* Re: Bug reports on the psb-gfx driver
       [not found] <CAJqTQGEe6rGw4_f-7o2DUZs1J9a=pACuX4KYkLfA0_McMC2Ukg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-04-17 11:25 ` Kristoffer Eriksson
       [not found]   ` <CAJqTQGFD=CCRQGFrhiVk5dEp0bCZ7KbSOsd0HSi_jeSQ4yd9bg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Kristoffer Eriksson @ 2012-04-17 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Håvar Nøvik; +Cc: alan, linux-kernel, dri-devel

Håvar Nøvik skrev 2012-04-17 12:53:
> Hi,

Greetings,
> I'm experiencing a bug with the driver after a kernel upgrade (3.2 ->
> 3.3). Every once in a while the screen is blacking out for a second or
> two.
>
> Anyways, I was wondering where I could look at bug reports or report a
> new one if I can't find a similar?

Ive done a fresh build and Im seeing that same issue that you are
describing. In a frequency of about 5-15mins it blackens and then returns
within 1-2 seconds. Could you give us a dmesg output? I will do some
bugtracking once I get back to my laptop.
Alan, any thoughts?

PS: Thanks for the great work on a GMA 500 driver!

Alan is the one to thank. :)

@ 2012-04-18 21:21     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2012-04-18 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Håvar Nøvik; +Cc: Kristoffer Eriksson, linux-kernel, dri-devel, alan

> That frequency seems about the same as the one I'm experiences. All though
> some times it's more often, but I can't say I've done anything special at
> the same time.
>
> 3.3.2-1-ARCH
> Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z520 @ 1.33GHz

What X display server are you using (fbdev or other ?). Also I see a few
writes to the brightness in the log - did you fiddle with the brightness
by hand at all ?

Either way I suspect the only way to find this is to verify a
configuration it occurs on, go back a kernel, verify it doesn't happen
there and then build a kernel to the point in the git tree before the
gma500 patches were changed (to check its not caused by something else
such as an ACPI change), then try and find which one caused it.

That will be tedious but unfortunately I've got no documentation or other
good ways to chase this down.

Alan

@ 2012-04-22  9:46 ` Kristoffer Eriksson
From: Kristoffer Eriksson @ 2012-04-22  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Håvar Nøvik, alan, linux-kernel

Greetings,

Please try 3.4 and see if the issue remains. Currently running 3.4-RC3
and cant see it happening at all.

Best wishes
Kristoffer

@ 2012-04-23 10:23   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2012-04-23 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristoffer Eriksson; +Cc: Håvar Nøvik, linux-kernel

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:46:27 +0200
Kristoffer Eriksson <kristoffer.ericson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Please try 3.4 and see if the issue remains. Currently running
> 3.4-RC3 and cant see it happening at all.

Interesting. Guillaume Clements also root caused it on his system and
sent a patch to dri-devel. That is also probably worth trying.

Alan

* Re: Bug reports on the psb-gfx driver
@ 2012-04-26 19:22       ` Kristoffer Eriksson
From: Kristoffer Eriksson @ 2012-04-26 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Håvar Nøvik, linux-kernel, dri-devel, alan

Alan Cox skrev 2012-04-18 23:21:
>> That frequency seems about the same as the one I'm experiences. All though
>> some times it's more often, but I can't say I've done anything special at
>> the same time.
>>
>> 3.3.2-1-ARCH
>> Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z520 @ 1.33GHz

> What X display server are you using (fbdev or other ?). Also I see a few
> writes to the brightness in the log - did you fiddle with the brightness
> by hand at all ?
Alan,

Without looking at the code I can say that those brightness commands are
not related to this
issue since Ive been having them since the first working kernel version.
Havent had time to look at the code but Ive understod them to happen
simply when you
press a key to return from backlight suspend. Something like the default
brightness setting that gets invoked
after return from suspend.

Håvar see
[ 7659.177126] gma500 0000:00:02.0: Backlight lvds set brightness 186a186a

while I see
[....] gma500 0000:00:02.0: Backlight lvds set brightness 7a127a12

> Either way I suspect the only way to find this is to verify a
> configuration it occurs on, go back a kernel, verify it doesn't happen
> there and then build a kernel to the point in the git tree before the
> gma500 patches were changed (to check its not caused by something else
> such as an ACPI change), then try and find which one caused it.
Will do further fresh builds to see if I can reproduce the blanking
issue and also
test out the patch.