just like the antenna is unplugged, but there is 60,000-65,000
u-v at the tuners input.

>7) Reboot the machine
>
>Hopefully, this will fix your problem.  Please let me know.

And now you know.  And I'm gonna cold reboot to 2.6.14.3, which will
restore it, or has several times before.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29  4:40               ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-29  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Linux and Kernel Video, Don Koch, Perry Gilfillan

On Monday 28 November 2005 22:43, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Michael Krufky wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
>>> page.  I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my
>>> script does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the
>>> right instructions.  Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed
>>> to be in when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.
>
>Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....
>
>It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands
> below... Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your
> kernel source, and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb
> tree after you "cd" into it.  I recommend either doing this in your
> ~home directory, or in /usr/src

I built it in /usr/src, seemed to be ok ANAICT.  It just didn't work.
Bear in mind I have no ATSC signals out here in the West Virginia hills
yet, all ntsc.  So I can't as yet test the ATSC side.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29  4:56                 ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux and Kernel Video; +Cc: linux-kernel, Gene Heskett

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Monday 28 November 2005 22:43, Michael Krufky wrote:
>

>>Michael Krufky wrote:

>>Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....
>>
>>It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands
>>below... Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your
>>kernel source, and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb
>>tree after you "cd" into it.  I recommend either doing this in your
>>~home directory, or in /usr/src
>>

>I built it in /usr/src, seemed to be ok ANAICT.  It just didn't work.
>Bear in mind I have no ATSC signals out here in the West Virginia hills
>yet, all ntsc.  So I can't as yet test the ATSC side.

Very interesting...  This whole time I thought that your testing was
using a VSB stream.

So, you're only talking about problems with analog NTSC?

It seems that I might be having a similar (but NOT the same) problem
with my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T, but it has nothing to do with the kernel
version.  Let me remind you that this card uses Thomson DDT 7611, and
your card uses Thomson DDT 7610.  It simply doesnt work anymore,
regardless of whether I am in Linux or Windows, no matter which kernel
version.  Only digital ATSC (using QAM256) is working for me.

I will have to test NTSC using my FusionHDTV5 Gold, installed in my
other box.  It doesnt have 2.6.15 installed right now.  I will wait for
2.6.15-rc3 to propogate to the kernel.org mirrors before I install it,
so this may take some time.  The other card, however, has a TUA6034
tuner, inside an LG TDVS-H062F ... not the same tuner as you this time,
but still a cx88 board.

Anyway, after 2.6.15-rc3 propogates and I get it installed, I'll let you
know how my testing goes.  Would you do the same?

Cheers,

Mike

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29  7:13                   ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: Linux and Kernel Video, linux-kernel

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Anyway, after 2.6.15-rc3 propogates and I get it installed, I'll let
> you know how my testing goes.  Would you do the same?

My FusionHDTV5 Gold card works fine under 2.6.15-rc3 ... Hopefully yours
does too.

/me crosses fingers

-Mike

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29 15:11                   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-29 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Michael Krufky, Linux and Kernel Video

On Monday 28 November 2005 23:56, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>Oops.... I forgot to answer this question....
>>>
>>>It doesnt matter in what directory you are issuing the commands
>>>below... Although you certainly should NOT issue these within your
>>>kernel source, and you should be inside the newly-downloaded v4l-dvb
>>>tree after you "cd" into it.  I recommend either doing this in your
>>>~home directory, or in /usr/src
>>
>>I built it in /usr/src, seemed to be ok ANAICT.  It just didn't work.
>>Bear in mind I have no ATSC signals out here in the West Virginia
>> hills yet, all ntsc.  So I can't as yet test the ATSC side.
>
>Very interesting...  This whole time I thought that your testing was
>using a VSB stream.
>
>So, you're only talking about problems with analog NTSC?

Correct.

And there is one difference between the modprobe cx88-dvb that works,
and the ones that don't.  The ones that do report:
kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Oren OR51132 VSB/QAM Frontend)...

echoed on the cli, those that don't work are silent.

The complete section from the messages file is:
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK2] enabled
at IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.0[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:3000,
board: pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV [card=22,autodetected]
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: TV tuner 52 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at
0x1fe
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: i2c-algo-bit.o: cx88[0] passed test.
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: type set to 52 (Thomson DDT
7610 (ATSC/NTSC))
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:01:07.0, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xea000000
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device video0
[v4l2]
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device radio0
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.2[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:01:07.2, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xeb000000
Nov 28 23:25:55 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card

Now, from a 2.6.15-rc2-git6 + cvs boot that doesn't work:
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK2] enabled
at IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.0[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:3000,
board: pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV [card=22,autodetected]
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: TV tuner 52 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at
0x1fe
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: i2c-algo-bit.o: cx88[0] passed test.
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: type set to 52 (Thomson DDT
7610 (ATSC/NTSC))
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:01:07.0, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xea000000
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device video0
[v4l2]
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
Nov 28 23:15:24 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/0: registered device radio0
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.5 loaded
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.2[A] ->
Link [LNK2] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:01:07.2, rev: 5,
irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xeb000000
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
Nov 28 23:15:25 coyote kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Oren OR51132
VSB/QAM Frontend)...

Which *looks* the same to me, but it doesn't work.  Those last 2 lines
that are normally echoed to the cli, are not with the newer code
although they are in the messages log.

>It seems that I might be having a similar (but NOT the same) problem
>with my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T, but it has nothing to do with the kernel
>version.  Let me remind you that this card uses Thomson DDT 7611, and
>your card uses Thomson DDT 7610.  It simply doesnt work anymore,
>regardless of whether I am in Linux or Windows, no matter which kernel
>version.  Only digital ATSC (using QAM256) is working for me.
>
>I will have to test NTSC using my FusionHDTV5 Gold, installed in my
>other box.  It doesnt have 2.6.15 installed right now.  I will wait for
>2.6.15-rc3 to propogate to the kernel.org mirrors before I install it,
>so this may take some time.  The other card, however, has a TUA6034
>tuner, inside an LG TDVS-H062F ... not the same tuner as you this time,
>but still a cx88 board.
>
>Anyway, after 2.6.15-rc3 propogates and I get it installed, I'll let
> you know how my testing goes.  Would you do the same?

Yes of course.  I need to do some housekeeping in my grub.conf though,
I'm currently up to 24 entries. :)  So stuff before 2.6.14 is about to
go away.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29 15:52                     ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux and Kernel Video; +Cc: linux-kernel

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>I should also add this is with 2.6.14.2 and todays v4l-dvb CVS.
>>

>And I should add that 2.6.14, any version without the cvs update, works
>perfectly in ntsc here. I have to atsc signals available.

Gene,

Would you mind trying to install the cvs modules on top of 2.6.14, using
the instructions that I gave you last night?  This will confirm once and
for all whether your problems are due to a v4l regression, or an
upstream regression in 2.6.15.

@ 2005-11-29 16:06                       ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, mkrufky; +Cc: Linux and Kernel Video

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 10:52, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>I should also add this is with 2.6.14.2 and todays v4l-dvb CVS.
>>
>>And I should add that 2.6.14, any version without the cvs update,
>> works perfectly in ntsc here. I have to atsc signals available.
>
>Gene,
>
>Would you mind trying to install the cvs modules on top of 2.6.14,
> using the instructions that I gave you last night?  This will confirm
> once and for all whether your problems are due to a v4l regression, or
> an upstream regression in 2.6.15.
>
>Thanks,

Yes, I can do that. I can also confirm that its still borked in -rc3.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC via tuner
@ 2005-11-29 17:06                         ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-29 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: mkrufky, Linux and Kernel Video

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 11:06, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>And I should add that 2.6.14, any version without the cvs update,
>>> works perfectly in ntsc here. I have to atsc signals available.
>>
>>Gene,
>>
>>Would you mind trying to install the cvs modules on top of 2.6.14,
>> using the instructions that I gave you last night?  This will confirm
>> once and for all whether your problems are due to a v4l regression,
>> or an upstream regression in 2.6.15.
>>
>>Thanks,
>
>Yes, I can do that. I can also confirm that its still borked in -rc3.

Turns out I'd borked the linkages in /lib/modules/2.6.14 with a
previous attempt, so I'm rebuilding 2.6.14 first in order to restore the
linakges.  The cvs build is slow, is the -j=1 in the Makefile?  Or do I
need to spec that on the cli?  I've forgotten.  Anyway, its done, so a
reboot is coming up.

And its broken in the same manner for 2.6.14 + cvs.  I tried to do a
screen snapshot but the tvtime window was blank in the snapshot.
Didn't we used to have a snapshotter that grabbed only the window with
ficus way back when?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
       [not found]     ` <200511291546.27365.gene.heskett@verizon.net>
@ 2005-11-29 21:29       ` Michael Krufky
       [not found]         ` <c35b44d70511291435i5f07bc88g429276ef659c28c5@mail.gmail.com>
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett
  Cc: video4linux-list, CityK, linux-kernel, Perry Gilfillan, Don Koch,
	Kirk Lapray

Kirk, Perry and Don, please see below...

Gene Heskett wrote:

> [...]
>>>Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote last message repeated 2 times
>>>Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
>>>Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
>>>Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
>>>Nov 29 13:24:49 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
>>>Nov 29 13:24:53 coyote last message repeated 131 times
>>>Nov 29 13:24:53 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
>>>

>>>My hard drives have been power cycled more times in the last few days
>>>playing with this than at any time in their history since I have a BIG
>>>ups.
>>>
>>>So I think I'm back to 2.6.14.3 for a while. Lemme know if and when
>>>there is something else to test.  Right now I'm vacuuming up water in
>>>the basement for the first time in years, it rained HARD here earlier.
>>>

>>Gene-
>>
>>There IS something more to test, unless I missed an email from you....
>>
>>...and it's going to be very hard for people to follow your problem...
>>Please stick with your original thread to discuss your particular
>>problem.
>>

>Gah, I marked the thread as important, but then it jumped to the v4l
>list from lkml and I got lost in the shuffle.
>
>>What happens when you install v4l-dvb cvs on top of 2.6.14.y ?
>>

>Already did that, blew up as usual, cold boot required.
>
>>(Gene's card uses Thomson DDT 7610 - we need to figure out what analog
>>demod is in play, here.)
>>

>Ok, here is an lsmod after doing the modprobe cx88-dvb:
>
>[root@coyote linux-2.6.14]# lsmod |grep cx88
>cx88_dvb                7428  0
>cx8800                 27276  0
>v4l1_compat            13188  1 cx8800
>v4l2_common             4864  1 cx8800
>cx8802                  9092  1 cx88_dvb
>cx88xx                 53024  3 cx88_dvb,cx8800,cx8802
>i2c_algo_bit            8456  1 cx88xx
>ir_common               7556  1 cx88xx
>btcx_risc               3976  3 cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx
>tveeprom               12304  1 cx88xx
>videodev                7296  2 cx8800,cx88xx
>mt352                   6148  1 cx88_dvb
>or51132                 9220  1 cx88_dvb
>video_buf_dvb           4612  1 cx88_dvb
>video_buf              17540  5
>cx88_dvb,cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx,video_buf_dvb
>lgdt330x                7580  1 cx88_dvb
>cx22702                 5892  1 cx88_dvb
>dvb_pll                 7812  3 cx88_dvb,or51132,cx22702
>i2c_core               17808  12
>cx88_dvb,cx88xx,i2c_algo_bit,tuner,tveeprom,mt352,or51132,lgdt330x,cx227
>02,w83627hf,i2c_isa,i2c_nforce2
>---------
>And the log spamming originates and stops according to whether or not
>I'm watching tv on it, and continues to do so when booted to 2.6.14.3.
>Once up and running, its not very often, but hundreds of lines of it
>during the startup & a few during the shutdown (of tvtime)
>
>Interesting to me is that I was under the impression that the nxt200x
>module was the tuner driver, but its not anyplace in the list whether I

nxt200x is a dvb frontend driver -- it is NOT a tuner driver, although
it does work with the tuner, but not on your board (pchdtv 3000).
nxt200x is used by cx88-dvb for the ATi HDTV Wonder, and it's used by
saa7134-dvb for the AVerTVHD A180.  The nxt200x was not present in
2.6.14, although it IS present in 2.6.15 and v4l-dvb cvs.  We know that
this is not causing your trouble because Kirk Lapray has both the ATI
HDTV Wonder AND pcHDTV 3000 installed on his system, and he says both
are working properly.

However, I don't know if Kirk has tried 2.6.15-rc3 yet...

Kirk, do both cards work properly in both analog AND digital video?
...or were you only talking about digital?  Kirk, I could really use
your help in diagnosing the problem that Gene, Perry and Don are talking
about.  It looks like something in the 2.6.15 patchsets broke analog
video on the pcHDTV 3000.... Would you kindly be able to test 2.6.15-rc3
on your hardware?

>The logs do say its a Thompson 7610 tuner though.
>-----------
>Nov 29 13:38:31 coyote kernel: TV tuner 52 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at
>0x1fe
>Nov 29 13:38:31 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
>Nov 29 13:38:31 coyote kernel: tuner 2-0061: type set to 52 (Thomson DDT
>7610 (ATSC/NTSC))
>----------
>
>Now, I'm out of pocket till late this evening.  I'll check in of course
>when I get back.  I'd like to get this resolved before I get stuck in
>an airplane & shipped to upstate MI for a while.  I'm gettin too old
>for this back to work crap.   But a $1k/week & expenses comes in handy
>too. :)

Gene, Perry and Don -

I wish that we could resolve this with a -git bisection test...
Unfortunately, we cannot do it this time, as the VM_RESERVED memory
problems existed throughout 2.6.15 development.

All I can think of doing is telling you to start reverting cx88 / tuner
related v4l patches, but that is very tedious....

Another idea is to try installing cvs again on top of your kernel, but
with each unsuccessful checkout, back out cvs a few days, using the -D
option.....

If you need better details on how to do this, let me know... I'll try to
write something up.

-Mike

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
       [not found]         ` <c35b44d70511291435i5f07bc88g429276ef659c28c5@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-11-29 23:01           ` Michael Krufky
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-29 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirk Lapray
  Cc: Gene Heskett, video4linux-list, CityK, linux-kernel,
	Perry Gilfillan, Don Koch

Kirk Lapray wrote:

> I only run the cards in digital mode.  I have no need to tune to any
> analog channels with them.  When I was working on nxt200x I was able
> to tune both analog and digital channels on the HDTV Wonder, but I
> have never tried to tune to any analog channels using the HD3000.
> This was using kernel 2.6.13 and the cvs v4l and dvb trees.
>
> I am not sure when I will have some time to test 2.6.15-rc3, but if I
> get some time I will try analog support on this and my current setup.
>
> Kirk

Kirk-

Please test your cards in analog mode, or I fear that we may have to
cause NXT200X to depend on BROKEN.

Here's why....

A few months ago, as we added the nxt200x module to cvs, I told you that
with nxt200x loaded into memory, I had some extra devices showing up on
my i2c bus.  At the time, I was using another cx88 card, and it did not
use the nxt200x module itself, although it loads up into memory
automatically by the cx88-dvb module.

You told me that there was some code in nxt200x module that somehow
opens up a channel to hidden i2c devices.  Why would this code affect my
system if my device is not using the nxt200x module?

Is there code being run at nxt200x module load that is causing this
BEFORE cx88-dvb calls nxt200x_attach() ?

It seems that Gene, Perry and Don are having problems with their analog
tuners (they each have pcHDTV 3000) ever since nxt200x got added.

Gene, Perry and Don - What happens if you have the cx88 module loaded,
but you do NOT load up cx88-dvb (nxt200x will not be loaded) ... Does
the problem persist?

You do not need cx88-dvb to view analog television.

Kirk, we need a control group!  Please test analog on both boards.

Kirk, there is a thread on the v4l/dvb mailing lists right now about an
i2c gate dealing with Hauppauge cards and cx22702 frontend.  What Steve
Toth has described about this 'i2c gate' is starting to sound similar to
what you mentioned about making hidden i2c devices visible.

I'm getting the feeling that nxt200x is indeed the problem.

Gene, Perry and Don .... Another thing you can try -- Once again,
install v4l-dvb cvs on top of your running kernel, but this time, before
compiling, edit v4l-dvb/v4l/Makefile , and remove the line:

 EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_NXT200X=1

... This line appears twice, you only need to remove the top one, as it
pertains to the cx88 card, although it is safe to remove both for the
purposes of this test.

If this fixes your problem, then we know that nxt200x is the cause.

-Mike

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-11-29 23:43             ` Don Koch
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Don Koch @ 2005-11-29 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Krufky
  Cc: kirk.lapray, gene.heskett, video4linux-list, CityK, linux-kernel, perrye

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:01:16 -0500
Michael Krufky wrote:

> It seems that Gene, Perry and Don are having problems with their analog
> tuners (they each have pcHDTV 3000) ever since nxt200x got added.
>
> Gene, Perry and Don - What happens if you have the cx88 module loaded,
> but you do NOT load up cx88-dvb (nxt200x will not be loaded) ... Does
> the problem persist?
>
> You do not need cx88-dvb to view analog television.

Same thing.

> Kirk, we need a control group!  Please test analog on both boards.
>
> Kirk, there is a thread on the v4l/dvb mailing lists right now about an
> i2c gate dealing with Hauppauge cards and cx22702 frontend.  What Steve
> Toth has described about this 'i2c gate' is starting to sound similar to
> what you mentioned about making hidden i2c devices visible.
>
> I'm getting the feeling that nxt200x is indeed the problem.
>
> Gene, Perry and Don .... Another thing you can try -- Once again,
> install v4l-dvb cvs on top of your running kernel, but this time, before
> compiling, edit v4l-dvb/v4l/Makefile , and remove the line:
>
>  EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_NXT200X=1
>
> ... This line appears twice, you only need to remove the top one, as it
> pertains to the cx88 card, although it is safe to remove both for the
> purposes of this test.
>
> If this fixes your problem, then we know that nxt200x is the cause.

Working on this build, now.

> -Mike

-d

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-11-29 23:52             ` Don Koch
       [not found]             ` <c35b44d70511291548lcb10361ifd3a4ea0f239662d@mail.gmail.com>
From: Don Koch @ 2005-11-29 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Krufky
  Cc: kirk.lapray, gene.heskett, video4linux-list, CityK, linux-kernel, perrye

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Gene, Perry and Don .... Another thing you can try -- Once again,
> install v4l-dvb cvs on top of your running kernel, but this time, before
> compiling, edit v4l-dvb/v4l/Makefile , and remove the line:
>
>  EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_NXT200X=1
>
> ... This line appears twice, you only need to remove the top one, as it
> pertains to the cx88 card, although it is safe to remove both for the
> purposes of this test.
>
> If this fixes your problem, then we know that nxt200x is the cause.
>
> -Mike

No difference.

Back to looking at the code...

-d

@ 2005-11-30  1:26               ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-30  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirk Lapray
  Cc: Gene Heskett, video4linux-list, CityK, linux-kernel,
	Perry Gilfillan, Don Koch

Don Koch wrote:

>>If this fixes your problem, then we know that nxt200x is the cause.
>>

>No difference.
>
>Back to looking at the code...

Okay, it looks like nxt200x is a red herring, sorry for the false
alarm.  Even still, Kirk, it would be very helpful if you could confirm
analog video functionality of your pcHDTV 3000 board, using either
2.6.15-rc3, or v4l-dvb cvs on top of any kernel version.

...But before that, please first try it in your current configuration.

I do not have this board, and there *IS* a problem with it... Based on
the tests done by Gene and Don, it looks like the regression is inside
the v4l code, although this doesnt make any sense, as other cards with
similar hardware are not affected.

I don't know any of the specifics about this board, besides the fact
that is has OR51132 (irrelevant - the problem exists even without
cx88-dvb loaded) Thomson DDT 7610, and a cx2388x chip.

I have two cx88 boards of my own - FusionHDTV5 Gold, everything works
fine, both analog and digital.  FusionHDTV3 Gold-T, using Thomson DDT
7611 (same as 7610) , and digital works, but the analog tuner is
completely broken, regardless of what kernel version, regardless of
whether I'm using Linux or windows, and it used to work a few months ago.

I think my hardware is fried, but since Gene is able to restore
functionality by a cold boot into 2.6.14.2, it makes me think his
problem is because of bad code, where my problem is due to bad hardware.

All I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.

::sigh::

Who wants to do it?  I'll give you detailed instructions if you're willing.

Regards,
Mike

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]             ` <c35b44d70511291548lcb10361ifd3a4ea0f239662d@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-11-30  4:06             ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-30  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Kirk Lapray, video4linux-list, CityK,
	Perry Gilfillan, Don Koch

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 18:01, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Kirk Lapray wrote:
>> I only run the cards in digital mode.  I have no need to tune to any
>> analog channels with them.  When I was working on nxt200x I was able
>> to tune both analog and digital channels on the HDTV Wonder, but I
>> have never tried to tune to any analog channels using the HD3000.
>> This was using kernel 2.6.13 and the cvs v4l and dvb trees.
>>
>> I am not sure when I will have some time to test 2.6.15-rc3, but if I
>> get some time I will try analog support on this and my current setup.
>>
>> Kirk
>
>Kirk-
>
>Please test your cards in analog mode, or I fear that we may have to
>cause NXT200X to depend on BROKEN.
>
>Here's why....
>
>A few months ago, as we added the nxt200x module to cvs, I told you
> that with nxt200x loaded into memory, I had some extra devices showing
> up on my i2c bus.  At the time, I was using another cx88 card, and it
> did not use the nxt200x module itself, although it loads up into
> memory automatically by the cx88-dvb module.

It was not being loaded by a modprobe cx88-dvb here, see my lsmod
listing from earlier today.

>You told me that there was some code in nxt200x module that somehow
>opens up a channel to hidden i2c devices.  Why would this code affect
> my system if my device is not using the nxt200x module?
>
>Is there code being run at nxt200x module load that is causing this
>BEFORE cx88-dvb calls nxt200x_attach() ?
>
>It seems that Gene, Perry and Don are having problems with their analog
>tuners (they each have pcHDTV 3000) ever since nxt200x got added.
>
>Gene, Perry and Don - What happens if you have the cx88 module loaded,
>but you do NOT load up cx88-dvb (nxt200x will not be loaded) ... Does
>the problem persist?

Having done an rmmod of everything related, installling the cvs but no
reboot, an attempt to modprobe cx88 back into the system gets a module
not found message.  So maybe I have to reboot anyway, brb.

>You do not need cx88-dvb to view analog television.
>
>Kirk, we need a control group!  Please test analog on both boards.
>
>Kirk, there is a thread on the v4l/dvb mailing lists right now about an
>i2c gate dealing with Hauppauge cards and cx22702 frontend.  What Steve
>Toth has described about this 'i2c gate' is starting to sound similar
> to what you mentioned about making hidden i2c devices visible.
>
>I'm getting the feeling that nxt200x is indeed the problem.
>
>Gene, Perry and Don .... Another thing you can try -- Once again,
>install v4l-dvb cvs on top of your running kernel, but this time,
> before compiling, edit v4l-dvb/v4l/Makefile , and remove the line:
>
> EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_NXT200X=1

I took these out before I installed the cvs to 2.6.14.3.  So here goes
a reboot.

>... This line appears twice, you only need to remove the top one, as it
>pertains to the cx88 card, although it is safe to remove both for the
>purposes of this test.
>
>If this fixes your problem, then we know that nxt200x is the cause.

As I said above, nxt200x wasn't being loaded by the modprobe cx88-dvb
statement.  I'm now rebooted after having done a cvs install after
modifying the v4l/Makefile, and its now broken again.  So I'm not
convinced that the nxt200x code has anything to do with my problem, at
least not yet.  Now I have to see if I can recover by blowing away the
/lib/modules dir and doing another make modules_install in the 2.6.14.3
tree, plus a cold reboot.  Nah, to heck with it, just rerun my makeit
script again, only takes about 9 minutes for a clean rebuild.  But this
cold reboot will take about 20 minutes, I have umpty gigabytes of
partitions that will e2fsck, /dev/hdd3 (180GB for amandas virtual
tapes) taking at least 15 minutes, much of it with the progress bar
stuck at about 13%.  And another 80 GB partition is set for this round
too.  It sticks for 5 minutes at about 30%, e2fsck, version 1.35, needs
help IMNSHO. But thats what we have I guess...

Anyway, rebooted, and it works again after modprobe cx88-dvb from a
cli. I let it run about 3 minutes, and got this in the messages log:

Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc04c561a
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote last message repeated 3 times
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x800476c6
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0045627
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x80045626
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc04c561a
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x80085617
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x40085618
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x4054561e
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0045627
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x80045626
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc04c561a
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x80085617
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x40085618
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x4054561e
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0x402c5639
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561b
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc02c5638
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote last message repeated 2 times
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc0445624
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c
Nov 29 22:56:18 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
Nov 29 22:56:49 coyote last message repeated 907 times
Nov 29 22:57:50 coyote last message repeated 1828 times
Nov 29 22:58:46 coyote last message repeated 1703 times
Nov 29 22:58:46 coyote kernel: CORE IOCTL: 0xc008561c

Is this related to the memory problems you commented on a couple of
times?  The system seems stable though.  And I've watched tv by the
hour many times, not knowing I should be tailing the log.

The log size so far for this week is ~500k.

--

@ 2005-11-30  5:07                 ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-11-30  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Kirk Lapray, video4linux-list, CityK,
	Perry Gilfillan, Don Koch

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:

[...]

>All I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.
>
>::sigh::

A sigh?  More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
is...

>Who wants to do it?  I'll give you detailed instructions if you're
> willing.
>
>Regards,
>Mike

Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us?  Or do you want
to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
again?  I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer.  How many
actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there?  I know, I
coulda went all week without asking that :(

--

@ 2005-11-30  5:29                   ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-11-30  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett
  Cc: linux-kernel, Kirk Lapray, video4linux-list, CityK,
	Perry Gilfillan, Don Koch

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>ll I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
>>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
>>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.
>>
>>::sigh::
>>

>A sigh?  More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
>is...
>
>>Who wants to do it?  I'll give you detailed instructions if you're
>>willing.
>>

>Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us?  Or do you want
>to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
>incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
>again?  I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
>page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer.  How many
>actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there?  I know, I
>coulda went all week without asking that :(

Actually, cvs has a parameter that lets you specify cutoff dates...

This is what I am suggesting that you do... Base this on my previous cvs
instructions....

reminder: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS

so....

1st:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
cd v4l-dvb
make clean
make
make install

test

(you already did this - you said doesnt work)

Now, try again, using last month's code:

cvs up -D 2005-11-01
make clean
make
make install

did it work?  yes?  ok, so try two weeks later:

cvs up -D 2005-11-15
make clean
make
make install

... or no it didnt?  then another month earlier:

cvs up -D 2005-10-01
make clean
make
make install

works now?  try two weeks later:

cvs up -D 2005-10-15
make clean
make
make install

doesnt work?  1 week earlier:

cvs up -D 2005-10-07
make clean
make
make install

doesnt work?  1 day earlier:

cvs up -D 2005-10-06
make clean
make
make install

it works?  hmm... problem patch must have been committed between 10-06
and 10-07

At that point, just give me the date and it will probably be easy to
narrow it down, or then again, you can use time of day in the -D
parameter too... (see man cvs)

anyway, you get the picture...  This is an adaptation for cvs based on
Linus' description of the git bisection testing, and I'm sure that there
are more efficient ways of doing it, but this should work.

Cheers,

Mike

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-11-30 12:59               ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2005-11-30 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux and Kernel Video; +Cc: linux-kernel, Michael Krufky

Gene,

	Two questions:

1) Is it a 64bit machine?

2) please try to modprobe tuner with offset=100, then with offset=-100.
offset option will force tuner to make a freq offset. It might be the
case.

Cheers,
Mauro.

Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mauro_chehab@yahoo.com.br>

http://br.yahoo.com/homepageset.html

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-11-30 13:01               ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2005-11-30 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux and Kernel Video; +Cc: linux-kernel, Michael Krufky

Gene,

	Some points:

1) Is it a 64bit machine?

2) The problem also occurs at vanilla 2.6.15-rc3?

Cheers,
Mauro.

@ 2005-11-30 15:53                     ` Don Koch
       [not found]                       ` <438E7107.3000407@linuxmail.org>
From: Don Koch @ 2005-11-30 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Krufky
  Cc: gene.heskett, linux-kernel, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
Michael Krufky wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>ll I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
> >>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
> >>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.

Do we know of a date where the code is known to work.  First thing I'd like to
do is verify that the card works at all.  Remember, I've never seen NTSC tuner
mode work and don't want to chase a red herring if the card is busted.

Thanks,
-d

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01  0:24                       ` Gene Heskett
       [not found]                       ` <438E7107.3000407@linuxmail.org>
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Don Koch, Michael Krufky, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 10:53, Don Koch wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
>
>Michael Krufky wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
>> >
>> >[...]
>
>Do we know of a date where the code is known to work.

I assume this is actually a question.  Its one I'm not privy to other
than whats in 2.6.14.3 and earlier works.  As to when that was merged
into the kernel tarballs, I'll let Michael see if he can date it.  And
then we'ed want to look at anything post that merge date, using the
bisect methods suggested.

However, its not going to be started here tonight, I need some sleep,
drank way too much coffee yesterday & didn't sleep last night at all.

>First thing I'd
> like to do is verify that the card works at all.  Remember, I've never
> seen NTSC tuner mode work and don't want to chase a red herring if the
> card is busted.

It should work with a stock 2.6.14.3 build if its going to work I
think, although there may be other factors for cards other than my
pcHDTV-3000.  Michael?

@ 2005-12-01  0:28                 ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linux and Kernel Video, Michael Krufky

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 08:01, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>Gene,
>
> Some points:
>
>1) Is it a 64bit machine?

No, x86-32, T.B.E. an Xp2800 Athlon, gig of ram.

>2) The problem also occurs at vanilla 2.6.15-rc3?

It works ok as late as 2.6.14.3, fails on 2.6.15-rc2 & rc3.  I never
build rc1's.

@ 2005-12-01  3:20                     ` Don Koch
From: Don Koch @ 2005-12-01  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Krufky
  Cc: gene.heskett, linux-kernel, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>ll I can think of doing next is to have Gene, Don or Perry do a
> >>bisection test on our cvs repo.... checking out different cvs revisions
> >>until we can narrow it down to the day the problem patch was applied.
> >>
> >>::sigh::
> >>

> >A sigh?  More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
> >is...
> >
> >>Who wants to do it?  I'll give you detailed instructions if you're
> >>willing.
> >>

> >Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us?  Or do you want
> >to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
> >incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
> >again?  I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
> >page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer.  How many
> >actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there?  I know, I
> >coulda went all week without asking that :(
> >
> Actually, cvs has a parameter that lets you specify cutoff dates...
>
> This is what I am suggesting that you do... Base this on my previous cvs
> instructions....
>
> reminder: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
>
> so....
>
> 1st:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux login
> cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
> cd v4l-dvb
> make clean
> make
> make install
>
> test
>
> (you already did this - you said doesnt work)
[...]
> cvs up -D 2005-10-15
> make clean
> make
> make install
>
> doesnt work?  1 week earlier:
>
> cvs up -D 2005-10-07
> make clean
> make
> make install

Let's put it this way: for me, 2005-10-10 doesn't work and anything earlier doesn't build.  I've tried building against 2.6.15-rc3, 2.6.14 and 2.6.13.  The card doesn't
work against the built-in 2.6.13 code, but the tuner is sending bizarre stuff
to it (channel 2 is *not* at 97.25 MHz).  2.6.14 kept spewing:

CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
cx88[0]: ioctl 0xc054561d (v4l2, rw, VIDIOC_G_TUNER)

all over the syslog.

Build issues include broken Makefiles (around 10-08) and missing header files.

> Cheers,
>
> Mike

-d

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01  4:00                       ` Michael Krufky
                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-12-01  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Koch
  Cc: gene.heskett, linux-kernel, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

Don Koch wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
>Michael Krufky wrote:
>

>>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>

>>>On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:26, Michael Krufky wrote:
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>A sigh?  More like an 'oh fudge' or whatever your fav expletive deleted
>>>is...

>>>Can you farm it out, one set of patches to each of us?  Or do you want
>>>to setup a seperate cvs tree based on the v4l code in 2.6.14.3, and
>>>incrementally patch it as we each report its still ok, until it breaks
>>>again?  I think I'd prefer the latter so we are all near the same
>>>page even if it takes 3x longer to arrive at the answer.  How many
>>>actual patches in terms of dependency groups are there?  I know, I
>>>coulda went all week without asking that :(
>>>

>>Actually, cvs has a parameter that lets you specify cutoff dates...
>>
>>This is what I am suggesting that you do... Base this on my previous cvs
>>instructions....
>>
>>reminder: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
>>
>>so....
>>
>>1st:
>>
>>cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux login
>>cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
>>cd v4l-dvb
>>make clean
>>make
>>make install
>>
>>test
>>
>>(you already did this - you said doesnt work)
>>

>[...]
>

>>cvs up -D 2005-10-15
>>make clean
>>make
>>make install
>>
>>doesnt work?  1 week earlier:
>>
>>cvs up -D 2005-10-07
>>make clean
>>make
>>make install
>>

>Let's put it this way: for me, 2005-10-10 doesn't work and anything earlier doesn't build.  I've tried building against 2.6.15-rc3, 2.6.14 and 2.6.13.  The card doesn't
>work against the built-in 2.6.13 code, but the tuner is sending bizarre stuff
>to it (channel 2 is *not* at 97.25 MHz).  2.6.14 kept spewing:
>
>CORE IOCTL: 0xc054561d
>cx88[0]: ioctl 0xc054561d (v4l2, rw, VIDIOC_G_TUNER)
>
>all over the syslog.
>
>Build issues include broken Makefiles (around 10-08) and missing header files.
>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Mike

hmm... would those be unresolved symbols in relation to dvb frontends?

This would be because we only recently merged the cvs trees, and the
older builds dont include the dvb frontends in the v4l build.  You can
fix it by doing the following:

Be sure to "make clean" before and after each checkout -- it's necessary
because of what the scripts below do to the build configuration.

Before running make (EACH TIME) do this:

1- edit v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh   ... delete everything
BETWEEN these two lines... being sure to leave both of them intact.:

#!/bin/sh

patch -p2 <<'DIFF'

...do the same thing to v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh

You will have to do it for each checkout, unfortunately.  If you are
using a more recent checkout (past few days) then you do not have to
edit these files, as they have been deleted when the build was updated
for the merger of v4l+dvb cvs.

2) make merge-trees

3) make

4) make install

...because of the "merge-trees" command, you'll have to run "make clean"
each time before you cvs check out  (cvs co) again.

I hope this works........

-Mike

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01  4:09                         ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-12-01  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett
  Cc: linux-kernel, Don Koch, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 November 2005 10:53, Don Koch wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:29:23 -0500
>>
>>Michael Krufky wrote:

>>Do we know of a date where the code is known to work.
>>

>I assume this is actually a question.  Its one I'm not privy to other
>than whats in 2.6.14.3 and earlier works.  As to when that was merged
>into the kernel tarballs, I'll let Michael see if he can date it.  And
>then we'ed want to look at anything post that merge date, using the
>bisect methods suggested.
>

>>First thing I'd
>>like to do is verify that the card works at all.  Remember, I've never
>>seen NTSC tuner mode work and don't want to chase a red herring if the
>>card is busted.
>>

>It should work with a stock 2.6.14.3 build if its going to work I
>think, although there may be other factors for cards other than my
>pcHDTV-3000.  Michael?

2.6.14 was released about a month ago... so, to be safe, I'd say about 2
months ago in cvs...

The idea of a bisection test is to always make your next test based on
half the amount of changesets... It's not as easy to do this with cvs as
it is with git, but we can make the best of it......

so, ideally, your tests can be like this:

1- 2months ago.
2- 1month ago
3- 2 weeks ago
4- 3 weeks ago
5- 2 weeks, 3 days ago
6- 2 weeks, 1 day ago

.... at that point, we can look at the cvs commit logs and either

a) start checking out individual patches

or

b) start making the checkout based on time of day in addition of date,
in the form,
YYYY-MM-DD HH:NN

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01 14:59                         ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Don Koch, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:
cvs up -D 2005-10-15
was done inside the checkouts v4l-dvb dir
make (in the v4l subdir) clean, ok
make then blows up with:
root@coyote v4l]# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.c',
needed by `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make: *** [default] Error 2

So what I figured to be a good starting point isn't.

So I stepped back to the parent v4l-dvb dir, and did a
cvs up -D 2005-11-1, which updated a whole bunch of stuff, and then I
get this:
[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# cd v4l
[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
.version:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make
.version:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.

So it looks as if I don't know what I'm doing (and I obviously don't)
Where am I losing it here?

--

@ 2005-12-01 15:24                         ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Don Koch, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

> [...]
> configuration.
>
>Before running make (EACH TIME) do this:
>
>1- edit v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh   ... delete everything
>BETWEEN these two lines... being sure to leave both of them intact.:
>
>#!/bin/sh

>patch -p2 <<'DIFF'
>

>...do the same thing to v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh
>
>You will have to do it for each checkout, unfortunately.  If you are
>using a more recent checkout (past few days) then you do not have to
>edit these files, as they have been deleted when the build was updated
>for the merger of v4l+dvb cvs.
>

>2) make merge-trees
>
>3) make
>
>4) make install
>
>...because of the "merge-trees" command, you'll have to run "make
> clean" each time before you cvs check out  (cvs co) again.

Nope, see previous post, I can't get past this for say 2005-11-1:
[root@coyote scripts]# vim unmerge-trees.sh
[root@coyote scripts]# cd ..
[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
.version:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make
.version:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make merge-trees
.version:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.

So let me go back to 2005-10-1 & try that.  But that ends the cvs up -D
2005-10-1 with:
Merging differences between 1.47 and 1.25 into merge-trees.sh
rcsmerge: warning: conflicts during merge
cvs update: conflicts found in v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh
C v4l/scripts/merge-trees.sh
P v4l/scripts/prepare-ChangeLog.pl
P v4l/scripts/strip-trailing-whitespaces.sh
RCS file: /cvs/video4linux/v4l-dvb/v4l/scripts/Attic/unmerge-trees.sh,v
retrieving revision 1.44
retrieving revision 1.23
Merging differences between 1.44 and 1.23 into unmerge-trees.sh
rcsmerge: warning: conflicts during merge
cvs update: conflicts found in v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh
C v4l/scripts/unmerge-trees.sh

& that bails out with the message:
[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# cd v4l/scripts
[root@coyote scripts]# vim unmerge-trees.sh
[root@coyote scripts]# vim merge-trees.sh
[root@coyote scripts]# cd ..
[root@coyote v4l]# make merge-trees
make: *** No rule to make target `merge-trees'.  Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
rm -f *~ *.o *.ko *.mod.c
rm -f .version .*.o.flags .*.o.d .*.o.cmd .*.ko.cmd
[root@coyote v4l]# make merge-trees
make: *** No rule to make target `merge-trees'.  Stop.
[root@coyote v4l]# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.c',
needed by `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
make: *** [default] Error 2

So this doesn't seem to be a productive effort at all, Michael.  Or I'm
doing things out of order as usual & need to start from scratch with a
fresh checkout each time.

--

@ 2005-12-01 15:30                         ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Don Koch, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:

And somebody in the Cc: list of this thread is using an SPI from
spam.com and the confirm message contains no indication of who you are.
I do NOT do sender verifications as it just seems to confirm I'm a good
address to spam.  I get several hundred a day the way it is.  So if you
aren't seeing my messages, only the replies to them, well...  Tough.

[...]

--

@ 2005-12-01 15:38                           ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-12-01 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett
  Cc: linux-kernel, Don Koch, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

Gene Heskett wrote:

>So this doesn't seem to be a productive effort at all, Michael.  Or I'm
>doing things out of order as usual & need to start from scratch with a
>fresh checkout each time.

Wipe out the cvs tree and do a fresh checkout each time.

-Mike

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01 15:40                           ` Perry Gilfillan
From: Perry Gilfillan @ 2005-12-01 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett
  Cc: linux-kernel, Michael Krufky, Don Koch, kirk.lapray,
	video4linux-list, CityK

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:
>cvs up -D 2005-10-15
>was done inside the checkouts v4l-dvb dir
>make (in the v4l subdir) clean, ok
>make then blows up with:
>root@coyote v4l]# make
>make -C /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l modules
>make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
>make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.c',
>needed by `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l/video-buf.o'.  Stop.
>make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3'
>make: *** [default] Error 2
>
>So what I figured to be a good starting point isn't.
>
>So I stepped back to the parent v4l-dvb dir, and did a
>cvs up -D 2005-11-1, which updated a whole bunch of stuff, and then I
>get this:
>[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# cd v4l
>[root@coyote v4l]# make clean
>.version:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>[root@coyote v4l]# make
>.version:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
>So it looks as if I don't know what I'm doing (and I obviously don't)
>Where am I losing it here?

I've been able to pin point the time of the fault to changes commited to
v4l cvs at "2005-10-17 16:02."

In summary:

cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:01:
Analog TV works, as well as composite and s-video.

Changes made at 2005-10-17 16:02: bROKEN!!

cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:10:
Analog failes, s-video and composite work.

To test this, fron v4l-dvb/ ( not v4l-dvb/v4l/ ):

cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:02"
make distclean
make
make install

Do a cold boot, and test.

cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:01"
make distclean
make
make install

Do a cold boot and test.

Cheers,

Perry

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01 17:01                             ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Perry Gilfillan, Michael Krufky, Don Koch, kirk.lapray,
	video4linux-list, CityK

On Thursday 01 December 2005 10:40, Perry Gilfillan wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>On Wednesday 30 November 2005 23:00, Michael Krufky wrote:

[...]
>I've been able to pin point the time of the fault to changes commited
> to v4l cvs at "2005-10-17 16:02."
>
>In summary:
>
>cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:01:
>Analog TV works, as well as composite and s-video.
>
>Changes made at 2005-10-17 16:02: bROKEN!!
>
>cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:10:
>Analog failes, s-video and composite work.
>

>To test this, fron v4l-dvb/ ( not v4l-dvb/v4l/ ):
>
>cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:02"
>make distclean
>make
>make install
>
>Do a cold boot, and test.
>
>cvs up -D "2005-10-17 16:01"
>make distclean
>make
>make install
>
>Do a cold boot and test.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Perry

Unforch, it appears that Makefile is broken as its expecting to find a
link named linux in the /usr/src dir that points at the present kernels
tree.  Per Linus's instructions that link was removed what, 2 years ago?

Anywho, its exiting rather quickly with this message:

[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# make distclean
make -C /usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l distclean
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
find . -name '*.c' -type l -exec rm '{}' \;
find . -name '*.h' -type l -exec rm '{}' \;
rm -f *~ *.o *.ko *.mod.c
rm -f .version .*.o.flags .*.o.d .*.o.cmd .*.ko.cmd
rm -rf .tmp_versions
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'

Which looks ok, so...

[root@coyote v4l-dvb]# make
make -C /usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
echo "No version yet."
No version yet.
uname -r|perl -ne 'if (/^([0-9]*)\.([0-9])*\.([0-9]*)(.*)$/) { printf
("VERSION=%s\nPATCHLEVEL:=%s\nSUBLEVEL:=%s\nKERNELRELEASE:=%s.%s.%s%s\n"
,$1,$2,$3,$1,$2,$3,$4); };' > ./.version
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
creating symbolic links...
find: ../linux/drivers/usb/media: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [links] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v4l-dvb/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

The ./v4l/.version file:
VERSION=2
PATCHLEVEL:=6
SUBLEVEL:=14
KERNELRELEASE:=2.6.14.3

which appears correct to me.

--

@ 2005-12-01 17:13                             ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Michael Krufky, Don Koch, kirk.lapray, video4linux-list, CityK, perrye

On Thursday 01 December 2005 10:38, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>So this doesn't seem to be a productive effort at all, Michael.  Or
>> I'm doing things out of order as usual & need to start from scratch
>> with a fresh checkout each time.
>
>Wipe out the cvs tree and do a fresh checkout each time.
>
>-Mike

Thats what I just did and got the broken makefile.

I just posted another msg that gives a blow by blow.
--

       [not found]                               ` <438EBD43.3080400@linuxmail.org>
@ 2005-12-01 17:54                                 ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-12-01 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Gilfillan
  Cc: Linux and Kernel Video, Hartmut Hackmann, Gene Heskett, Don Koch,
	linux-kernel

Perry Gilfillan wrote:

> I've been able to pinpoint the time when the v4l-dvb cvs failes for
> the pcHDTV 3000 tuner!!
>
> This test is with gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r5, with v4l-dvb cvs.  As
> Michael pointed out, 2.6.15 has bugs.  For my hardware, 2.6.13, and 14
> have major issues as well...
>
> My procedure is to do a distclean in the v4l-dvb cvs directory,
> checkout the repository for the given date, make, and install.  Then I
> inspect the /lib/modules/.../media/video dirtree to be sure no old ko
> files are lingering.  I do a cold boot to be sure the hardware is
> fully initialized from a known state.  After many iterations, I've
> narrowed it down to this change set:
>
> cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:01:
> Analog TV works, as well as composite and s-video.
>
> Changes made at 2005-10-17 16:02: bROKEN!!
>
> cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:10:
> Analog failes, s-video and composite work.
>

> I'll leave it to more capable persons to figure how it failed.

Hmm... These times of day don't coincide with any actual commits....

Anyhow, this was the day Hartmut added tda8275a support.  It broke many
things, which we thought that we had eventually fixed.  Maybe there are
still a few bugs as a result of this?

This is enough for me to put together a test patch for you, but I cant
do it right now..... I'll try to email you an experimental patch tonight
or tomorrow that will remove tda8275a support, just to confirm that this
is in fact the problem.

If it turns out that I'm right, then we'll have to figure out a way to
fix it, since reverting Hartmut's patch is NOT an option.

Thanks for the testing!

-Mike

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01 21:00                                   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
                                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2005-12-01 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux and Kernel Video
  Cc: Perry Gilfillan, Hartmut Hackmann, linux-kernel, Gene Heskett,
	Don Koch, Michael Krufky - V4L

	After checking the datasheets of Thompson tuner, and I have one guess:

	At board description, tda9887 is not there. This tuner needs to work
properly.

	This small patch does enable it for your board.

	You should notice that you may need to use some parameters for tda0887
to work properly, like using port1=0 port2=0 qss=0 as insmod options for
this module. (these are some on/off bits at the chip, to enable some
special functions - if 0/0/0 doesn't work you may need to test 0/0/1, ..
1/1/1).

Cheers,
Mauro.

[-- Attachment #2: v4l_ena_tda9887.patch --]

Index: linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c
RCS file: /cvs/video4linux/v4l-dvb/linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c,v
retrieving revision 1.108
diff -u -p -r1.108 cx88-cards.c
--- linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c	25 Nov 2005 10:24:13 -0000	1.108
+++ linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c	1 Dec 2005 20:56:43 -0000
@@ -569,6 +569,7 @@ struct cx88_board cx88_boards[] = {
 		.radio_type     = UNSET,
 		.tuner_addr	= ADDR_UNSET,
 		.radio_addr	= ADDR_UNSET,
+		.tda9887_conf   = TDA9887_PRESENT,
 		.input          = {{
 			.type   = CX88_VMUX_TELEVISION,
 			.vmux   = 0,

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01 22:06                                     ` Perry Gilfillan
From: Perry Gilfillan @ 2005-12-01 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
  Cc: Linux and Kernel Video, linux-kernel, Gene Heskett, Don Koch,
	Michael Krufky - V4L

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

>	After checking the datasheets of Thompson tuner, and I have one guess:
>
>	At board description, tda9887 is not there. This tuner needs to work
>properly.
>
>	This small patch does enable it for your board.
>
>	You should notice that you may need to use some parameters for tda0887
>to work properly, like using port1=0 port2=0 qss=0 as insmod options for
>this module. (these are some on/off bits at the chip, to enable some
>special functions - if 0/0/0 doesn't work you may need to test 0/0/1, ..
>1/1/1).

This has fixed it for me!!  I compiled todays cvs, with out this patch,
to watch it fail, then added the line as noted, and reloaded the modules
without rebooting, and it worked.  I did a cold start to see that it is
repeatable, and it continues to work.  I used no extra parameters, so
the defaults are working fine.

Cheers,

Perry

@ 2005-12-01 22:14                                     ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linux and Kernel Video, Perry Gilfillan,
	Don Koch, Michael Krufky - V4L

On Thursday 01 December 2005 16:00, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
I also took Hartmut out of the Cc: list, he is mailbombing me with a
sender id scheme of some kind for every reply I make to All:

Its very poor form to do that to a mailing list although I suspect its
because he is in the CC list and getting it directly if I don't remove
him from it.  He doesn't need 2 copies anyway.

> After checking the datasheets of Thompson tuner, and I have one guess:
>
> At board description, tda9887 is not there. This tuner needs to work
>properly.
>
> This small patch does enable it for your board.
>
> You should notice that you may need to use some parameters for tda0887
>to work properly, like using port1=0 port2=0 qss=0 as insmod options
> for this module. (these are some on/off bits at the chip, to enable
> some special functions - if 0/0/0 doesn't work you may need to test
> 0/0/1, .. 1/1/1).

I'm puzzled.  In 2.6.14.3, that tuner is not loaded, and its working
fine other than spamming the logs by the megabyte about

[...]

Other than that, its fine in ntsc.

I'm currently doing a 'modprobe cx88-dvb' to load everything, but you
mention using insmod with arguments above, so please clarify as to how
I should proceed after applying that patch to, oh lets live dangerously
and do it to 2.6.15-rc4.

--

@ 2005-12-01 22:23                                       ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-12-01 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Gilfillan
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linux and Kernel Video, linux-kernel,
	Gene Heskett, Don Koch

Perry Gilfillan wrote:

> Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>
>>     After checking the datasheets of Thompson tuner, and I have one
>> guess:
>>
>>     At board description, tda9887 is not there. This tuner needs to work
>> properly.
>>
>>     This small patch does enable it for your board.
>>
>>     You should notice that you may need to use some parameters for
>> tda0887
>> to work properly, like using port1=0 port2=0 qss=0 as insmod options for
>> this module. (these are some on/off bits at the chip, to enable some
>> special functions - if 0/0/0 doesn't work you may need to test 0/0/1, ..
>> 1/1/1).
>
> This has fixed it for me!!  I compiled todays cvs, with out this
> patch, to watch it fail, then added the line as noted, and reloaded
> the modules without rebooting, and it worked.  I did a cold start to
> see that it is repeatable, and it continues to work.  I used no extra
> parameters, so the defaults are working fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Perry
>
>> Cheers, Mauro.

>> Index: linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c
>> RCS file:
>> /cvs/video4linux/v4l-dvb/linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c,v
>> retrieving revision 1.108
>> diff -u -p -r1.108 cx88-cards.c
>> --- linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c    25 Nov 2005
>> 10:24:13 -0000    1.108
>> +++ linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c    1 Dec 2005
>> 20:56:43 -0000
>> @@ -569,6 +569,7 @@ struct cx88_board cx88_boards[] = {
>>         .radio_type     = UNSET,
>>         .tuner_addr    = ADDR_UNSET,
>>         .radio_addr    = ADDR_UNSET,
>> +        .tda9887_conf   = TDA9887_PRESENT,
>>         .input          = {{
>>             .type   = CX88_VMUX_TELEVISION,
>>             .vmux   = 0,

HURRAY!!!!!

Signed-off-by: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@m1k.net>

... I'll go add this to cvs now.

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-01 22:26                                       ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-01 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Perry Gilfillan, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linux and Kernel Video,
	Don Koch, Michael Krufky - V4L

On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:06, Perry Gilfillan wrote:
>Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> After checking the datasheets of Thompson tuner, and I have one
>> guess:
>>
>> At board description, tda9887 is not there. This tuner needs to work
>>properly.
>>
>> This small patch does enable it for your board.
>>
>> You should notice that you may need to use some parameters for
>> tda0887 to work properly, like using port1=0 port2=0 qss=0 as insmod
>> options for this module. (these are some on/off bits at the chip, to
>> enable some special functions - if 0/0/0 doesn't work you may need to
>> test 0/0/1, .. 1/1/1).
>
>This has fixed it for me!!  I compiled todays cvs, with out this patch,
>to watch it fail, then added the line as noted, and reloaded the
> modules without rebooting, and it worked.  I did a cold start to see
> that it is repeatable, and it continues to work.  I used no extra
> parameters, so the defaults are working fine.

I haven't built it yet, had to apply the patch by hand for some reason
here, after doing a cvs up -D today.

2.6.15-rc4 under construction to test it.

--

@ 2005-12-01 22:45                                         ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2005-12-01 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett
  Cc: linux-kernel, Perry Gilfillan, Mauro Carvalho Chehab,
	Linux and Kernel Video, Don Koch

Gene Heskett wrote:

>On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:06, Perry Gilfillan wrote:
>

>>Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>>

>>>After checking the datasheets of Thompson tuner, and I have one
>>>guess:
>>>
>>>At board description, tda9887 is not there. This tuner needs to work
>>>properly.
>>>
>>>This small patch does enable it for your board.
>>>
>>>You should notice that you may need to use some parameters for
>>>tda0887 to work properly, like using port1=0 port2=0 qss=0 as insmod
>>>options for this module. (these are some on/off bits at the chip, to
>>>enable some special functions - if 0/0/0 doesn't work you may need to
>>>test 0/0/1, .. 1/1/1).
>>>

>>This has fixed it for me!!  I compiled todays cvs, with out this patch,
>>to watch it fail, then added the line as noted, and reloaded the
>>modules without rebooting, and it worked.  I did a cold start to see
>>that it is repeatable, and it continues to work.  I used no extra
>>parameters, so the defaults are working fine.
>>

>I haven't built it yet, had to apply the patch by hand for some reason
>here, after doing a cvs up -D today.
>
>2.6.15-rc4 under construction to test it.

Gene, dont bother applying the patch to the cvs code -- It is obviously
correct, so I have merged it into v4l-dvb cvs.

A simple cvs checkout will get you everything you need.

If you like, try to apply it against the kernel, without using cvs.

Anyhow, surely it will work.  Thank you Gene, Don and Perry for helping
us to solve this bug......... Hopefully we'll be able to get the fix
into 2.6.15.

Cheers,

Michael Krufky

* Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem
@ 2005-12-02  0:03                                           ` Gene Heskett
       [not found]                                             ` <1133486311.2969.11.camel@frolic>
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-02  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, mkrufky
  Cc: Perry Gilfillan, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Linux and Kernel Video, Don Koch

On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:45, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>This has fixed it for me!!  I compiled todays cvs, with out this
>>> patch, to watch it fail, then added the line as noted, and reloaded
>>> the modules without rebooting, and it worked.  I did a cold start to
>>> see that it is repeatable, and it continues to work.  I used no
>>> extra parameters, so the defaults are working fine.
>>
>>I haven't built it yet, had to apply the patch by hand for some reason
>>here, after doing a cvs up -D today.
>>
>>2.6.15-rc4 under construction to test it.
>
>Gene, dont bother applying the patch to the cvs code -- It is obviously
>correct, so I have merged it into v4l-dvb cvs.

I did a cvs up -D 2005-12-1, about 1.5 hours ago and it hadn't been
applied yet.

>A simple cvs checkout will get you everything you need.
I'll resuck the whole thing.

>If you like, try to apply it against the kernel, without using cvs.

Ok, that I can probably do.  Unforch, there is a miss-cue in that
file, rc4 says:
struct cx88_board cx88_boards[] = {
        [CX88_BOARD_UNKNOWN] = {
                .name           = "UNKNOWN/GENERIC",
                .tuner_type     = UNSET,
                .radio_type     = UNSET,
                .tuner_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
                .radio_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
                .input          = {{
                        .type   = CX88_VMUX_COMPOSITE1,

Note also that the .type = label has been changed.  I'm going to change
that line back to CX88_VMUX_TELEVISION, just for grins.

While the patch says:
@@ -569,6 +569,7 @@ struct cx88_board cx88_boards[] = {
                .radio_type     = UNSET,
                .tuner_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
                .radio_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
                .tda9887_conf   = TDA9887_PRESENT,
                .input          = {{
                        .type   = CX88_VMUX_TELEVISION,
                        .vmux   = 0,
And I've added that line from the patch to just above the ".input"
line, its rebuilding now.  And a cold reboot will test it, so I'll send
this first just to let you know not all is well in tv land.

--

@ 2005-12-02  0:07                                     ` Don Koch
From: Don Koch @ 2005-12-02  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
  Cc: video4linux-list, perrye, hartmut.hackmann, linux-kernel,
	gene.heskett, mkrufky

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:00:59 -0200
Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> 	After checking the datasheets of Thompson tuner, and I have one guess:
>
> 	At board description, tda9887 is not there. This tuner needs to work
> properly.
>
> 	This small patch does enable it for your board.
>
> 	You should notice that you may need to use some parameters for tda0887
> to work properly, like using port1=0 port2=0 qss=0 as insmod options for
> this module. (these are some on/off bits at the chip, to enable some
> special functions - if 0/0/0 doesn't work you may need to test 0/0/1, ..
> 1/1/1).
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro.

Works fine here!  Thanks, Mauro!!

The default settings worked.

-d

@ 2005-12-02  4:01                                               ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-12-02  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list, mkrufky, linux-kernel; +Cc: R C

On Thursday 01 December 2005 20:18, R C wrote:
Gene adds: And damn, I've lost track of the original message that
contained this patch being discussed.  So some have been inadvertantly
left out of this thread, my apologies.

>Gene;
>
>On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 19:03 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> Ok, that I can probably do.  Unforch, there is a miss-cue in that
>> file, rc4 says:
>> struct cx88_board cx88_boards[] = {
>>         [CX88_BOARD_UNKNOWN] = {
>>                 .name           = "UNKNOWN/GENERIC",
>>                 .tuner_type     = UNSET,
>>                 .radio_type     = UNSET,
>>                 .tuner_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
>>                 .radio_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
>>                 .input          = {{
>>                         .type   = CX88_VMUX_COMPOSITE1,
>>
>> Note also that the .type = label has been changed.  I'm going to
>> change that line back to CX88_VMUX_TELEVISION, just for grins.
>>
>> While the patch says:
>> @@ -569,6 +569,7 @@ struct cx88_board cx88_boards[] = {
>>                 .radio_type     = UNSET,
>>                 .tuner_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
>>                 .radio_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
>>                 .tda9887_conf   = TDA9887_PRESENT,
>>                 .input          = {{
>>                         .type   = CX88_VMUX_TELEVISION,
>>                         .vmux   = 0,
>
>This means the patch applies _somewhere in_ that struct, not at the top
>of said struct. You're changing the entry for the default
>(unrecognized/generic) board (which won't get you anywhere), and the
>patch edits the pchdtv3000 entry (around line 569, or 530 lines below
>where you're editing)

After properly applying the patch, I'm now watching tv while booted to
2.6.15-rc4.  And it didn't take a cold boot to do it.  Hurrah!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)