* Open reiserfs transactions (was Re: 2.6.19-rc5: grub is much slower resuming from suspend-to-disk than in 2.6.18)
@ 2007-02-12  9:34 Stefan Rompf
From: Stefan Rompf @ 2007-02-12  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: arvidjaar

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> This is rather funny; in 2.6.19-rc5 grub is *really* slow loading kernel
> when I switch on the system after suspend to disk. Actually, after kernel
> has been loaded, the whole resuming (up to the point I have usable desktop
> again) takes about three time less than the process of loading kernel +
> initrd. During loading disk LED is constantly lit. This almost looks like
> kernel leaves HDD in some strange state, although I always assumed HDD/IDE
> is completely reinitialized in this case.

I have the same problem since I made my desktop computer able to suspend
again. As others in this thread said, grub replays all open transactions
internally before accessing a file on an unclean reiserfs partition.

>From some tests, 2.6.19(.x) seems to keep quite a bunch of open transactions
even if I do multiple syncs just before a hard reset or echo
>/proc/acpi/sleep on an idle system. I haven't verified against 2.6.18 yet,
but there have been some non cosmetical reiserfs updates in 2.6.19. Anyone
aware of a change that may cause this behaviour?

Stefan

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-02-12  9:30 UTC | newest]