* make xconfig failure on 2.6.21.5
@ 2007-06-23 18:44 jimmy bahuleyan
From: jimmy bahuleyan @ 2007-06-23 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, sam, zippel

Hi,

I have a Kubuntu 7.04 distro with Qt4 development packages installed.
Trying to do a 'make xconfig' fails with:

  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  CHECK   qt
*
* Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that
* the QT development package is correctly installed and
* either install pkg-config or set the QTDIR environment
* variable to the correct location.
*
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
sed < scripts/kconfig/lkc_proto.h > scripts/kconfig/lkc_defs.h
's/P(\([^,]*\),.*/#define \1 (\*\1_p)/'
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kconfig_load.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck',
needed by `scripts/kconfig/qconf.o'.  Stop.
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

Is this a problem with my setup or that kbuild/kconfig can't handle Qt4?
I noticed that scripts/kconfig/Makefile checks for:

pkg-config --exists qt
pkg-config --exists qt-mt

whereas the Qt4 installation I have the *.pc files are:

Qt3Support.pc
QtCore.pc
QtGui.pc

and also the places where kconfig checks for qconfig.h doesn't seem to
be where Qt4 keeps it (in my installation),

/usr/share/qt4/include/QtCore/qconfig.h
/usr/share/qt4/include/Qt/qconfig.h

Anyone else run into the same problem?

-jb
--
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.

* Re: make xconfig failure on 2.6.21.5
@ 2007-06-23 22:13 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2007-06-23 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jimmy bahuleyan; +Cc: linux-kernel, zippel

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 12:14:49AM +0530, jimmy bahuleyan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Kubuntu 7.04 distro with Qt4 development packages installed.
> Trying to do a 'make xconfig' fails with:
>
>   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
>   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
>   CHECK   qt
> *
> * Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that
> * the QT development package is correctly installed and
> * either install pkg-config or set the QTDIR environment
> * variable to the correct location.
> *
>   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
> sed < scripts/kconfig/lkc_proto.h > scripts/kconfig/lkc_defs.h
> 's/P(\([^,]*\),.*/#define \1 (\*\1_p)/'
>   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kconfig_load.o
>   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
>   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
>   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
>   SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
>   HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck',
> needed by `scripts/kconfig/qconf.o'.  Stop.
> make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
>

> Is this a problem with my setup or that kbuild/kconfig can't handle Qt4?

xconfig does not yet support qt4 (IIRC).
So you will need qt3 packages to build xconfig.
Patches to introduce qt4 config without breaking qt3 config
are appreciated...

	Sam