* Where does kernel/resource.c.1 file come from?
@ 2006-07-25 13:54 Rolf Eike Beer
From: Rolf Eike Beer @ 2006-07-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm playing around with my local copy of linux-2.6 git tree. I'm building
everything to a separate directory using O= to keep "git status" silent.

After building I sometimes find a file kernel/resource.c.1 in my git tree that
doesn't really belong there. Who is generating this file, for what reason and
why doesn't it get created in my output directory?

Eike

* Re: Where does kernel/resource.c.1 file come from?
@ 2006-07-25 15:15 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2006-07-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rolf Eike Beer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:54:45PM +0200, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing around with my local copy of linux-2.6 git tree. I'm building
> everything to a separate directory using O= to keep "git status" silent.
>
> After building I sometimes find a file kernel/resource.c.1 in my git tree that
> doesn't really belong there. Who is generating this file, for what reason and
> why doesn't it get created in my output directory?

I have never seen this myself so a bit puzzled???
Is it only kernel/resource.c that generates the .1 file - or is it
somethign that is general?
Can you also try to make sure that this file is generated as part of the
build process. git status before and after should do it.

If you can relaiably provoke it output of make V=1 would be usefull.

	Sam

* Re: Where does kernel/resource.c.1 file come from?
@ 2006-07-25 15:33   ` Rolf Eike Beer
From: Rolf Eike Beer @ 2006-07-25 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: linux-kernel

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2006 17:15 schrieb Sam Ravnborg:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:54:45PM +0200, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm playing around with my local copy of linux-2.6 git tree. I'm building
> > everything to a separate directory using O= to keep "git status" silent.
> >
> > After building I sometimes find a file kernel/resource.c.1 in my git tree
> > that doesn't really belong there. Who is generating this file, for what
> > reason and why doesn't it get created in my output directory?
>
> I have never seen this myself so a bit puzzled???
> Is it only kernel/resource.c that generates the .1 file - or is it
> somethign that is general?

No, it is always kernel/resource.c.1

> Can you also try to make sure that this file is generated as part of the
> build process. git status before and after should do it.

I've never seen anything but this file beside my local changes, which don't
affect the build process at all.

> If you can relaiably provoke it output of make V=1 would be usefull.

I'll try. Will probably take until tomorrow.

@ 2006-07-28 14:03   ` Rolf Eike Beer
From: Rolf Eike Beer @ 2006-07-28 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: linux-kernel

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2006 17:15 schrieb Sam Ravnborg:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:54:45PM +0200, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm playing around with my local copy of linux-2.6 git tree. I'm building
> > everything to a separate directory using O= to keep "git status" silent.
> >
> > After building I sometimes find a file kernel/resource.c.1 in my git tree
> > that doesn't really belong there. Who is generating this file, for what
> > reason and why doesn't it get created in my output directory?
>
> Can you also try to make sure that this file is generated as part of the
> build process. git status before and after should do it.

I did a full rebuild and did not see the file again. Weird.

@ 2006-07-28 14:10     ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2006-07-28 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rolf Eike Beer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 04:03:38PM +0200, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2006 17:15 schrieb Sam Ravnborg:
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:54:45PM +0200, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm playing around with my local copy of linux-2.6 git tree. I'm building
> > > everything to a separate directory using O= to keep "git status" silent.
> > >
> > > After building I sometimes find a file kernel/resource.c.1 in my git tree
> > > that doesn't really belong there. Who is generating this file, for what
> > > reason and why doesn't it get created in my output directory?
> >
> > Can you also try to make sure that this file is generated as part of the
> > build process. git status before and after should do it.
>
> I did a full rebuild and did not see the file again. Weird.
Let me know if you see it again - then we can try to work out what is
happening.

	Sam

* Re: Where does kernel/resource.c.1 file come from?
@ 2006-08-04 13:03     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2006-08-04 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rolf Eike Beer; +Cc: Sam Ravnborg, linux-kernel

Hi!

> > > I'm playing around with my local copy of linux-2.6 git tree. I'm building
> > > everything to a separate directory using O= to keep "git status" silent.
> > >
> > > After building I sometimes find a file kernel/resource.c.1 in my git tree
> > > that doesn't really belong there. Who is generating this file, for what
> > > reason and why doesn't it get created in my output directory?
> >
> > Can you also try to make sure that this file is generated as part of the
> > build process. git status before and after should do it.
>
> I did a full rebuild and did not see the file again. Weird.

Is not it emacs's (or other editor's?) numbered backup?

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.

* Re: Where does kernel/resource.c.1 file come from?
@ 2006-08-07  6:11       ` Rolf Eike Beer
From: Rolf Eike Beer @ 2006-08-07  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Sam Ravnborg, linux-kernel