* [KORG] Taking hera down to deal with the load issues
@ 2011-08-16 23:27 J.H.
From: J.H. @ 2011-08-16 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, users

* Re: [kernel.org users] [KORG] Taking hera down to deal with the load issues
@ 2011-08-17  8:05 ` J.H.
From: J.H. @ 2011-08-17  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, users

* Re: [kernel.org users] [KORG] Taking hera down to deal with the load issues
@ 2011-08-17 18:37   ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2011-08-17 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.H.; +Cc: linux-kernel, users

  Hi,

On Wed 17-08-11 01:05:56, J.H. wrote:
> This second kernel is at least, so far, acting a lot closer to what I'd
> expect from hera, but the disk cache is still filling.  I'm going to
> keep an eye on it for a bit longer tonight.  As a note, the only
> difference between the first 3.1-rc1 kernel and the second, that is
> currently running, was the explicit disabling of IMA and recompiling the
> kernel.
  What do you exactly mean by "disk cache is still filling"? 3.1-rc1 has
quite some changes in writeback code so it's possible something went
wrong...

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

* Re: [kernel.org users] [KORG] Taking hera down to deal with the load issues
@ 2011-08-18 18:52     ` J.H.
From: J.H. @ 2011-08-18 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: linux-kernel, users

On 08/17/2011 11:37 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> On Wed 17-08-11 01:05:56, J.H. wrote:
>> This second kernel is at least, so far, acting a lot closer to what I'd
>> expect from hera, but the disk cache is still filling.  I'm going to
>> keep an eye on it for a bit longer tonight.  As a note, the only
>> difference between the first 3.1-rc1 kernel and the second, that is
>> currently running, was the explicit disabling of IMA and recompiling the
>> kernel.
>   What do you exactly mean by "disk cache is still filling"? 3.1-rc1 has
> quite some changes in writeback code so it's possible something went
> wrong...

Mostly that it takes time to read the bits off of the spinning rust and
have it cached into memory.  Not specifically that there's something
wrong with the writeback, I'm at least not seeing one I believe.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley

* Re: [kernel.org users] [KORG] Taking hera down to deal with the load issues
@ 2011-08-19  5:14   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-08-19  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: warthog9; +Cc: linux-kernel, users

From: "J.H." <warthog9@kernel.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:05:56 -0700

> This second kernel is at least, so far, acting a lot closer to what I'd
> expect from hera, but the disk cache is still filling.  I'm going to
> keep an eye on it for a bit longer tonight.  As a note, the only
> difference between the first 3.1-rc1 kernel and the second, that is
> currently running, was the explicit disabling of IMA and recompiling the
> kernel.

I wonder if the IMA bits are generating crypto hashes for every file
modification done on the machine.

* Re: [kernel.org users] [KORG] Taking hera down to deal with the load issues
@ 2011-08-19 11:08     ` Mimi Zohar
From: Mimi Zohar @ 2011-08-19 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: warthog9, linux-kernel, users

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 22:14 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: "J.H." <warthog9@kernel.org>
> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:05:56 -0700
>
> > This second kernel is at least, so far, acting a lot closer to what I'd
> > expect from hera, but the disk cache is still filling.  I'm going to
> > keep an eye on it for a bit longer tonight.  As a note, the only
> > difference between the first 3.1-rc1 kernel and the second, that is
> > currently running, was the explicit disabling of IMA and recompiling the
> > kernel.
>
> I wonder if the IMA bits are generating crypto hashes for every file
> modification done on the machine.

Possibly, but IMA doesn't recalculate the hash for every modification.
Without the boot command line parameter 'ima_tcb', nothing should be
measured.  With 'ima_tcb', only files accessed by root are measured and
then only re-measured, if flushed from the inode cache or has been
marked changed, which occurs on __fput(), not every write.

thanks,

Mimi