* lrzip compressed tarball of all 40 linux-2.6 kernels
@ 2011-06-04  9:45 Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2011-06-04  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

With the 2.6 linux kernel now officially finished, I'm providing an lrzip
tarball of all 40 of the 3 point kernel releases as an lrzip tarball. This is
a convenient way of getting all the releases in a relatively low bandwidth
form, and previous archives of this nature have had a few downloads so I
figured I'd complete the archive for those who want to download it and use it
as an ad for lrzip:

163.9MB:
http://ck.kolivas.org/linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar.lrz

10.3GB:
linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar

Original file is a tarball of all 3 point linux kernel release tarballs 2.6.0
to 2.6.39 coming to a grand total of 10.3GB

Of course this is a plug for lrzip on something it is particularly good at
compressing.

lrzip can be obtained here:
http:://lrzip.kolivas.org

About this archive: It was compressed with lrzip version 0.606 on a quad core
3GHz core 2 on a relatively slow external USB2 hard drive with the following

lrzip -UL 9 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar
Total time: 00:56:19.88

It would have compressed a lot faster without the -L 9 option, but given this
is the "final" archive of 2.6, I figured I'd push it a bit further. Lrzip can
compress it even further with zpaq as an option, but it makes decompression
much slower so I'd personally find the archive less useful.

Of course someone will ask how it compares to xz, so for completion:

xz -9 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar
Total time: 2:05:32.218

11067473920 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar
1535618848 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar.xz 13.8%
171879382 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar.lrz 1.6%

--
-ck

* lrzip compressed tarball of all 161 stable linux kernels
@ 2011-06-05  5:30 ` Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2011-06-05  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 19:45:25 Con Kolivas wrote:
> With the 2.6 linux kernel now officially finished, I'm providing an lrzip
> tarball of all 40 of the 3 point kernel releases as an lrzip tarball. This
> is a convenient way of getting all the releases in a relatively low
> bandwidth form, and previous archives of this nature have had a few
> downloads so I figured I'd complete the archive for those who want to
> download it and use it as an ad for lrzip:
>
> 163.9MB:
> http://ck.kolivas.org/linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar.lrz
>
> 10.3GB:
> linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar
>
> Original file is a tarball of all 3 point linux kernel release tarballs
> 2.6.0 to 2.6.39 coming to a grand total of 10.3GB
>
> Of course this is a plug for lrzip on something it is particularly good at
> compressing.
>
> lrzip can be obtained here:
> http:://lrzip.kolivas.org
>
> About this archive: It was compressed with lrzip version 0.606 on a quad
> core 3GHz core 2 on a relatively slow external USB2 hard drive with the
> following options:
>
> lrzip -UL 9 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar
> Total time: 00:56:19.88
>
> It would have compressed a lot faster without the -L 9 option, but given
> this is the "final" archive of 2.6, I figured I'd push it a bit further.
> Lrzip can compress it even further with zpaq as an option, but it makes
> decompression much slower so I'd personally find the archive less useful.
>
> Of course someone will ask how it compares to xz, so for completion:
>
> xz -9 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar
> Total time: 2:05:32.218
>
> 11067473920 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar
> 1535618848 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar.xz 13.8%
> 171879382 linux-2.6.0-2.6.39.tar.lrz 1.6%

I figured I'd do the rest as well.

Here is a tarball of all 161 stable 3 point releases from linux-1.0 to
linux-2.6.39:

211MB:
http://ck.kolivas.org/linux-1.0-2.6.39.tar.lrz

19617064960 linux-1.0-2.6.39.tar
221368298 linux-1.0-2.6.39.tar.lrz 1.1%

As compressing this workload is mostly I/O bound I performed it on an SSD
drive this time:

linux-1.0-2.6.39.tar - Compression Ratio: 88.617. Average Compression Speed:
8.026MB/s.
Total time: 00:38:50.76

--
-ck