* No more Linux 2.4 releases
@ 2012-04-09 13:30 Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2012-04-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

15 months ago I announced that if no more critical fix was to be merged
by one year, 2.4 would be EOLed after a year (around december 2011). The
break-in of last year made things a bit difficult for some users but
nothing really important for 2.4 users was merged since, so the EOL had
no reason to be delayed.

However since the break-in, I was surprized to see that some users have
asked where to find the 2.4 git tree to pick some fixes from it. After
discussing with several of them, it appears that they're not really
interested in releases, rather just in having a place where fixes are
centralized and that the git tree is perfect for this. So I revived the
git tree in my account and will probably push a patch there once in a
while if people ask for this, but with no guarantees.

Anyway I don't intend to waste any more space on kernel.org with tar.gz
files nor patches that too few people use.

The repository is now available here :

   http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/wtarreau/linux-2.4.git

If anyone has any question, feel free to ask.

Willy

* Re: No more Linux 2.4 releases
@ 2012-04-09 15:22 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-04-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Tarreau; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Monday 09 April 2012, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> However since the break-in, I was surprized to see that some users have
> asked where to find the 2.4 git tree to pick some fixes from it. After
> discussing with several of them, it appears that they're not really
> interested in releases, rather just in having a place where fixes are
> centralized and that the git tree is perfect for this. So I revived the
> git tree in my account and will probably push a patch there once in a
> while if people ask for this, but with no guarantees.

Thanks for putting it back. I was recently in the situation of trying
to figure out where some code came from. Having an easy way to see
if it was in 2.4 definitely helps there.

I'm still looking for a copy of the "historic" kernels that we used
to have on kernel.org, but that's not your problem.

	Arnd

* Re: No more Linux 2.4 releases
@ 2012-04-09 15:56   ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2012-04-09 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 03:22:37PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

 > I'm still looking for a copy of the "historic" kernels that we used
 > to have on kernel.org, but that's not your problem.

http://archive.org/details/git-history-of-linux

	Dave

* Re: No more Linux 2.4 releases
@ 2012-04-09 16:14     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-04-09 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones; +Cc: Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel

On Monday 09 April 2012, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 03:22:37PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
>  > I'm still looking for a copy of the "historic" kernels that we used
>  > to have on kernel.org, but that's not your problem.
>
> http://archive.org/details/git-history-of-linux

Cool, thanks a lot!

	Arnd

* Re: No more Linux 2.4 releases
@ 2012-04-09 20:48   ` Thorsten Kranzkowski
From: Thorsten Kranzkowski @ 2012-04-09 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 03:22:37PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> I'm still looking for a copy of the "historic" kernels that we used
> to have on kernel.org, but that's not your problem.

I recently found something here:

http://147.52.159.12/mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davej/history.git
http://147.52.159.12/mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/old-2.6-bkcvs.git

Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski        Internet: dl8bcu@dl8bcu.de                      |
| Mobile: ++49 170 1876134       Snail: Kiebitzstr. 14, 49324 Melle, Germany  |

* Re: No more Linux 2.4 releases
@ 2012-04-10 11:20     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-04-10 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dl8bcu, Dave Jones; +Cc: Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel

On Monday 09 April 2012, Thorsten Kranzkowski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 03:22:37PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > I'm still looking for a copy of the "historic" kernels that we used
> > to have on kernel.org, but that's not your problem.
>
> I recently found something here:
>
> http://147.52.159.12/mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davej/history.git
> http://147.52.159.12/mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/old-2.6-bkcvs.git

Ok, thanks,

While the archive.org repository that Dave mentioned has a good history leading
up to v2.6.12, these ones add the stable branches (v2.4, v2.2, v2.0, ...) and
the missing tags. I think I've got it all now.

	Arnd

* Re: No more Linux 2.4 releases
@ 2012-04-11 21:11       ` Jiri Kosina
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2012-04-11 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: dl8bcu, Dave Jones, Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > > I'm still looking for a copy of the "historic" kernels that we used
> > > to have on kernel.org, but that's not your problem.
> >
> > I recently found something here:
> >
> > http://147.52.159.12/mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davej/history.git
> > http://147.52.159.12/mirrors/ftp.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/old-2.6-bkcvs.git
>
> Ok, thanks,
>
> While the archive.org repository that Dave mentioned has a good history leading
> up to v2.6.12, these ones add the stable branches (v2.4, v2.2, v2.0, ...) and
> the missing tags. I think I've got it all now.

How about we push it to kernel.org? The one Thomas is having there seems
to go back to 2.5-times only.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs