* 4.5-rc0 regression: GPRS breaks after very short while
@ 2016-05-18  7:49 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2016-05-18  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pali.rohar, sre, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony,
	khilman, aaro.koskinen, ivo.g.dimitrov.75, patrikbachan, serge

Hi!

I was afraid another GSM chip desoldered itself in N900, but no, it
seems to be software this time.

In 4.4, GPRS is rock solid, can survive overnight ping.

In 4.5-rc0 and v4.6, modem fails when I use gprs for like a
minute. Phone is not usable.

Best regards,
									Pavel

* Re: 4.5-rc0 regression: GPRS breaks after very short while
@ 2016-05-18 14:16 ` Sebastian Reichel
From: Sebastian Reichel @ 2016-05-18 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: pali.rohar, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony,
	khilman, aaro.koskinen, ivo.g.dimitrov.75, patrikbachan, serge

Hi Pavel,

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 09:49:24AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I was afraid another GSM chip desoldered itself in N900, but no, it
> seems to be software this time.
>
> In 4.4, GPRS is rock solid, can survive overnight ping.
>
> In 4.5-rc0 and v4.6, modem fails when I use gprs for like a
> minute. Phone is not usable.

I only send three modem related changes for v4.5:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-hsi.git/commit/?h=hsi-for-4.5&id=525e1abc6b5a7d8bd9006de1da6e99722305ea2b
HSI: omap_ssi: fix handling ida_simple_get result

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-hsi.git/commit/?h=hsi-for-4.5&id=6bf6ded3008a407ccab5ad72eb59ab71b97cc290
HSI: omap_ssi_port: fix handling of_get_named_gpio result

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-hsi.git/commit/?h=hsi-for-4.5&id=403c5c0650816375527a6feecfb255d9b494dda3
HSI: Remove struct hsi_client private fields from kernel-doc

The last one only changes a comment, so not relevant, the other
two fix error handling during initialization and are most likely
also not the problem. Can you try to bisect the problem?

-- Sebastian

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 4.5-rc0 regression: GPRS breaks after very short while
@ 2016-05-18 20:12   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2016-05-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Reichel
  Cc: pali.rohar, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony,
	khilman, aaro.koskinen, ivo.g.dimitrov.75, patrikbachan, serge

Hi!

> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 09:49:24AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > I was afraid another GSM chip desoldered itself in N900, but no, it
> > seems to be software this time.
> >
> > In 4.4, GPRS is rock solid, can survive overnight ping.
> >
> > In 4.5-rc0 and v4.6, modem fails when I use gprs for like a
> > minute. Phone is not usable.
>
> I only send three modem related changes for v4.5:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-hsi.git/commit/?h=hsi-for-4.5&id=525e1abc6b5a7d8bd9006de1da6e99722305ea2b
> HSI: omap_ssi: fix handling ida_simple_get result
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-hsi.git/commit/?h=hsi-for-4.5&id=6bf6ded3008a407ccab5ad72eb59ab71b97cc290
> HSI: omap_ssi_port: fix handling of_get_named_gpio result
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sre/linux-hsi.git/commit/?h=hsi-for-4.5&id=403c5c0650816375527a6feecfb255d9b494dda3
> HSI: Remove struct hsi_client private fields from kernel-doc
>
> The last one only changes a comment, so not relevant, the other
> two fix error handling during initialization and are most likely
> also not the problem. Can you try to bisect the problem?

It will not be fun, but I guess it is doable. But before I start it
would be good to know -- does it work for you?

Thanks and best regards,

@ 2016-05-20  4:12     ` Sebastian Reichel
From: Sebastian Reichel @ 2016-05-20  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: pali.rohar, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony,

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:12:51PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > The last one only changes a comment, so not relevant, the other
> > two fix error handling during initialization and are most likely
> > also not the problem. Can you try to bisect the problem?
>
> It will not be fun, but I guess it is doable. But before I start it
> would be good to know -- does it work for you?

I currently don't have a second SIM card with network access for my
dev phone, so I usually only test without gprs connection. As a
result I don't really know if longer data connection would work.

Also I'm quite busy until next weekend with other stuff. If you did
not find anything until then, I will do some testing/debugging.

-- Sebastian

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 4.5-rc0 regression: GPRS breaks after very short while
@ 2016-06-18 10:39       ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2016-06-18 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Reichel
  Cc: pali.rohar, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony,

On Fri 2016-05-20 06:12:59, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 10:12:51PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > The last one only changes a comment, so not relevant, the other
> > > two fix error handling during initialization and are most likely
> > > also not the problem. Can you try to bisect the problem?
> >
> > It will not be fun, but I guess it is doable. But before I start it
> > would be good to know -- does it work for you?
>
> I currently don't have a second SIM card with network access for my
> dev phone, so I usually only test without gprs connection. As a
> result I don't really know if longer data connection would work.
>
> Also I'm quite busy until next weekend with other stuff. If you did
> not find anything until then, I will do some testing/debugging.

Ok, it looks like problems got less reproducible for me.

Best regards,
									Pavel