* A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 14:53 andreas.thalhammer
From: andreas.thalhammer @ 2013-11-03 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello LKML!

I am a Linux Desktop user since around 2001. Doing the math, that’s more than
a decade!

Having watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjRAKuis7T8 (LinuxCon 2013, Dirk
Hohndel and Linus Torvalds on stage) I decided to share an idea I had to make
kernel building easier for computer end-users:

How aboud a free and open hardware database for configuring Linux?

My idea would make a very simple to get kernel configuration for a modulized
hardware and feature base. It should be some kind of open for everybody
database in which everyone may participate.

(This would off course only be of use for power users or developers. Regular
users will use stock kernels from their Linux distribution anyway. BTW, I use
Gentoo Linux.)

An example:
My computer is a PC. The motherboard is an MSI 890FXA-GD70, it has an AMD
Phenom II X6 1090T in the CPU slot. So this setup would be the basic entry to
look for, which will provide a kernel configurtion for this specific hardware.
For example, the module for the Fintek F71889ED Super IO Sensor has to be
selected (CONFIG_SENSORS_F71882FG) as well as CONFIG_SENSORS_K10TEMP for the
CPU.

I  know lm_sensors has a tools for that already: sensors-detect. But not
everything is covered there, is there?

Then I would also combine this config with a config module for my graphics
card. It is a Radeon HD 6770, so readonkms has to be selected properly. Some
kernel parameters may also be wise, such as video=radeondrmfb, radeon.aspm=1
and radeon.dpm=1.

It should also be possible to combine this config with a config module for my
monitor. This will show that the resolution of this monitor is 1680x1050.
Unfortunately this resultution is not part of the VESA BIOS, so the kernel
command-line parameter video=radeondrmfb will be expanded by 1680x1050-32@60.

Some basic profiles may define how the PC will be used: i.e. as a file server,
as a Desktop conputer or as a gaming computer. A "cutting edge with all the
new features" profile may select everything that is usable for this computer.

Every ISA/EISA/VLB/PCI/AGP/PCIe expansion card can and will add some config
settings to the big kernel configuration. I.e. if you had a DVB-TV card or
whatever.

A basic "All USB-end-user-devices" config module for all possible USB devices
may select everything except those self-made stuff, like a thermal probe. On
the other hand, specific stuff should be allowed too. I.e. the Digitus
Cardreader All-in-one, USB 3.0 (DA-70330) – is a specific reader module
required (CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_*)?

In the end there would be a hardware database, maybe combined with a wiki,
that includes developer information like hardware addresses and such as well
as user reports and kernel configuration modules for that hardware.

Jumping to a newer kernel will automatically set the new/changed
CONFIG_SOMETHING for the selected profile.

This would also be handy for Laptops and very narrow configured hardware such
as Apple computers (my Power Mac G4 for example).

A tool for this could go into the kernel sources. It would detect the hardware
present in the system using everything that is available (e.g. lspci) and show
a configuration menu (make config-alike) that will enable the user to select
or deselect specific hardware config modules and profiles (i.e. "file
server").

Compiling a new kernel will then not result in searching the whole kernel
config for new or changed options like it is now (just recently I had to
change video=radeonfb to video=radeonkmsfb in my GRUB config).

For kernel developers this could also be a very useful tool, because users can
point to the specific hardware that makes troubles on Linux. And, like it is
in a community, developers may be able to reach users willing to participate
in testing new patches for fixing these troubles…

This is just an idea. Now it’s out there – do with it whatever you like. The
idea is hereby released under the GPL-2 :-)

* Re: A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 16:18 ` Aldo Iljazi
From: Aldo Iljazi @ 2013-11-03 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andreas.thalhammer; +Cc: linux-kernel

 andreas.thalhammer@linux.com wrote:

> [...]
> present in the system using everything that is available (e.g. lspci) and show
> a configuration menu (make config-alike) that will enable the user to select
> or deselect specific hardware config modules and profiles (i.e. "file
> server").
>
> Compiling a new kernel will then not result in searching the whole kernel
> config for new or changed options like it is now (just recently I had to
> change video=radeonfb to video=radeonkmsfb in my GRUB config).
>
> For kernel developers this could also be a very useful tool, because users can
> point to the specific hardware that makes troubles on Linux. And, like it is
> in a community, developers may be able to reach users willing to participate
> in testing new patches for fixing these troubles…
>
> This is just an idea. Now it’s out there – do with it whatever you like. The
> idea is hereby released under the GPL-2 :-)

So, you are saying that this should be available for power users only,
since it requires kernel compilation.

I have a few points to make.

1. Wouldn't power users know how to configure the kernel anyway for
their system?

2. What about future hardware upgrades (on both a laptop and desktop
machines).

3. What's wrong with stock distribution kernels?

4. Wouldn't this take a great amount of manpower for I guess minimum
benefits?
--
Aldo Iljazi

* Re: A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 16:43   ` andreas.thalhammer
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: andreas.thalhammer @ 2013-11-03 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aldo Iljazi; +Cc: linux-kernel

Your message from Sunday, 03rd November 2013:
> [...]
> > users can point to the specific hardware that makes troubles on Linux.
> > And, like it is in a community, developers may be able to reach users
> > willing to participate in testing new patches for fixing these troubles…
> >
> > This is just an idea. Now it’s out there – do with it whatever you like.
> > The idea is hereby released under the GPL-2 :-)
> > --
>
> So, you are saying that this should be available for power users only,
> since it requires kernel compilation.
>
> I have a few points to make.
>
> 1. Wouldn't power users know how to configure the kernel anyway for
> their system?
>
> 2. What about future hardware upgrades (on both a laptop and desktop
> machines).
>
> 3. What's wrong with stock distribution kernels?
>
> 4. Wouldn't this take a great amount of manpower for I guess minimum

@1: You’re propably right.
I’m just sometimes surprised how much manual work is required to update the
kernel due to changed names.

It is also very hard to find a configuration for a new system from the start.
Once you’ve got it running, it’s quite okay.

Such a database would make it easier for newbies or for users who are
interested in compiling their own kernel, but were not sure which
configuration to choose.

@2: Since it would be modulized, you’d simply add your new upgrade to your
specific system config. Like I mentioned with the radeon card in my example.
Or a new monitor.

@3: They are bloated because they need to run on every possible system.
Sometimes some specific parts are missing, because it’s too specific (like
support for experimental chipsets, or staging drivers).
Other than that: nothing’s wrong with distribution kernels.

@4: Yes, definitely. That’s why I think it would be best in a community based
way. Like authors for Wikipedia – users would provide profiles that work for
them. Discussions will make them come closer together and fix issues that
others have.

Now, the kernel needs a basic configuration, like make x86_64_defconfig. Then
you need to tell it which features you want. Then which drivers you need.

You can, off course, select all. But isn’t this a waste of time and resources?

But hey, it was just an idea. A stupid one maybe. So thanks for answering
anyway.

* Re: A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 17:42     ` el_es
From: el_es @ 2013-11-03 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 <andreas.thalhammer <at> linux.com> writes:
[cut down because of gmane's web interface quotation policy]

> But hey, it was just an idea. A stupid one maybe. So thanks for answering
> anyway.

Uh like any great idea, you need to show the world, how
serious you are about it : do the first step and collect a few,
then share a link, wikipedia or pastebin style maybe for starters ;)

In other words, "let's go and you do it", doesn't sound like
a good starting pitch ;)

-L.

* Re: A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 18:53     ` andreas.thalhammer
From: andreas.thalhammer @ 2013-11-03 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: el_es; +Cc: linux-kernel

> <andreas.thalhammer <at> linux.com> writes:
>[cut down because of gmane's web interface quotation policy]
>
>> But hey, it was just an idea. A stupid one maybe. So thanks for answering
>> anyway.
>>

>Uh like any great idea, you need to show the world, how
>serious you are about it : do the first step and collect a few,
>then share a link, wikipedia or pastebin style maybe for starters ;)
>
>In other words, "let's go and you do it", doesn't sound like
>a good starting pitch ;)
>
>-L.

"If I could have, I would have" already done it. I wouldn’t know how.
I’m sorry if this soulds like "you do it"… the intension was to see what you
think about it.

I was working with the hardware database from Fedora (RedHat): Smolt. But
Smolt was shut down: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Smolt_retirement

When I started working with it, and with other resources of this kind, I
always found that it was too chaotic because there are too many ways of
describing how to get a Linux system running on a specific hardware. Take the
ThinkWiki for example. It describes how to get some specific parts of specific
ThinkPad series to work on Linux, but it could be the same procedure and/or
patch used for other Laptops or PCs.

I had my hardware added to Smolt for the reason to have other benefit from the
information on how to get it running (if I got it running) and which kernel
version is at least required and other useful information.

During that time the idea came up that an automized configuration for a
specific computer would be a benefit.

That is: make a defconfig, not for a very generic system but for very specific
system parts. The example is: PC + Desktop + experimental + <My specific
motherboard> + AMD_K10 SMP + RadeonHD_Barts + AllStableUSB + <My specific
webcam> + …

This "profile" would go into a global configuration file for my computer. The
"make defconfig" would then use this information to e.g. set this very
specific CONFIG_SENSORS_F71882FG, because the system now knows which specific
hardware it is built for. It will leave out all unnecessary stuff, unless
otherwise included (in the profile). The provided information could even be
used to tell GRUB (grub-mkconfig) for which kernel version which command line
options must be used.

Putting all this on a server (like Smolt) and having it put together with
version information (like: on kernel 3.2 it is CONFIG_SOMETHING whereas
starting with 3.3 it is CONFIG_SOMETHINGELSE and includes
CONFIG_SOMETHINGELSE_WITH_AN_OPTION) and combined with a Wiki – and all of
that can be discussed and created online by users, would get a power-user-
community process started. Maybe. Hopefully.

With Smolt this wasn’t so. It was too limited in many ways.

There are verious Wiki, Blog and Wordpress pages that describe how to compile
the linux kernel (and userland software) for a specific system. But there is no
central site for that.

If Smolt had been a little "better", and more useful in the sense of "this is
my hardware – someone with the same, what is your kernel .config file looking
like?" would have helped a lot of non-power-users, that – nevertheless – like
to compile their own kernel, and maybe add something that was missing in the
distribution kernel…

Giving them a "make myconfig" with some little extra information (What type of
use? "Desktop", how stable? "experimental", and what extra hardware?
"<specific>" or "very general, like a distribution kernel") would make their
lifes easier; also for power-users.

Power-users would in addition provide the config modules (like: what is needed
for a specific hardware/hardware expansion) and help on a server site that
hosts this information.

I’m sorry, but I cannot possibly do this all by myself. I was able to help in
some Wikis and in Smolt, but I cannot setup such a system. Apparently I was
only able to come up with the idea…

(Since I am not even able to answer you, I post as a follow-up to my previous
post).

* Re for el_es: A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 18:57     ` andreas.thalhammer
From: andreas.thalhammer @ 2013-11-03 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> [...]

to compile their own kernel, and maybe add something that was missing in the
distribution kernel…

Giving them a "make myconfig" with some little extra information (What type of
use? "Desktop", how stable? "experimental", and what extra hardware?
"<specific>" or "very general, like a distribution kernel") would make their
lifes easier; also for power-users.

Power-users would in addition provide the config modules (like: what is needed
for a specific hardware/hardware expansion) and help on a server site that
hosts this information.

I’m sorry, but I cannot possibly do this all by myself. I was able to help in
some Wikis and in Smolt, but I cannot setup such a system. Apparently I was
only able to come up with the idea…

(Since I am not even able to answer you, I post as a follow-up to my previous

* Re: Re for el_es: A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 20:02       ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2013-11-03 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andreas.thalhammer; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 07:57:29PM +0100, andreas.thalhammer@linux.com wrote:

> I’m sorry, but I cannot possibly do this all by myself. I was able
> to help in some Wikis and in Smolt, but I cannot setup such a
> system. Apparently I was only able to come up with the idea...

It's an idea that people have tossed around before, but utltimately,
it's far more work than it's worth, and it's a maintenance nightmare.
For most non-technical users, using a distro kernel is quite good
enough.

For power users, they have no trouble configuring their own custom
kernel --- they can start with a full distribution kernel config, run
"make localmodconfig" which will compile a kernel with the currently
loaded modules (which are presumably the ones required for your
hardware) compiled into the kernel, and then the power user can then
disable those modules that he or she does't think they'll ever need.

The set of people who aren't willing to use a distribution kernel, but
aren't clueful enough to figure out how to customize their own kernel,
is a pretty small set.  And it's certainly not big enough such that
those of us who could implement such an idea would think that it's
worth the huge amount of effort it would require, and how to deal with
the enusing support burden when clueless end-users try to use it, and
then complain when the information is out of date.

If you told me that you wanted to try it, I would tell you that you
were going to be getting into a huge amount of work, and it's not
obvious to me that it's worth it --- but if you are going to volunteer
your own time, then it's ultimately up to you.  But having you trying
to volunteer *other* people's time for what might be a sisyphean does
take a fair amount of chutzpah.

Regards,

					- Ted

* [Topic closed] A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-03 22:03         ` andreas.thalhammer
From: andreas.thalhammer @ 2013-11-03 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: linux-kernel

Theodore Ts'o wrote on Sunday, 03rd November 2013:
> It's an idea that people have tossed around before, but utltimately,
> it's far more work than it's worth, and it's a maintenance nightmare.
> For most non-technical users, using a distro kernel is quite good
> enough.

Yes, I get it. Thanks for the honesty.

> > I’m sorry, but I cannot possibly do this all by myself. I was able
> > to help in some Wikis and in Smolt, but I cannot setup such a
> > system. Apparently I was only able to come up with the idea...
>
> If you told me that you wanted to try it, I would tell you that you
> were going to be getting into a huge amount of work, and it's not
> obvious to me that it's worth it --- but if you are going to volunteer
> your own time, then it's ultimately up to you.  But having you trying
> to volunteer *other* people's time for what might be a sisyphean does
> take a fair amount of chutzpah.

I don’t want other people to volunteer, I was expressing an idea, but – after
reading your answer – I do understand that the gain is not worth the effort. At
least now I know what you (the people making Linux) think about it.

I was trying to off-load some workload from you (developers) to power-users. I
consider myself to be good enough to compile a kernel by myself, and to
install Gentoo for that matter, and I’m also willing to volunteer some of my
spare time to help other people who run Linux. I wrote some Wiki entries on
how to install Linux on a specific machine and how to get things to run. I
found that most of the times a new kernel was required due to some devices
requireing a staging driver or a deactivated feature of a driver.

However, my possibilities are limited. As I wrote before, I tried some tools
(written by others!) that unfortunately didn’t work out, like Smolt.

So I’ll let go of that idea. I’m certainly glad to have proposed it, but I get
it that it isn’t worth it.

I don’t think it has anything to do with chutzpah though, since the posting
was motivated by me being eager to help where I can, not where I cannot.
(Although I do understand it may look different.)

Thanks!

* Re: A Desktop Linux idea: modulized open hardware database for the linux kernel config
@ 2013-11-12 22:13   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2013-11-12 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aldo Iljazi; +Cc: andreas.thalhammer, linux-kernel

Hi!

> So, you are saying that this should be available for power users only,
> since it requires kernel compilation.
>
> I have a few points to make.
>
> 1. Wouldn't power users know how to configure the kernel anyway for
> their system?

No, not really. Getting configuration to work is always interesting...

> 2. What about future hardware upgrades (on both a laptop and desktop
> machines).
>
> 3. What's wrong with stock distribution kernels?

Actually, biggest problem with configurations for various non-PC
systems like Nokia N900 or Zaurus (where distributions does not work).

> 4. Wouldn't this take a great amount of manpower for I guess minimum
> benefits?

									Pavel