* csdio-kernel module status, if any  (was: Re: char interface to sdio, chdio.c)
@ 2015-11-03  9:33 Patrick Boettcher
From: Patrick Boettcher @ 2015-11-03  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Stephen Boyd, Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: linux-kernel, harlina daud

Hi all,

Sorry for posting out-of-thread, but I don't have the original mail and
thus cannot reply.

If refer to this thread:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/15/975

where you guys started to review and prepare things for
upstream-inclusion of the csdio-module.

Strangely enough the last mail on lkml.org isn't showing - I had to
use another lkml-archive: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1407.2/01971.html

In it, greg is saying, that this thing is "_way_ down" on his list.

Has, by magic, anything evolved regarding the remarks made by Arnd and
I'm just too blind to find it? (nothing in recent kernel sources)

We are having the exact same need (a basic sdio-device-driver
accessing things from user-space) and are ready to invest some time in
it (if nothing comes in between) - but of course would like to start
from something sane.

best regards
--
Patrick.

* Re: csdio-kernel module status, if any  (was: Re: char interface to sdio, chdio.c)
@ 2015-11-03  9:52 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2015-11-03  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Boettcher
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Stephen Boyd, linux-kernel, harlina daud

On Tuesday 03 November 2015 10:33:01 Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for posting out-of-thread, but I don't have the original mail and
> thus cannot reply.
>
> If refer to this thread:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/15/975
>
> where you guys started to review and prepare things for
> upstream-inclusion of the csdio-module.
>
> Strangely enough the last mail on lkml.org isn't showing - I had to
> use another lkml-archive: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1407.2/01971.html
>
> In it, greg is saying, that this thing is "_way_ down" on his list.
>
> Has, by magic, anything evolved regarding the remarks made by Arnd and
> I'm just too blind to find it? (nothing in recent kernel sources)
>
> We are having the exact same need (a basic sdio-device-driver
> accessing things from user-space) and are ready to invest some time in
> it (if nothing comes in between) - but of course would like to start
> from something sane.

I have never heard from it again. Looking at the Android sources, I find that
the driver has been removed between Android 6.0-r0.5:
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/+/f06163e6d0b0c001ed79275cbe522d0b62ace3ed

The basic concept of the driver looks sane, so I think it makes sense to
start out with the code from Android 6.0-r0.4 and adapt it to your needs.
An alternative would be to build on the support we have in the MMC block
driver that allows sending commands to a card, but that is currently
limited to the block device interface.

	Arnd

* Re: csdio-kernel module status, if any  (was: Re: char interface to sdio, chdio.c)
@ 2015-11-04  1:28 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2015-11-04  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Boettcher; +Cc: Stephen Boyd, Arnd Bergmann, linux-kernel, harlina daud

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 10:33:01AM +0100, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for posting out-of-thread, but I don't have the original mail and
> thus cannot reply.
>
> If refer to this thread:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/15/975
>
> where you guys started to review and prepare things for
> upstream-inclusion of the csdio-module.
>
> Strangely enough the last mail on lkml.org isn't showing - I had to
> use another lkml-archive: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1407.2/01971.html
>
> In it, greg is saying, that this thing is "_way_ down" on his list.
>
> Has, by magic, anything evolved regarding the remarks made by Arnd and
> I'm just too blind to find it? (nothing in recent kernel sources)

Nope, I haven't done much of anything with it, sorry, haven't really
needed it just yet.

> We are having the exact same need (a basic sdio-device-driver
> accessing things from user-space) and are ready to invest some time in
> it (if nothing comes in between) - but of course would like to start
> from something sane.

Feel free to take my patch and clean it up and submit it if you feel it
is something we should do.

thanks,

greg k-h