* Re: no modules :-)
@ 2010-09-26 10:55 Martin Rogge
From: Martin Rogge @ 2010-09-26 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: bjlockie

James wrote:
> I don't like modules. :-)
>
> What is pulling this in:
>
> CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m
>
> I edited .config but make must have turned it back on.

It has been doing this for years (forcing itself upon you as soon as you
enable the MODULES & SCSI options). It is the only module doing that.

I consider the behaviour broken since it takes the option away from me to have
a static kernel with only third party software as modules. But it is no big
issue.

Martin

* Re: no modules :-)
@ 2010-09-26 13:08 ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2010-09-26 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 01:10:50AM -0400, James wrote:
>  I don't like modules. :-)
>
> What is pulling this in:
>
> CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m

Disable modules and it will disappear. I believe it is related to
CONFIG_SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC but take a look at commit
5e2fb917920c62c5ad260962471aeb578b52ac40 for some more details too...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: no modules :-)
@ 2010-09-26  2:39 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2010-09-26  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 01:10:50 -0400 James wrote:

>  I don't like modules. :-)
>
> What is pulling this in:
>
> CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m
>
> I edited .config but make must have turned it back on.
> --

If you have SCSI enabled and MODULES enabled, this kconfig symbol will be
enabled (=m) automatically.  From drivers/scsi/Kconfig (with # comments):

config SCSI_WAIT_SCAN
	tristate  # No prompt here, this is an invisible symbol.
	default m
	depends on SCSI
	depends on MODULES
# scsi_wait_scan is a loadable module which waits until all the async scans are
# complete.  The idea is to use it in initrd/ initramfs scripts.  You modprobe
# it after all the modprobes of the root SCSI drivers and it will wait until
# they have all finished scanning their buses before allowing the boot to
# proceed.  (This method is not applicable if targets boot independently in
# parallel with the initiator, or with transports with non-deterministic target
# discovery schemes, or if a transport driver does not support scsi_wait_scan.)
#
# This symbol is not exposed as a prompt because little is to be gained by
# disabling it, whereas people who accidentally switch it off may wonder why
# their mkinitrd gets into trouble.

---
~Randy

* no modules :-)