* Please re-enable the git-commits-head mailing list
@ 2011-10-25 16:57 Boaz Harrosh
From: Boaz Harrosh @ 2011-10-25 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, Andrew Morton, git-commits-head

Hi Linus

Since the brain stroke of vger.kernel.org we stopped getting any messages on
git-commits-head@vger.kernel.org It is important because of the mirroring delay of the gits which
can take 24 h in some places. And because it is a very convenient way to look for something or in
general keep track of what's going on.

Please re-enable it. It should be as simple as:

Or something, right?

Thanks
Boaz

* Re: Please re-enable the git-commits-head mailing list
@ 2011-10-25 19:48 ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2011-10-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boaz Harrosh; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:57:19 -0700
Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@panasas.com> wrote:

> Since the brain stroke of vger.kernel.org we stopped getting any messages on
> git-commits-head@vger.kernel.org It is important because of the mirroring delay of the gits which
> can take 24 h in some places. And because it is a very convenient way to look for something or in
> general keep track of what's going on.
>
> Please re-enable it. It should be as simple as:

The commits list was discussed at the kernel summit.  The people who
are working to piece kernel.org together are aware of the value of this
list and will arrange for it when they can.  As I understand it, the
first priority remains getting the git trees back onto kernel.org to
support the merge window, though.

jon

* Re: Please re-enable the git-commits-head mailing list
@ 2011-10-25 20:40   ` Boaz Harrosh
From: Boaz Harrosh @ 2011-10-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

On 10/25/2011 12:48 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:57:19 -0700
> Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@panasas.com> wrote:
>
>> Since the brain stroke of vger.kernel.org we stopped getting any messages on
>> git-commits-head@vger.kernel.org It is important because of the mirroring delay of the gits which
>> can take 24 h in some places. And because it is a very convenient way to look for something or in
>> general keep track of what's going on.
>>
>> Please re-enable it. It should be as simple as:
>
> The commits list was discussed at the kernel summit.  The people who
> are working to piece kernel.org together are aware of the value of this
> list and will arrange for it when they can.  As I understand it, the
> first priority remains getting the git trees back onto kernel.org to
> support the merge window, though.
>
> jon

Thanks Jonathan.

Most important that it was not forgotten. We can wait a merge window that's
fine.

@ 2012-02-06 13:30   ` Boaz Harrosh
From: Boaz Harrosh @ 2012-02-06 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet, Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

On 10/25/2011 09:48 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:57:19 -0700
> Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@panasas.com> wrote:
>
>> Since the brain stroke of vger.kernel.org we stopped getting any messages on
>> git-commits-head@vger.kernel.org It is important because of the mirroring delay of the gits which
>> can take 24 h in some places. And because it is a very convenient way to look for something or in
>> general keep track of what's going on.
>>
>> Please re-enable it. It should be as simple as:
>
> The commits list was discussed at the kernel summit.  The people who
> are working to piece kernel.org together are aware of the value of this
> list and will arrange for it when they can.  As I understand it, the
> first priority remains getting the git trees back onto kernel.org to
> support the merge window, though.
>
> jon

So what is the final disposition on git-commits-head@vger.kernel.org?
Was it decided not to have it anymore? or was it just forgotten?

If it was decided to not use it anymore. Would it help to protest?
But if it is really gone, It be best to remove the mailing list and
it's reference from: http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

It has been an important tool in the past. I'm sorry to see it go.

@ 2012-02-06 16:05     ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2012-02-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boaz Harrosh; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:30:53 +0200
Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@panasas.com> wrote:

> So what is the final disposition on git-commits-head@vger.kernel.org?
> Was it decided not to have it anymore? or was it just forgotten?

Certainly I've heard nothing about it.  I've been occasionally agitating
for a status report from kernel.org in general, but I guess they're still
too busy putting pieces back together to do that.

I naturally had to make my own arrangements a long time ago.  Rolling
one's own mail feed isn't that hard to do.  What I've been hacking on more
recently, though, is an NNTP gateway that allows me to watch what's up
with an arbitrary number of repositories using a news reader.  I'll
probably toss the source out in the very near future, and may make feeds
available if that is useful to anybody.

jon