* Missing OMAP PM layer
@ 2016-01-24 20:23 Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2016-01-24 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren, Kevin Hilman, Sebastian Reichel, Ivaylo Dimitrov,
	Pavel Machek, Aaro Koskinen, Nishanth Menon, linux-omap,
	linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 627 bytes --]

Hello,

make menuconfig allows me to choose "OMAP PM layer selection" and the
only one option is CONFIG_OMAP_PM_NOOP "No-op/debug PM layer".

What does it mean? Power manager is noop?

I see that it has only two corresponding files in mainline kernel:
arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm.h
arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-noop.c

Nokia's kernels (for N900 and N950) had also:
arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-srf.c

Can somebody explain it what happened with omap power management?

Looks like that omap-pm.h provides some API, but the only implementation
is noop which do nothing.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

* Re: Missing OMAP PM layer
@ 2016-01-25 16:34 ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2016-01-25 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Sebastian Reichel, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Pavel Machek,
	Aaro Koskinen, Nishanth Menon, linux-omap, linux-kernel

* Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> [160124 12:24]:
> Hello,
>
> make menuconfig allows me to choose "OMAP PM layer selection" and the
> only one option is CONFIG_OMAP_PM_NOOP "No-op/debug PM layer".
>
> What does it mean? Power manager is noop?
>
> I see that it has only two corresponding files in mainline kernel:
> arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm.h
> arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-noop.c
>
> Nokia's kernels (for N900 and N950) had also:
> arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-srf.c
>
> Can somebody explain it what happened with omap power management?
>
> Looks like that omap-pm.h provides some API, but the only implementation
> is noop which do nothing.

I believe none of that is needed any longer in mainline.

Kevin, care to descrbibe what should be done here?

Regards,

Tony

* Re: Missing OMAP PM layer
@ 2016-01-25 17:24   ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2016-01-25 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Sebastian Reichel, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Pavel Machek,
	Aaro Koskinen, Nishanth Menon, linux-omap, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 949 bytes --]

On Monday 25 January 2016 17:34:42 Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> [160124 12:24]:
> > Hello,
> >
> > make menuconfig allows me to choose "OMAP PM layer selection" and
> > the only one option is CONFIG_OMAP_PM_NOOP "No-op/debug PM layer".
> >
> > What does it mean? Power manager is noop?
> >
> > I see that it has only two corresponding files in mainline kernel:
> > arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm.h
> > arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-noop.c
> >
> > Nokia's kernels (for N900 and N950) had also:
> > arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-srf.c
> >
> > Can somebody explain it what happened with omap power management?
> >
> > Looks like that omap-pm.h provides some API, but the only
> > implementation is noop which do nothing.
>
> I believe none of that is needed any longer in mainline.

Ok, and what was that omap-pm? Do you know what Nokia omap-pm-srf.c do?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

* Re: Missing OMAP PM layer
@ 2016-01-25 18:16   ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2016-01-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: Pali Rohár, Sebastian Reichel, Ivaylo Dimitrov,

Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> writes:

> * Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> [160124 12:24]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> make menuconfig allows me to choose "OMAP PM layer selection" and the
>> only one option is CONFIG_OMAP_PM_NOOP "No-op/debug PM layer".
>>
>> What does it mean? Power manager is noop?
>>
>> I see that it has only two corresponding files in mainline kernel:
>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm.h
>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-noop.c
>>
>> Nokia's kernels (for N900 and N950) had also:
>> arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap-pm-srf.c
>>
>> Can somebody explain it what happened with omap power management?
>>
>> Looks like that omap-pm.h provides some API, but the only implementation
>> is noop which do nothing.
>
> I believe none of that is needed any longer in mainline.
>
> Kevin, care to descrbibe what should be done here?

We had created the OMAP PM layer as a pluggable layer where we could
experiment with different approaches for adding constratints, etc.  I
can't remember anymore what all was in there, but we gutted most of it
after switching to runtime PM.

The SRF was a "shared resource framework" that came out of a TI kernel
that was never accepted upstream either, but was one of the
implementation of the OMAP PM layer.

Kevin