* Getting debugfs mountpoint?
@ 2012-09-15  1:49 Jacob Sowles
From: Jacob Sowles @ 2012-09-15  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Is there an easy way to get the path to where debugfs is mounted? I
found a function called debugfs_find_mountpoint(), which is exactly
what I want, but it’s not exported, so I can’t use it. The only
exported debugfs functions that I could find are the ones that create,
remove, etc.

Jacob

* Re: Getting debugfs mountpoint?
@ 2012-09-15  1:57 ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2012-09-15  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Sowles; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 06:49:01PM -0700, Jacob Sowles wrote:
> Is there an easy way to get the path to where debugfs is mounted? I
> found a function called debugfs_find_mountpoint(), which is exactly
> what I want, but it’s not exported, so I can’t use it. The only
> exported debugfs functions that I could find are the ones that create,
> remove, etc.

More to the point, it's a userland function.  Why would you want that
kernel-side?

* Re: Getting debugfs mountpoint?
@ 2012-09-15  2:07   ` Jacob Sowles
From: Jacob Sowles @ 2012-09-15  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro; +Cc: linux-kernel

Multiple instances of my code can be run simultaneously, and all
instances use the same debugfs directory, so I need the path to the
debugfs root directory so that I can use filp_open to get the dentry
for that directory.

Jacob

@ 2012-09-15  2:11     ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2012-09-15  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Sowles; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 07:07:43PM -0700, Jacob Sowles wrote:
> Multiple instances of my code can be run simultaneously, and all
> instances use the same debugfs directory, so I need the path to the
> debugfs root directory so that I can use filp_open to get the dentry
> for that directory.

What's wrong with just storing a pointer to that dentry in a variable?
And what do you want an opened file (of a directory, at that) on debugfs?

* Re: Getting debugfs mountpoint?
@ 2012-09-15  2:17       ` Jacob Sowles
From: Jacob Sowles @ 2012-09-15  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro; +Cc: linux-kernel

The first instance of my code calls debugfs_create_file and stores a
pointer to the dentry of that directory. But when the second instance
calls debugfs_create_file, the function returns NULL because that
directory already exists, so it doesn't return the dentry that I need.

@ 2012-09-15  2:19         ` Jacob Sowles
From: Jacob Sowles @ 2012-09-15  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro; +Cc: linux-kernel

debugfs_create_dir, rather. Not debugfs_create_file.

@ 2012-09-15  2:27         ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2012-09-15  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Sowles; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 07:17:12PM -0700, Jacob Sowles wrote:
> The first instance of my code calls debugfs_create_file and stores a
> pointer to the dentry of that directory. But when the second instance
> calls debugfs_create_file, the function returns NULL because that
> directory already exists, so it doesn't return the dentry that I need.

... and?  Ever heard of that thing called "global variable"?

* Re: Getting debugfs mountpoint?
@ 2012-09-16 20:23 ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2012-09-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Sowles; +Cc: linux-kernel

>From userspace? Something like:

  grep " debugfs " /proc/mounts | awk '{print $2}' | xargs echo -e

>From kernel space? There isn't guaranteed to be _one_, you can mount
multiple instances of most filesystems, and with container support you can
even have multiple debugfs superblocks.

Rob