* [PULL REQUEST] Ext3 & ext2 fix, quota improvement
@ 2012-01-20 16:39 Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2012-01-20 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: LKML

  Hello Linus,

  could you please pull from

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jack/linux-fs.git for_linus

The most important is an ext3 fix of corruption after power failure. The
other two patches are just minor things...

Top of the tree is 46fe44c. The full shortlog is:

Djalal Harouni (1):
      ext2: protect inode changes in the SETVERSION and SETFLAGS ioctls

Jan Kara (2):
      jbd: Issue cache flush after checkpointing
      quota: Pass information that quota is stored in system file to userspace

The diffstat is

 fs/ext2/ioctl.c       |   22 ++++++++++++++++------
 fs/jbd/checkpoint.c   |   27 ++++++++++++++++++++++-----
 fs/jbd/recovery.c     |    4 ++++
 fs/quota/dquot.c      |    8 +++++---
 include/linux/quota.h |    6 +++++-

							Thanks
								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

* Re: [PULL REQUEST] Ext3 & ext2 fix, quota improvement
@ 2012-01-20 16:44 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-01-20 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, LKML

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 05:39:10PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
>       quota: Pass information that quota is stored in system file to userspace

Was that patch posted somewhere?  How does it apply to e.g. xfs, gfs2
and ocfs2 that have always stored quota data internally?

* Re: [PULL REQUEST] Ext3 & ext2 fix, quota improvement
@ 2012-01-20 19:05   ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2012-01-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: Jan Kara, Linus Torvalds, LKML

On Fri 20-01-12 11:44:00, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 05:39:10PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> >       quota: Pass information that quota is stored in system file to userspace
>
> Was that patch posted somewhere?  How does it apply to e.g. xfs, gfs2
> and ocfs2 that have always stored quota data internally?
  It was posted back in November (but I forgot it in a topic branch thus
I'm merging it only now), looking at the post I sent it to linux-ext4 only
which was probably a bit unlucky.

Regarding other filesystems - ocfs2 and gfs2 set DQUOT_QUOTA_SYS_FILE flag
so this will now be passed properly to userspace to inform userspace
programs (but quota-tools anyway use the flag only for ext4, for other
filesystems they know quota is handled internally just by looking at
filesystem type). XFS doesn't set the flag. It does not matter in practice
as XFS doesn't use VFS quota code which cares about the flag
(dquot_quota_sync, dquot_disable) and userspace tools know XFS handles
quota internally. But maybe we could make XFS set it just for consistency?

								Honza

--

@ 2012-01-24 14:25 ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2012-01-24 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: LKML

  Hello,

On Fri 20-01-12 17:39:10, Jan Kara wrote:
>   Hello Linus,
>
>   could you please pull from
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jack/linux-fs.git for_linus
>
> The most important is an ext3 fix of corruption after power failure. The
> other two patches are just minor things...
>
> Top of the tree is 46fe44c. The full shortlog is:
>
> Djalal Harouni (1):
>       ext2: protect inode changes in the SETVERSION and SETFLAGS ioctls
>
> Jan Kara (2):
>       jbd: Issue cache flush after checkpointing
>       quota: Pass information that quota is stored in system file to userspace
  Did you just forget to pull or do you disagree with some of the changes?

								Honza

@ 2012-01-24 16:36   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-01-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, LKML

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 03:25:00PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> > Jan Kara (2):
> >       jbd: Issue cache flush after checkpointing
> >       quota: Pass information that quota is stored in system file to userspace
>   Did you just forget to pull or do you disagree with some of the changes?

FYI, I'll take my complaint back.  While waiting multiple month between
review and pull isn't nice it's probably fine by the protocol, and the
actual change looks fine.