* RE: clarity on kref needed.
@ 2006-01-19  5:05 Mukund JB.
From: Mukund JB. @ 2006-01-19  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel

I mean I will register a char driver. I will just write a simple char kernel module to read data from the USB device and
zero copy it to the userspace application. I guess that is the minimum work we need to do.

Is there any other way using libusb/usbfs in which we can do this without a need of USB kernel driver?

> > No, I did not find any Documentation/kref.txt.
> > But I have read about kred in the link below:
> >
> http://developer.osdl.org/dev/robustmutexes/src/fusyn.hg/Docum
entation/kref.txt

> >Is kref depricated because I find nothing related to it in linux/Documentation/?

> What kernel version are you looking at?  Look in the kernel source tree
> from kernel.org.  What kernel tree are you building your driver against.

I am planning it for 2.6.11.12.

Regards,
Mukund Jampala

* RE: clarity on kref needed.
@ 2006-01-19  7:00 Mukund JB.
From: Mukund JB. @ 2006-01-19  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel

Can you give me some pointers & documentation links for HOWTO using libusb/usbfs instead of a kernel driver.

Regards,
Mukund Jampala

* RE: clarity on kref needed.
@ 2006-01-19  4:45 Mukund JB.
From: Mukund JB. @ 2006-01-19  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-kernel

> > I have gone through kref and am planning to implement then
> in my usb driver.
>
> What kind of usb driver?
It is a finger print authentication USB driver. it doesn ot do the authgentication but transports data to the application which really does some processing.

No, I did not find any Documentation/kref.txt.
But I have read about kred in the link below:
http://developer.osdl.org/dev/robustmutexes/src/fusyn.hg/Documentation/kref.txt

Is kref depricated because I find nothing related to it in linux/Documentation/?

Thanks & Regards,
Mukund Jampala

> > please terminate my misconceptions if any by correcting the
> statements below.
> >
> > In the call below:
> > kref_init(&dev->kref);
> > 	sets the refcount in the kref to 1.
>
> Yes.
>
> > kref_put(&dev->kref);
> > 	increment the refcount.
>
> Hm, don't you mean "kref_get()" here?  If so, yes, that is correct.
>
> > kref_put(&dev->kref, mem_release );
> > What I understand is when the refcount falls back to '1', only then
> > the mem_release() function will be called.
>
> No, when it falls to 0 it will be called.
>
> > Is it correct? I mean, when is the mem_release () called
> i.e. when the
> > refcount is '0' or '1'.
>
> 0.  There's an OLS paper from a few years ago that describes kref in
> detail, as well as the in-kernel documentation of it (see the file
> Documentation/kref.txt).  Did you read that?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* clarity on kref needed.
@ 2006-01-18  6:57 Mukund JB.