* Re: kernel 2.6 config for module load
@ 2006-07-02 11:53 Jim
From: Jim @ 2006-07-02 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I have a device driver which can be configurated in kernel 2.4 to be a
loadable module. But, in kernel 2.6, I made it as tristate in Kconfig.
On make menuconfig list, I can only select it to [*]NewModule for kernel
built-in, I cannot select it to [M]NewModule for loadable module
(neither did I press key M or Space key produce [M]). Is it wrong to
specify tristate in Kconfig to make a loadable module in kernel 2.6? Or
what was I missing in kernel 2.6 config?

Thank you.

Jim

* Re: kernel 2.6 config for module load
@ 2006-07-02 16:12 ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-07-02 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yh; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:53:38 +1000 Jim wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a device driver which can be configurated in kernel 2.4 to be a
> loadable module. But, in kernel 2.6, I made it as tristate in Kconfig.
> On make menuconfig list, I can only select it to [*]NewModule for kernel
> built-in, I cannot select it to [M]NewModule for loadable module
> (neither did I press key M or Space key produce [M]). Is it wrong to
> specify tristate in Kconfig to make a loadable module in kernel 2.6? Or
> what was I missing in kernel 2.6 config?

Tristate is OK.  Of course, you will also need
CONFIG_MODULES=y
to enable module support.  Is that enabled?

There are a few hundred examples of tristate loadable modules
in Kconfig files that you could look at.

---
~Randy