* forcedeth ethernet driver & Low power state
@ 2007-11-25  2:52 Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2007-11-25  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I'm migrating my server from windows 2003 server to Ubuntu, but I am
stumbling over the "Low Power State Link Speed" option for my NIC
(forcedeth)

I need to disable this option in my windows driver otherwise the trough pout is
horrible because the link fluctuates constantly from 100/1000.

Anyway, my question is where and how can I turn off this feature for the
forcedeth driver? I've looked in the source and as far as I can tell there is no
bootoption for this. There are some references noted in the code, but AFAIK
no setting.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

--
Jeroen

* Re: forcedeth ethernet driver & Low power state
@ 2007-11-25  6:39 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-11-25  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen; +Cc: linux-kernel, netdev, Ayaz Abdulla

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 03:52:33 +0100 Jeroen <j.geusebroek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm migrating my server from windows 2003 server to Ubuntu, but I am
> stumbling over the "Low Power State Link Speed" option for my NIC
> (forcedeth)
>
> I need to disable this option in my windows driver otherwise the trough pout is
> horrible because the link fluctuates constantly from 100/1000.
>
> Anyway, my question is where and how can I turn off this feature for the
> forcedeth driver? I've looked in the source and as far as I can tell there is no
> bootoption for this. There are some references noted in the code, but AFAIK
> no setting.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

(cc's added)

* Re: forcedeth ethernet driver & Low power state
@ 2007-11-26  1:16     ` Denys Vlasenko
From: Denys Vlasenko @ 2007-11-26  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen; +Cc: Robert Hancock, linux-kernel

On Sunday 25 November 2007 10:59, Jeroen wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2007 7:36 PM, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > Are you sure forcedeth even supports that feature? I haven't seen any
> > code for it, and certainly it should never be enabled by default..
>
> The windows driver does. I have to disable it because otherwise I have
> lot's of connection speed troubles. This is also what i see when I use a
> linux distro on the server unfortunately I can't disable it.

You need to prepare more extensive bug report, for starters.
What are "connection speed troubles"? Which kernel version?
Do you see any "interesting" messages in kernel log?
lspci output? ethtool output? etc...
--
vda

* Re: forcedeth ethernet driver & Low power state
@ 2007-11-25 18:59   ` Jeroen
From: Jeroen @ 2007-11-25 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hancock; +Cc: linux-kernel

       [not found] <fa.XqgRE47bF/VjxtMudX1m05vea0g@ifi.uio.no>
@ 2007-11-25 18:36 ` Robert Hancock
From: Robert Hancock @ 2007-11-25 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jeroen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm migrating my server from windows 2003 server to Ubuntu, but I am
> stumbling over the "Low Power State Link Speed" option for my NIC
> (forcedeth)
>
> I need to disable this option in my windows driver otherwise the trough pout is
> horrible because the link fluctuates constantly from 100/1000.
>
> Anyway, my question is where and how can I turn off this feature for the
> forcedeth driver? I've looked in the source and as far as I can tell there is no
> bootoption for this. There are some references noted in the code, but AFAIK
> no setting.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Are you sure forcedeth even supports that feature? I haven't seen any
code for it, and certainly it should never be enabled by default..

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada