* RFC about Comedi on a patch that remove a lot fo code
@ 2009-04-24  9:28 Alessio Igor Bogani
From: Alessio Igor Bogani @ 2009-04-24  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Abbott, Frank Mori Hess, David Schleef; +Cc: Greg KH, LKML, Comedi-ml

Dear Comedi developers,

Sorry for my bad english.

I would be happy to receive your considerations about that patch:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-next&m=123792129500760&w=2

I know that some users use Comedi on dual kernel approach systems.
Obviously I don't have any against this but i think that Linux git
tree isn't the right place to support those software (RTAI, Xenomai,
RTLinux and others). Those projects already released patches against
Linux source code so it very easy for them add also patch for Comedi
drivers in the same tarball.

At the already listed 8 reasons  in that email I want added a ninth one:
9) Give more chance for interested developers to fix it against RT_PREEMPT
http://marc.info/?l=linux-rt-users&m=124049407712792&w=2

Thanks!

Ciao,
Alessio

* Re: RFC about Comedi on a patch that remove a lot fo code
@ 2009-04-24 22:51 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2009-04-24 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessio Igor Bogani
  Cc: Ian Abbott, Frank Mori Hess, David Schleef, LKML, Comedi-ml

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:28:28AM +0200, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> Dear Comedi developers,
>
> Sorry for my bad english.
>
> I would be happy to receive your considerations about that patch:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-next&m=123792129500760&w=2
>
> I know that some users use Comedi on dual kernel approach systems.
> Obviously I don't have any against this but i think that Linux git
> tree isn't the right place to support those software (RTAI, Xenomai,
> RTLinux and others). Those projects already released patches against
> Linux source code so it very easy for them add also patch for Comedi
> drivers in the same tarball.
>
> At the already listed 8 reasons  in that email I want added a ninth one:
> 9) Give more chance for interested developers to fix it against RT_PREEMPT
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-rt-users&m=124049407712792&w=2

I am siding with you, and agree all of the RT stuff should be deleted
from the in-kernel comedi code, as there is on in-kernel users of it.

Also, the recent Linux RT changes will not need any of these
driver-specific changes at all from what I can tell, so they are now
obsolete.

Frank, unless you have any major objections, I'd like to remove this
code.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: RFC about Comedi on a patch that remove a lot fo code
@ 2009-04-26 15:08   ` Frank Mori Hess
From: Frank Mori Hess @ 2009-04-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Alessio Igor Bogani, Ian Abbott, David Schleef, LKML, Comedi-ml

On Friday 24 April 2009, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:28:28AM +0200, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> > Dear Comedi developers,
> >
> > Sorry for my bad english.
> >
> > I would be happy to receive your considerations about that patch:
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-next&m=123792129500760&w=2
> >
> > I know that some users use Comedi on dual kernel approach systems.
> > Obviously I don't have any against this but i think that Linux git
> > tree isn't the right place to support those software (RTAI, Xenomai,
> > RTLinux and others). Those projects already released patches against
> > Linux source code so it very easy for them add also patch for Comedi
> > drivers in the same tarball.
> >
> > At the already listed 8 reasons  in that email I want added a ninth
> > one: 9) Give more chance for interested developers to fix it against
> > RT_PREEMPT http://marc.info/?l=linux-rt-users&m=124049407712792&w=2
>
> I am siding with you, and agree all of the RT stuff should be deleted
> from the in-kernel comedi code, as there is on in-kernel users of it.
>
> Also, the recent Linux RT changes will not need any of these
> driver-specific changes at all from what I can tell, so they are now
> obsolete.
>
> Frank, unless you have any major objections, I'd like to remove this
> code.

I'm okay with it.

* Re: RFC about Comedi on a patch that remove a lot fo code
@ 2009-04-28 22:56     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2009-04-28 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fmhess; +Cc: Alessio Igor Bogani, Ian Abbott, David Schleef, LKML, Comedi-ml

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:08:06AM -0400, Frank Mori Hess wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:28:28AM +0200, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> > > Dear Comedi developers,
> > >
> > > Sorry for my bad english.
> > >
> > > I would be happy to receive your considerations about that patch:
> > >
> > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-next&m=123792129500760&w=2
> > >
> > > I know that some users use Comedi on dual kernel approach systems.
> > > Obviously I don't have any against this but i think that Linux git
> > > tree isn't the right place to support those software (RTAI, Xenomai,
> > > RTLinux and others). Those projects already released patches against
> > > Linux source code so it very easy for them add also patch for Comedi
> > > drivers in the same tarball.
> > >
> > > At the already listed 8 reasons  in that email I want added a ninth
> > > one: 9) Give more chance for interested developers to fix it against
> > > RT_PREEMPT http://marc.info/?l=linux-rt-users&m=124049407712792&w=2
> >
> > I am siding with you, and agree all of the RT stuff should be deleted
> > from the in-kernel comedi code, as there is on in-kernel users of it.
> >
> > Also, the recent Linux RT changes will not need any of these
> > driver-specific changes at all from what I can tell, so they are now
> > obsolete.
> >
> > Frank, unless you have any major objections, I'd like to remove this
> > code.
>
> I'm okay with it.

Thanks, I've now dropped all of the rt code from the tree.

greg k-h