From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br>
To: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Cc: Peter Hurley <peter@hurleysoftware.com>,
	"zhenzhong.duan@oracle.com" <zhenzhong.duan@oracle.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>, "x86@kernel.org" <x86@kernel.org>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] x86: mtrr: Constrain WB MTRR to max phys mem prior to cleanup
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:11:07 -0300	[thread overview]

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> PAT support are lacking only in the Pentium Pro and Pentium II.  Sorry, if
> you're using crap that old, you don't get to screw up the kernel for
> everyone else.

PAT is blacklisted for x86_model < 15 on Intel, which covers a lot
more boxes than p-pro and pII.  There is a comment on kernel/cpu/intel.c:

        /*
         * There is a known erratum on Pentium III and Core Solo
         * and Core Duo CPUs.
         * " Page with PAT set to WC while associated MTRR is UC
         *   may consolidate to UC "
         * Because of this erratum, it is better to stick with
         * setting WC in MTRR rather than using PAT on these CPUs.
         *
         * Enable PAT WC only on P4, Core 2 or later CPUs.
         */
        if (c->x86 == 6 && c->x86_model < 15)
                clear_cpu_cap(c, X86_FEATURE_PAT);

Intel doesn't make it easy to get all processor specification updates at
once so that I could hunt down every processor which acknowledges the
existence of that errata before replying, so I will assume for the moment
that the comment is mostly correct.

  Henrique Holschuh