* what's the next LTSI kernel version for long-term support
@ 2013-02-26  3:06 Barry Song
From: Barry Song @ 2013-02-26  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Arnd Bergmann; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, LKML, Binghua Duan

Hi Greg/All,
we have seen 3.4 was announced to be an LTSI in Aug, 2012. I'd like to
know what is the next LTSI version since we might want to align our
next release with LTSI.
That might help us to plan the release cycle.
BTW, how many people and SoC vendors in ARM communicaty want to align
your releases with LTSI?

Thanks
barry

* Re: what's the next LTSI kernel version for long-term support
@ 2013-02-26  3:35 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2013-02-26  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Song; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel, LKML, Binghua Duan

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:06:56AM +0800, Barry Song wrote:
> Hi Greg/All,
> we have seen 3.4 was announced to be an LTSI in Aug, 2012. I'd like to
> know what is the next LTSI version since we might want to align our
> next release with LTSI.

Who is "we" here?

> That might help us to plan the release cycle.

As I've stated before, I do not announce the long-term kernel ahead of
time, we did that once in the past and it was a total mess.  I announce
it _after_ the kernel is released.

I have also stated that 3.8 is NOT going to be a long-term kernel, that
would mean I would be handling 3 long-term kernels at once, plus 1-2
"normal" stable kernels.  That is a sure way to drive me crazy and burn
out.

> BTW, how many people and SoC vendors in ARM communicaty want to align
> your releases with LTSI?

I do not know.  There was an LTSI meeting last week at ELC where this
was discussed, I suggest you ask the people who attended it. I was
there, but it's not up to me to release the meeting minutes, and I
wasn't taking notes, sorry.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: what's the next LTSI kernel version for long-term support
@ 2013-02-26  3:46   ` Barry Song
From: Barry Song @ 2013-02-26  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel, LKML, Binghua Duan

2013/2/26 Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:06:56AM +0800, Barry Song wrote:
>> Hi Greg/All,
>> we have seen 3.4 was announced to be an LTSI in Aug, 2012. I'd like to
>> know what is the next LTSI version since we might want to align our
>> next release with LTSI.
>
> Who is "we" here?

people.

>> That might help us to plan the release cycle.
>
> As I've stated before, I do not announce the long-term kernel ahead of
> time, we did that once in the past and it was a total mess.  I announce
> it _after_ the kernel is released.
>
> I have also stated that 3.8 is NOT going to be a long-term kernel, that
> would mean I would be handling 3 long-term kernels at once, plus 1-2
> "normal" stable kernels.  That is a sure way to drive me crazy and burn
> out.

if so, is there a time window for next LTSI? i am hoping there will be
another one in this year?

>> BTW, how many people and SoC vendors in ARM communicaty want to align
>> your releases with LTSI?
>
> I do not know.  There was an LTSI meeting last week at ELC where this
> was discussed, I suggest you ask the people who attended it. I was
> there, but it's not up to me to release the meeting minutes, and I
> wasn't taking notes, sorry.

ok.

@ 2013-02-26  3:55     ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2013-02-26  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Song; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel, LKML, Binghua Duan

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:46:04AM +0800, Barry Song wrote:
> 2013/2/26 Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>:
> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:06:56AM +0800, Barry Song wrote:
> >> Hi Greg/All,
> >> we have seen 3.4 was announced to be an LTSI in Aug, 2012. I'd like to
> >> know what is the next LTSI version since we might want to align our
> >> next release with LTSI.
> >
> > Who is "we" here?
> >
> people.

I don't take anonymous "we want this" requests serious at all, sorry.
Please provide details as you are asking me to do work for you, right?

greg k-h

* Re: what's the next LTSI kernel version for long-term support
@ 2013-02-26  5:36       ` Barry Song
From: Barry Song @ 2013-02-26  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel, LKML, Binghua Duan

Hi Greg,

2013/2/26 Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:46:04AM +0800, Barry Song wrote:
>> >
>> > Who is "we" here?
>> >
>> people.
>
> I don't take anonymous "we want this" requests serious at all, sorry.
> Please provide details as you are asking me to do work for you, right?

i just want to get some generic information not specific to any SoC
vendor at all :-)

@ 2013-02-26  6:21         ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2013-02-26  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Song; +Cc: Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel, LKML, Binghua Duan

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 01:36:09PM +0800, Barry Song wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> 2013/2/26 Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>:

> >> people.
> >
> > I don't take anonymous "we want this" requests serious at all, sorry.
> > Please provide details as you are asking me to do work for you, right?
> >

> i just want to get some generic information not specific to any SoC
> vendor at all :-)

Then my generic response is going to be, "It will be announced when it
will be announced."

sorry,

greg k-h