* Which PCI development git repo to use?
@ 2015-10-05  6:03 Ruud
From: Ruud @ 2015-10-05  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

Looking at the changes in this sundays rc, it seems the PCI patches of
Yinghai do not get picked up in RC2 and later. I did see some patches
from helgaas.

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/yinghai/linux-yinghai.git

Does someone know the plans with regard to PCIe support for big
systems with problematic bioses (aka high density GPU computing
clusters) in the linus tree. Or is it just too much of a risk to
migrate to new PCIe configuration code as most users do not need it?

If the latter is the case, it is at least good to know now beforehand...

Best regards,

Ruud

* Re: Which PCI development git repo to use?
@ 2015-10-05 16:04 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2015-10-05 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 08:03:45AM +0200, Ruud wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Looking at the changes in this sundays rc, it seems the PCI patches of
> Yinghai do not get picked up in RC2 and later. I did see some patches
> from helgaas.
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/yinghai/linux-yinghai.git
>
> Does someone know the plans with regard to PCIe support for big
> systems with problematic bioses (aka high density GPU computing
> clusters) in the linus tree. Or is it just too much of a risk to
> migrate to new PCIe configuration code as most users do not need it?
>
> If the latter is the case, it is at least good to know now beforehand...

I don't know specifically what problems you're seeing with "big
systems with problematic BIOSes," but I will apply patches that
improve Linux support for PCIe configuration, as long as they are
clean, reviewable, and safe.

There is no automatic "post patches on linux-pci and see them appear
in the next RC" arrangement.  Even if such patches fix a problem for
some users, they have to be safe for all users and maintainable by
people other than the author before I can merge them.

I use https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-pci/list/ as the
queue of patches to be reviewed and potentially applied.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git/ is the
git tree of PCI-related changes heading for the mainline kernel.  The
"for-linus" branch contains things I plan to ask Linus to merge
between the merge window and the final release, e.g., between v4.3-rc1
and v4.3.  The "next" branch contains things intended for the next
merge window, e.g., they would be merged between v4.3 and v4.4-rc1.

Bjorn