* MD and rotational attribute
@ 2012-02-20 12:20 Karel Zak
       [not found] ` <20120227104230.125cb9e2@notabene.brown>
From: Karel Zak @ 2012-02-20 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-raid

Hi Neil,

I guess that something is wrong with MD. If you create a RAID on ssd
(or scsi_debug in my example) than MD device is reported as rotational.
Simple example:

 modprobe scsi_debug dev_size_mb=500
 fdisk /dev/sdb
 mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb{1,2}

 # cat /sys/block/sdb/queue/rotational
 0
 # cat /sys/block/md0/queue/rotational
 1

It seems like a bug.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: MD and rotational attribute
       [not found] ` <20120227104230.125cb9e2@notabene.brown>
@ 2012-02-27  0:18   ` Martin K. Petersen
From: Martin K. Petersen @ 2012-02-27  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NeilBrown; +Cc: Karel Zak, linux-kernel, linux-raid, Martin K.Petersen

Neil,

Neil> (I would say that the name 'rotational' is a bug - the issues here
Neil> is really whether seek is fast or slow is it not??... but no
Neil> matter).

Both the ATA and SCSI specs use the term 'rotational' which I guess is
how we ended up with that name.

Neil> What do you think Martin?  Should QUEUE_FLAG_NONROT move to
Neil> queue_limits much like QUEUE_FLAG_CLUSTER did?

Absolutely. I posted some patches converting both the nonrot and
discard/secure discard queue flags a while back but they didn't go
in. I'll freshen up the kit and resend...

* Re: MD and rotational attribute
@ 2012-02-27  0:40     ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2012-02-27  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin K. Petersen; +Cc: Karel Zak, linux-kernel, linux-raid