* scripts/checkpatch.pl refers to non-existent Documentation/Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt
@ 2007-06-20 20:59 Roland Dreier
From: Roland Dreier @ 2007-06-20 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Whitcroft; +Cc: linux-kernel

Commit 4a0df2ef added the following to scripts/checkpatch.pl:

    print "Use of volatile is usually wrong: see Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt\n";

but Linus's tree has no such file.  not sure what the right thing to
do here is, since I assume we do ultimately want something of the sort
in Documentation...

 - R.

* Re: scripts/checkpatch.pl refers to non-existent Documentation/Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt
@ 2007-06-20 21:03 ` Jesper Juhl
From: Jesper Juhl @ 2007-06-20 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier; +Cc: Andy Whitcroft, linux-kernel

On 20/06/07, Roland Dreier <rdreier@cisco.com> wrote:
> Commit 4a0df2ef added the following to scripts/checkpatch.pl:
>
>     print "Use of volatile is usually wrong: see Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt\n";
>
> but Linus's tree has no such file.  not sure what the right thing to
> do here is, since I assume we do ultimately want something of the sort
> in Documentation...

That document is in the -mm kernel currently. As soon as it hits
mainline from there checkpatch.pl will be right :-)

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

* Re: scripts/checkpatch.pl refers to non-existent Documentation/Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt
@ 2007-06-21  8:20 ` Andy Whitcroft
From: Andy Whitcroft @ 2007-06-21  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Dreier; +Cc: linux-kernel

Roland Dreier wrote:
> Commit 4a0df2ef added the following to scripts/checkpatch.pl:
>
>     print "Use of volatile is usually wrong: see Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt\n";
>
> but Linus's tree has no such file.  not sure what the right thing to
> do here is, since I assume we do ultimately want something of the sort
> in Documentation...

That is a little unfortuanate for sure.  As Jasper correctly indicates
this file is coming soon to a linus tree near you and things will be
accurate.  Otherwise it can be obtained from the current -mm tarball.
It can also be found here on LWN:

	http://lwn.net/Articles/234017/

-apw

* Re: scripts/checkpatch.pl refers to non-existent Documentation/Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt
@ 2007-06-23  4:05   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-06-23  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Juhl; +Cc: rdreier, apw, linux-kernel

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:03:44 +0200 "Jesper Juhl" <jesper.juhl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/06/07, Roland Dreier <rdreier@cisco.com> wrote:
> > Commit 4a0df2ef added the following to scripts/checkpatch.pl:
> >
> >     print "Use of volatile is usually wrong: see Documentation/volatile-considered-harmful.txt\n";
> >
> > but Linus's tree has no such file.  not sure what the right thing to
> > do here is, since I assume we do ultimately want something of the sort
> > in Documentation...
> >

> That document is in the -mm kernel currently. As soon as it hits
> mainline from there checkpatch.pl will be right :-)

oops.  I queued volatile-considered-harmful-take-3.patch for 2.6.22, thanks.