* usb detecting only high speed devices only - not detecting low speed devices
@ 2008-02-26 13:43 mahendra varman
From: mahendra varman @ 2008-02-26 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello all

In a project Iam using 7448 powerpc processor . In that board iam
using ISP 1562 philips PCI based usb controller.
The problem iam facing is in Linux level the usb ports are detecting
only ehci high speed devices(flash mem stick)
 But it is not detecting low speed devices(mouse,keyboard) and
reporting Unlink no irq..Controller probably using wrong irq.

As per ISP 1562 the same interrupt is routed to 3 functions inside one
controller( 2 ohci and 1 ehci)
 The interrupt works for the ehci device ( flash mem stick)
The same interrupt is assigned for ohci function. I removed the flash
stick and inserted an ohci device(mouse)
but iam getting unlink after no IRQ

How the interrupt works for ehci and the same interrupt not working for ohci ?

I can ensure that the IRQ assignment has been done properly as well as
I have enabled necesary configs in menuconfig for ehci and ohci

I tried linux version 2.6.12 , 2.6.16.60 and also 2.6.23  , 2.6.24 ..
In all these iam facing the above issues

Please shed some light to solve the issue

Thanks

Below are some observations
BEFORE INSERTING MOUSE
/ # cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
 12:         99  tsi108_pic Level     serial
 36:          1  tsi108_PCI_int Level     VMEBus (Tsi148)
  39:          0  tsi108_PCI_int Level     ehci_hcd:usb1,
ohci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd :usb3

AFTER INSERTING MOUSE
/ # usb 3-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
ohci_hcd 0000:01:04.1: Unlink after no-IRQ?  Controller is probably
using the wrong IRQ.

/ # cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
 12:        130  tsi108_pic Level     serial
 36:          1  tsi108_PCI_int Level     VMEBus (Tsi148)
 39:          2  tsi108_PCI_int Level     ehci_hcd:usb1,
ohci_hcd:usb2, ohci_hcd:usb3

* Re: usb detecting only high speed devices only - not detecting low speed devices
@ 2008-02-27  0:05 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2008-02-27  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahendra varman; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-usb

(cc linux-usb)

@ 2008-02-27  2:17   ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2008-02-27  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, mahendra varman; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-usb

On Tuesday 26 February 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > usb 3-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
> > ohci_hcd 0000:01:04.1: Unlink after no-IRQ?  Controller is probably
> > using the wrong IRQ.

My diagnosis hasn't changed since last time he asked this question:
it's related to IRQ handling, outside the scope of USB.  If USB
were getting the OHCI interrupts, it would not issue that message.

Now as to *why* that happens, I don't know.  We've certainly had folk
using Philips/NXP EHCI controllers successfully before.  Maybe this
board has a hardware problem, like a bad chip or not having wired
up the power lines that OHCI controller uses.

One small experiment would be to try using ports that will hand
the device off to the *other* OHCI controller on that chip.  If
it's that kind of hardware issue, it might not apply to both of
the OHCI controllers.

* Re: usb detecting only high speed devices only - not detecting low speed devices
@ 2008-03-03  9:31     ` mahendra varman
From: mahendra varman @ 2008-03-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-usb

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 7:47 AM, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 February 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
>  > > usb 3-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
>  > > ohci_hcd 0000:01:04.1: Unlink after no-IRQ?  Controller is probably
>  > > using the wrong IRQ.
>
>  My diagnosis hasn't changed since last time he asked this question:
>  it's related to IRQ handling, outside the scope of USB.  If USB
>  were getting the OHCI interrupts, it would not issue that message.
>
>  Now as to *why* that happens, I don't know.  We've certainly had folk
>  using Philips/NXP EHCI controllers successfully before.  Maybe this
>  board has a hardware problem, like a bad chip or not having wired
>  up the power lines that OHCI controller uses.

still the low speed devices are giving unlink after no IRQ.. My
hardware engineer says he followed the reference schematics of ISP1562
of philips. He says that ohci side, the power lines are wired up

My Ehci devices can be mounted and the files are read
Today I faced another issue
For some usb ehci devices its giving "device descriptor read/64, error
-71" ( for some usb stick of usb2.0)
but for others i can able to mount without this error.....

Sir, Any clue regarding the above problem iam facing currently ??

Thanks

* Re: usb detecting only high speed devices only - not detecting low speed devices
@ 2008-03-03 19:07       ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2008-03-03 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahendra varman; +Cc: Andrew Morton, linux-kernel, linux-usb

On Monday 03 March 2008, mahendra varman wrote:

> >  Now as to *why* that happens, I don't know.  We've certainly had folk
> >  using Philips/NXP EHCI controllers successfully before.  Maybe this
> >  board has a hardware problem, like a bad chip or not having wired
> >  up the power lines that OHCI controller uses.
>
> still the low speed devices are giving unlink after no IRQ..

Not at all surprising if you haven't changed anything.

You *did* verify this happens on all the ports of that chip?

> My
> hardware engineer says he followed the reference schematics of ISP1562
> of philips. He says that ohci side, the power lines are wired up
>
> My Ehci devices can be mounted and the files are read
> Today I faced another issue
> For some usb ehci devices its giving "device descriptor read/64, error
> -71" ( for some usb stick of usb2.0)
> but for others i can able to mount without this error.....
>
> Sir, Any clue regarding the above problem iam facing currently ??

I gave you all the clues I've got.  You're the one with the
uniquely mis-behaving hardware...

Time for you to work harder at debugging your problem.  You
have the hardware, the software source code, a cooperative
hardware engineer ... that's a lot more than most folk have
when they start to chase down problems like this.

- Dave