* fix-processing-of-obsolete-style-setup-options breaks UML arg parsing
@ 2006-01-13  1:15 Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2006-01-13  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov, akpm; +Cc: linux-kernel

UML has a bunch of parameters styled on the hd<n>= and ide<n>=
parameters which depend on matching a prefix of the command-line
argument.  This patch explicitly removes this prefix matching.

I know that this has "obsolete" written all over it, but I don't see
any more modern replacement which allows prefix matching.
module_param seems to be the more modern thing, but AFAICS, it is
matching entire command-line arguments.  Strangely, it will match when
the command-line argument is a prefix of the in-kernel parameter
string, which seems exactly backwards.

The hd<n>= and ide<n>= switches are still present, in ide_setup, using
the old mechanism, and they now seem to be broken as well.

				Jeff

* Re: fix-processing-of-obsolete-style-setup-options breaks UML arg parsing
@ 2006-01-13  4:19 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2006-01-13  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike; +Cc: akpm, linux-kernel

On Thursday 12 January 2006 20:15, Jeff Dike wrote:
> UML has a bunch of parameters styled on the hd<n>= and ide<n>=
> parameters which depend on matching a prefix of the command-line
> argument.  This patch explicitly removes this prefix matching.
>
> I know that this has "obsolete" written all over it, but I don't see
> any more modern replacement which allows prefix matching.
> module_param seems to be the more modern thing, but AFAICS, it is
> matching entire command-line arguments.  Strangely, it will match when
> the command-line argument is a prefix of the in-kernel parameter
> string, which seems exactly backwards.
>
> The hd<n>= and ide<n>= switches are still present, in ide_setup, using
> the old mechanism, and they now seem to be broken as well.

Argh, I completely missed presence of hd<n>= parameters, sorry...

Andrew, please drop it.

--
Dmitry