* Battery life on Lenovo X60s
@ 2007-02-03 19:34 Casper Bruun
From: Casper Bruun @ 2007-02-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello

I and many others are having problems with battery life on the Lenovo
X60s laptop.

There have been several threads concerning this on Nabble, thinkwiki
and many other Linux sites, and the problem has always been the same:
Linux draw significantly more power than XP on this particular laptop.

Everything known about the problem is summarized here:
http://www.nabble.com/thinkpad-x60-Battery-Life--!-t1971716.html

I am posting here as a last resort, as I simply have no idea where
else to ask. What could possibly be causing this?

As I am not very technical, I'm not sure what other information you
need to look into this. Tell me if you need need config files, logs or
anything.

Can someone please look into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

* Re: Battery life on Lenovo X60s
@ 2007-02-04 13:35 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2007-02-04 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casper Bruun; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> I and many others are having problems with battery life on the Lenovo
> X60s laptop.
>
> There have been several threads concerning this on Nabble, thinkwiki
> and many other Linux sites, and the problem has always been the same:
> Linux draw significantly more power than XP on this particular
> laptop.

You did not do your research. I had "8 hours on your lap[top]"
presentation, exactly about thinkpad x60.

Solve any cpu frequency scaling problems you may have... then unload
usb. If you want to be fancy, ask Tejun for SATA powersave stuff...

								Pavel

* Re: Battery life on Lenovo X60s
       [not found] <fa.7bJzT2yHAw1twVZpYBqksfpGUy0@ifi.uio.no>
@ 2007-02-03 21:06 ` Robert Hancock
From: Robert Hancock @ 2007-02-03 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casper Bruun; +Cc: linux-kernel

Casper Bruun wrote:
> Hello
>
> I and many others are having problems with battery life on the Lenovo
> X60s laptop.
>
> There have been several threads concerning this on Nabble, thinkwiki
> and many other Linux sites, and the problem has always been the same:
> Linux draw significantly more power than XP on this particular laptop.
>
> Everything known about the problem is summarized here:
> http://www.nabble.com/thinkpad-x60-Battery-Life--!-t1971716.html
>
> I am posting here as a last resort, as I simply have no idea where
> else to ask. What could possibly be causing this?
>
> As I am not very technical, I'm not sure what other information you
> need to look into this. Tell me if you need need config files, logs or
> anything.
>
> Can someone please look into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> -

The test results supposedly show that the CPU speed isn't being reduced
when the kernel thinks it is. It looks like that test was using
speedstep-centrino as the scaling driver, you may want to see if
acpi-cpufreq works instead.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada