* TAOS Color sensor
@ 2012-04-02 17:28 Jon Brenner
From: Jon Brenner @ 2012-04-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jic23; +Cc: linux-iio, linux-kernel

There is a need to release a driver for the TAOS tsl3x7x family of COLOR
sensors.
The driver provides Lux (clear and IR) , Proximity, Color temperature
(calculated CCT) and raw - red, green, and blue data channels.
Currently I do not think the IIO subsystem provides for CT or RGB data
channels.
Is this correct?
What can be done to accommodate it and who can do it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jon

* Re: TAOS Color sensor
@ 2012-04-02 18:05 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-04-02 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Brenner; +Cc: jic23, linux-iio, linux-kernel

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 12:28:39PM -0500, Jon Brenner wrote:
> There is a need to release a driver for the TAOS tsl3x7x family of COLOR
> sensors.
> The driver provides Lux (clear and IR) , Proximity, Color temperature
> (calculated CCT) and raw - red, green, and blue data channels.
> Currently I do not think the IIO subsystem provides for CT or RGB data
> channels.
> Is this correct?
> What can be done to accommodate it and who can do it?

Do you have a driver written already for this?  What is the interface to
the device?  If this can this use the v4l layer to get the color channel
information out to userspace?

Or is this needed to be done in the kernel at all, lots of color sensors
are driven by libusb today, like the one on my desk at the moment, no
kernel changes needed at all.

thansk,

greg k-h

* RE: TAOS Color sensor
@ 2012-04-02 18:43   ` Jon Brenner
From: Jon Brenner @ 2012-04-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: jic23, linux-iio, linux-kernel

Hi Greg,
Please see comments below.

Jon

linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: TAOS Color sensor
>
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 12:28:39PM -0500, Jon Brenner wrote:
> > There is a need to release a driver for the TAOS tsl3x7x family of
> > COLOR sensors.
> > The driver provides Lux (clear and IR) , Proximity, Color
temperature
> > (calculated CCT) and raw - red, green, and blue data channels.
> > Currently I do not think the IIO subsystem provides for CT or RGB
data
> > channels.
> > Is this correct?
> > What can be done to accommodate it and who can do it?
>
> Do you have a driver written already for this?  What is the interface
to the
> device?  If this can this use the v4l layer to get the color channel
information out
> to userspace?

Driver is in development - near ready - customers waiting.
The device tsl3x7x device interface is i2c.
The RGBC is used to promote both ALS sensing (Lux and intensity) and
Color Temp.  Proximity sensing is also available on some 3x7x devices.
The driver takes into account the type (thickness, color, aperture size,
etc.) of the glass it's behind (typically in phones, tvs. Etc) and
computes ALS and CT.
RGB can help provide more precise Lux - esp. under florescent lighting.
Raw RGB data is available (as is clear and IR)  - via sysfs.
While I can map the RGB for channels, there doesn't appear to be an IIO
virtual channel name (such as LIGHT - for computed ALS) defined for CT.
It would also be nice to have RGB channel designation established.

> Or is this needed to be done in the kernel at all, lots of color
sensors are driven
> by libusb today, like the one on my desk at the moment, no kernel
changes
> needed at all.
>
> thansk,
>
> greg k-h

* RE: TAOS Color sensor
@ 2012-04-02 18:45     ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2012-04-02 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Brenner, Greg KH; +Cc: jic23, linux-iio, linux-kernel

Jon Brenner <jbrenner@TAOSinc.com> wrote:

>Hi Greg,
>Please see comments below.
>
>Jon

Congratulations! You get to propose a suitable interface...

Best option is probably a patch to the sysfs docs covering the new elements.

Could do it in userspace but with interrupts and existing interface for other part elements seems reasonable to be in kernel to me...