* linux-next: build failure after merge of the rd-docs tree
@ 2014-09-16  7:11 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2014-09-16  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Peter Foley

Hi Randy,

After merging the rd-docs tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
allyesconfig) failed like this:

Documentation/vDSO/vdso_test.c:15:22: fatal error: sys/auxv.h: No such file or directory

Caused by commit e9cb990eff15 ("Documentation: update vDSO makefile to
build portable examples").

I have reverted that commit for today.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the rd-docs tree
@ 2014-09-16 17:19 ` Peter Foley
From: Peter Foley @ 2014-09-16 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-next, LKML

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Randy,
>
> After merging the rd-docs tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> allyesconfig) failed like this:
>
> Documentation/vDSO/vdso_test.c:15:22: fatal error: sys/auxv.h: No such file or directory

What glibc version are you running?
It appears the function getauxval (and I assume the missing header)
were only added in glibc 2.16.

Thanks,

Peter

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the rd-docs tree
@ 2014-09-16 23:00   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2014-09-16 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Foley; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-next, LKML

Hi Peter,

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:19:07 -0400 Peter Foley <pefoley2@pefoley.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > After merging the rd-docs tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> > allyesconfig) failed like this:
> >
> > Documentation/vDSO/vdso_test.c:15:22: fatal error: sys/auxv.h: No such file or directory
> >

> What glibc version are you running?
> It appears the function getauxval (and I assume the missing header)
> were only added in glibc 2.16.

My build machine runs Debian stable which only has libc6 version 2.13.

--

@ 2014-09-16 23:18     ` Peter Foley
From: Peter Foley @ 2014-09-16 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Randy Dunlap, linux-next, LKML

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> My build machine runs Debian stable which only has libc6 version 2.13.

Ok, depending on a specific glibc version seems kinda hacky.
Maybe we should just disable auto-building vdso_test?

Randy?

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the rd-docs tree
@ 2014-09-16 23:38       ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2014-09-16 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Foley, Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, LKML

On 09/16/14 16:18, Peter Foley wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> My build machine runs Debian stable which only has libc6 version 2.13.
>
> Ok, depending on a specific glibc version seems kinda hacky.
> Maybe we should just disable auto-building vdso_test?
>
> Randy?
> --

I don't have a good answer to that, so yes, I suppose just
disable it.  Please send a patch.

~Randy

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the rd-docs tree
@ 2014-09-17  0:02         ` Peter Foley
From: Peter Foley @ 2014-09-17  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Stephen Rothwell, linux-next, LKML

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:
> I don't have a good answer to that, so yes, I suppose just
> disable it.  Please send a patch.

Will do.