From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
To: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
Cc: Rik van Riel <riel@redhat.com>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>, Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux-VServer ML <vserver@list.linux-vserver.org>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 04:33:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 06:40:24PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
> >On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> >>Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
> >>I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
> >>so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.
> >
> >Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
> >virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
> >thing to get all the code out in the open.
> >
> >I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
> >in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
> >environments.
> >
> Like many needs there are lots of solutions, none of which are perfect,
> or at least without problems the competition says are important ;-) This
> is one more thing to study, but it seems as though there is not an
> overview of the various solutions for easy comparison.
>
> This list is probably incomplete:
>  linuxjail - BSD jail is the goal
>  VMware - I use this for BSD machines
>  xen - the last I looked ran Linux, not Windows or BSD unpatched
>  UML - run Linux nicely
>  VServer - news to me

free:				commercial:

Virtual Machine (Emulators/Simulators):
(allows for unmodified guest systems)

 - Bochs			 - VMware
 - QEMU				 - SoftPC
 - Hercules			 - VirtualPC
 - GXemul
 - UAE

Para Virtualization (Hypervisor)
(requires modified guest kernels, without HW support)

 - IBM Hypervisor		 - VMware ESX
 - Xen				 - TRANGO
 - UML

Kernel Isolation (Partitioning)
(does not support guest kernels at all)

 - Linux-VServer		 - Virtuozzo
 - FreeVPS
 - OpenVZ
 - linuxjails

best,
Herbert

PS: please add stuff where appropriate ...
(not considered to be a complete list)