* ThinkPad T400 : should kernel option "reboot=pci" be hard coded ?
@ 2010-06-07  9:22 Toralf Förster
From: Toralf Förster @ 2010-06-07  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ibm-acpi-devel, linux-kernel

Since some kernel version (IIRC since 2.6.31) it is necessary to boot the
linux kernel with that option to prevent an extra 9 seconds delay during
reboot.
I found this tip on the LKML -and now I'm wondering whether this option should
be hard coded in the kernel sources b/c it seems to be necessary for current
kernels too.

--
MfG/Sincerely
Toralf Förster

pgp finger print: 7B1A 07F4 EC82 0F90 D4C2 8936 872A E508 7DB6 9DA3

* Re: ThinkPad T400 : should kernel option "reboot=pci" be hard coded ?
@ 2010-06-07 14:11 ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2010-06-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toralf Förster; +Cc: ibm-acpi-devel, linux-kernel

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:22:21AM +0200, Toralf Förster wrote:
> Since some kernel version (IIRC since 2.6.31) it is necessary to boot the
> linux kernel with that option to prevent an extra 9 seconds delay during
> reboot.
> I found this tip on the LKML -and now I'm wondering whether this option should
> be hard coded in the kernel sources b/c it seems to be necessary for current
> kernels too.

No, the best thing to do would be to figure out what changed to require
the extra 9 seconds. Are you able to work out which the last kernel
release without this timeout was?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

* Re: ThinkPad T400 : should kernel option "reboot=pci" be hard coded ?
@ 2010-06-09 11:43   ` Toralf Förster
From: Toralf Förster @ 2010-06-09 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett; +Cc: ibm-acpi-devel, linux-kernel

Hi,

Matthew Garrett wrote at 16:11:03
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:22:21AM +0200, Toralf Förster wrote:
> > Since some kernel version (IIRC since 2.6.31) it is necessary to boot the
> > linux kernel with that option to prevent an extra 9 seconds delay during
> > reboot.
> > I found this tip on the LKML -and now I'm wondering whether this option
> > should be hard coded in the kernel sources b/c it seems to be necessary
> > for current kernels too.
>
> No, the best thing to do would be to figure out what changed to require
> the extra 9 seconds. Are you able to work out which the last kernel
> release without this timeout was?
The delay exists since 2.6.27, versions before them I can't test due to
udev-149 which don't work together with version < 2.6.27.

Since version 2.6.29 that kernel boot parameter avoids the extra delay, 2.6.28
needs the 9 sec pause independend from what I specify during boot.

--
MfG/Kind regards

@ 2010-06-09 13:26 ` Nick Bowler
From: Nick Bowler @ 2010-06-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toralf Förster; +Cc: ibm-acpi-devel, linux-kernel

On 11:22 Mon 07 Jun     , Toralf Förster wrote:
> Since some kernel version (IIRC since 2.6.31) it is necessary to boot the
> linux kernel with that option to prevent an extra 9 seconds delay during
> reboot.
> I found this tip on the LKML -and now I'm wondering whether this option should
> be hard coded in the kernel sources b/c it seems to be necessary for current
> kernels too.

Wow!  That delay has been frustrating me since I bought my T500 last
year.  I had tried a couple reboot= options (triple, acpi) and they all
had the delay, so I figured it was something inherent with the system
firmware.

But reboot=pci works perfectly!  Thanks for the tip.

--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)

* Re: ThinkPad T400 : should kernel option "reboot=pci" be hard coded ?
@ 2010-07-14  5:01     ` Pedro Ribeiro
From: Pedro Ribeiro @ 2010-07-14  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toralf Förster; +Cc: Matthew Garrett, ibm-acpi-devel, linux-kernel

2010/6/9 Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster@gmx.de>:
> Hi,
>
> Matthew Garrett wrote at 16:11:03
>> On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:22:21AM +0200, Toralf Förster wrote:
>> > Since some kernel version (IIRC since 2.6.31) it is necessary to boot the
>> > linux kernel with that option to prevent an extra 9 seconds delay during
>> > reboot.
>> > I found this tip on the LKML -and now I'm wondering whether this option
>> > should be hard coded in the kernel sources b/c it seems to be necessary
>> > for current kernels too.
>>
>> No, the best thing to do would be to figure out what changed to require
>> the extra 9 seconds. Are you able to work out which the last kernel
>> release without this timeout was?
> The delay exists since 2.6.27, versions before them I can't test due to
> udev-149 which don't work together with version < 2.6.27.
>
> Since version 2.6.29 that kernel boot parameter avoids the extra delay, 2.6.28
> needs the 9 sec pause independend from what I specify during boot.
>
> --
> MfG/Kind regards
> Toralf Förster
>
> pgp finger print: 7B1A 07F4 EC82 0F90 D4C2 8936 872A E508 7DB6 9DA3

I also have a T400, and reboot=pci solves the problem for me.

Just tested with kernel 2.6.20 and the 9 second boot delay is still
there. Maybe this should be hardcoded...

Regards,
Pedro

* Re: ThinkPad T400 : should kernel option "reboot=pci" be hard coded ?
@ 2011-03-01  8:40       ` Toralf Förster
From: Toralf Förster @ 2011-03-01  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett; +Cc: Pedro Ribeiro, ibm-acpi-devel, linux-kernel

Pedro Ribeiro wrote at 07:01:28
> > Matthew Garrett wrote at 16:11:03
> >
> >> No, the best thing to do would be to figure out what changed to require
> >> the extra 9 seconds. Are you able to work out which the last kernel
> >> release without this timeout was?
> >

> I also have a T400, and reboot=pci solves the problem for me.
>
> Just tested with kernel 2.6.20 and the 9 second boot delay is still
> there. Maybe this should be hardcoded...

I'd like to point to this after a half year of lthe last email. Shouldn't it
be hard coded ?

--

@ 2011-03-01 12:35         ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2011-03-01 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toralf Förster; +Cc: Pedro Ribeiro, ibm-acpi-devel, linux-kernel

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 09:40:13AM +0100, Toralf Förster wrote:
> I'd like to point to this after a half year of lthe last email. Shouldn't it
> be hard coded ?

Windows appears to have exactly the same behaviour, so it seems that
this is working like designed.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

* Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] ThinkPad T400 : should kernel option "reboot=pci" be hard coded ?
@ 2011-03-01 20:28           ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2011-03-01 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett
  Cc: Toralf Förster, Pedro Ribeiro, linux-kernel, ibm-acpi-devel

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 09:40:13AM +0100, Toralf Förster wrote:
> > I'd like to point to this after a half year of lthe last email. Shouldn't it
> > be hard coded ?
>
> Windows appears to have exactly the same behaviour, so it seems that
> this is working like designed.

Which makes this "something we could ask Lenovo" about.  The standard rules
apply.  Assuming you do not have direct contacts in the Lenovo BIOS team
yourself, send me or to Thomas Renninger a full description of the observed
problem, and of our workaround, and what you'd like to know (e.g: what is
causing the delay?).

  Henrique Holschuh