* Q: x86 suspend/hibernation code consolidation
@ 2008-01-26  0:32 Rafael J. Wysocki
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-01-26  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: H. Peter Anvin, Pavel Machek, pm list, LKML

Hi,

I'd like to move the 64-bit suspend/hibernation files from arch/x86/kernel to
arch/x86/power, modify the names of the 32-bit files already in
arch/x86/power and update the Makefiles accordingly, but there are some changes
queued for merging that touch the files in question.

When is the right time for making changes like that?

Rafael

* Re: [linux-pm] Q: x86 suspend/hibernation code consolidation
@ 2008-01-26  2:47 ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2008-01-26  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Ingo Molnar, LKML, H. Peter Anvin

On Friday 25 January 2008 19:32, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move the 64-bit suspend/hibernation files from arch/x86/kernel to
> arch/x86/power, modify the names of the 32-bit files already in
> arch/x86/power and update the Makefiles accordingly, but there are some changes
> queued for merging that touch the files in question.
>
> When is the right time for making changes like that?
>
> Rafael

In Cambridge, when we discussed cleanups that touch a lot of files
but have no functional change -- somebody suggested that right
after rc1 closes is a good time.  The reasoning was that they
would not conflict with the functional changes in rc1.

However, I recall Linus saying something about "Andrew is special"
WRT permission to push cleanups after the rc1 window; so I don't
know what the final ruling was -- if there was such a ruling.

-Len

* Re: Q: x86 suspend/hibernation code consolidation
@ 2008-01-26  9:42 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2008-01-26  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin, pm list, LKML

Hi!

> I'd like to move the 64-bit suspend/hibernation files from arch/x86/kernel to
> arch/x86/power, modify the names of the 32-bit files already in
> arch/x86/power and update the Makefiles accordingly, but there are some changes
> queued for merging that touch the files in question.

I have similar patch producing hibernation_*.S, I can send it as a
base. Moving it soon  would be nice :-).

As I'm in process of rewriting arch/x86/kernel/acpi/ , I'd prefer that
not to be moved from under me.
							Pavel

* Re: Q: x86 suspend/hibernation code consolidation
@ 2008-01-26 23:36   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-01-26 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin, pm list, LKML

On Saturday, 26 of January 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I'd like to move the 64-bit suspend/hibernation files from arch/x86/kernel to
> > arch/x86/power, modify the names of the 32-bit files already in
> > arch/x86/power and update the Makefiles accordingly, but there are some changes
> > queued for merging that touch the files in question.
>
> I have similar patch producing hibernation_*.S, I can send it as a
> base.

Well, it probably will have to be rebased anyway.  That's the problem: what to
base it on to avoid conflicts.

> Moving it soon  would be nice :-).

Yes, but I'm afraid not earlier than after the ACPI suspend tree is merged.

> As I'm in process of rewriting arch/x86/kernel/acpi/ , I'd prefer that
> not to be moved from under me.

I'm not going to touch that now. :-)

Greetings,

@ 2008-01-26 23:42   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-01-26 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown; +Cc: linux-pm, Ingo Molnar, LKML, H. Peter Anvin

On Saturday, 26 of January 2008, Len Brown wrote:
> On Friday 25 January 2008 19:32, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to move the 64-bit suspend/hibernation files from arch/x86/kernel to
> > arch/x86/power, modify the names of the 32-bit files already in
> > arch/x86/power and update the Makefiles accordingly, but there are some changes
> > queued for merging that touch the files in question.
> >
> > When is the right time for making changes like that?
> >
> > Rafael
>
> In Cambridge, when we discussed cleanups that touch a lot of files
> but have no functional change -- somebody suggested that right
> after rc1 closes is a good time.  The reasoning was that they
> would not conflict with the functional changes in rc1.
>
> However, I recall Linus saying something about "Andrew is special"
> WRT permission to push cleanups after the rc1 window; so I don't
> know what the final ruling was -- if there was such a ruling.

Well, I don't think there was a ruling, but perhaps sneaking it into -mm
after -rc1 would do the trick. ;-)

Rafael

* Re: Q: x86 suspend/hibernation code consolidation
@ 2008-01-28 14:03 ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2008-01-28 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: H. Peter Anvin, Pavel Machek, pm list, LKML

* Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:

> I'd like to move the 64-bit suspend/hibernation files from
> arch/x86/kernel to arch/x86/power, modify the names of the 32-bit
> files already in arch/x86/power and update the Makefiles accordingly,
> but there are some changes queued for merging that touch the files in
> question.

nice cleanup.

> When is the right time for making changes like that?

best would be after the x86.git merge. We could push this via x86.git in
fact, to line it up with whatever other changes there might be. -mm
would be fine too, if there are pending patches in this area in -mm.
(and i recall you did some global-scope suspend/resume changes that
might interfere?)

	Ingo

* Re: Q: x86 suspend/hibernation code consolidation
@ 2008-01-28 15:01   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-01-28 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar; +Cc: H. Peter Anvin, Pavel Machek, pm list, LKML, Len Brown

On Monday, 28 of January 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to move the 64-bit suspend/hibernation files from
> > arch/x86/kernel to arch/x86/power, modify the names of the 32-bit
> > files already in arch/x86/power and update the Makefiles accordingly,
> > but there are some changes queued for merging that touch the files in
> > question.
>
> nice cleanup.
>
> > When is the right time for making changes like that?
>
> best would be after the x86.git merge. We could push this via x86.git in
> fact, to line it up with whatever other changes there might be. -mm
> would be fine too, if there are pending patches in this area in -mm.

There is one patch in acpi.git, AFAICS, so I guess I'd have to wait for both
x86.git and acpi.git with that, which means -rc1 time frame more or less.

> (and i recall you did some global-scope suspend/resume changes that
> might interfere?)

Some of them are in acpi.git and some have been merged already.

Thanks,
Rafael