* [GIT PULL] Openrisc changes for 4.10 merge
@ 2016-12-12 14:38 Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2016-12-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, torvalds; +Cc: linux, openrisc

Hi Linus,

Please pull the below, highlights include:
 _ This is my first pull request as the new OpenRISC architecture
   maintainer. I hope I have things in order.
 - Changes to MAINTAINER for openrisc
 - Probably biggest actual change is the move to memblock from bootmem
 - Plus several bug and build fixes

The following changes since commit 69973b830859bc6529a7a0468ba0d80ee5117826:

  Linux 4.9 (2016-12-11 11:17:54 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/openrisc/linux.git tags/openrisc-for-linus

for you to fetch changes up to 7c7808ce107d63e158dbbc3af085980985a0c3c4:

  openrisc: prevent VGA console, fix builds (2016-12-12 23:10:29 +0900)

Openrisc fixes for 4.10

Christian Svensson (1):
      openrisc: Add thread-local storage (TLS) support

Guenter Roeck (1):
      openrisc: Support both old (or32) and new (or1k) toolchain

Jonas Bonn (1):
      openrisc: restore all regs on rt_sigreturn

Randy Dunlap (1):
      openrisc: prevent VGA console, fix builds

Rob Herring (1):
      openrisc: remove the redundant of_platform_populate

Stafford Horne (3):
      openrisc: add NR_CPUS Kconfig default value
      openrisc: Consolidate setup to use memblock instead of bootmem
      openrisc: Updates after openrisc.net has been lost

Stefan Kristiansson (2):
      openrisc: fix PTRS_PER_PGD define
      openrisc: include l.swa in check for write data pagefault

 MAINTAINERS                         |  6 +++--
 arch/openrisc/Kconfig               |  4 ++++
 arch/openrisc/README.openrisc       |  8 +++----
 arch/openrisc/TODO.openrisc         |  3 ---
 arch/openrisc/include/asm/pgalloc.h |  1 -
 arch/openrisc/include/asm/pgtable.h |  2 +-
 arch/openrisc/kernel/entry.S        | 12 ++++++++--
 arch/openrisc/kernel/process.c      | 13 ++++++++++
 arch/openrisc/kernel/setup.c        | 48 ++++++++++---------------------------
 arch/openrisc/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S  |  8 ++++++-
 arch/openrisc/mm/init.c             |  4 ++--
 arch/openrisc/mm/ioremap.c          |  4 ----
 drivers/video/console/Kconfig       |  2 +-

* Re: [GIT PULL] Openrisc changes for 4.10 merge
@ 2016-12-12 17:05 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2016-12-12 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Stafford Horne <shorne@gmail.com> wrote:

>  - This is my first pull request as the new OpenRISC architecture
>    maintainer. I hope I have things in order.

Looks ok, but I note that I don't seem to find an email talking about
the maintainership change.

In general, I really prefer seeing hand-off. I guess in this case
there wasn't all that much hand-off to be done, but I think the last
few changes came from pulling from Guenter..

           Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] Openrisc changes for 4.10 merge
@ 2016-12-12 17:50   ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2016-12-12 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 09:05:36AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Stafford Horne <shorne@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  - This is my first pull request as the new OpenRISC architecture
> >    maintainer. I hope I have things in order.
>
> Looks ok, but I note that I don't seem to find an email talking about
> the maintainership change.
>
> In general, I really prefer seeing hand-off. I guess in this case
> there wasn't all that much hand-off to be done, but I think the last
> few changes came from pulling from Guenter..

Hi Linus,

sorry for not keeping you in the loop. No bad intentions, I just know that
you are busy. I knew about this change, and I had offered to send the pull
request. Stafford wanted to do it himself, so I figured I'd only (need to)
get involved if needed.

I had a look through the changes, ran a diff against mainline, and tested the
resulting code in qemu. I did this both with the previous version and with the
version rebased to v4.9. I even checked that Stafford now has his key signed.
It all looks ok to me. Please consider this a Tested-by: and Reviewed-by:
from me for the entire series.

Now all we have left to do is to ask Stafford not to rebase to the latest
kernel before sending his pull requests...

Thanks,
Guenter

* Re: [GIT PULL] Openrisc changes for 4.10 merge
@ 2016-12-12 21:56     ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2016-12-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 09:50:50AM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 09:05:36AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Stafford Horne <shorne@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  - This is my first pull request as the new OpenRISC architecture
> > >    maintainer. I hope I have things in order.
> >
> > Looks ok, but I note that I don't seem to find an email talking about
> > the maintainership change.
> >
> > In general, I really prefer seeing hand-off. I guess in this case
> > there wasn't all that much hand-off to be done, but I think the last
> > few changes came from pulling from Guenter..
> >
> Hi Linus,
>
> sorry for not keeping you in the loop. No bad intentions, I just know that
> you are busy. I knew about this change, and I had offered to send the pull
> request. Stafford wanted to do it himself, so I figured I'd only (need to)
> get involved if needed.
>
> I had a look through the changes, ran a diff against mainline, and tested the
> resulting code in qemu. I did this both with the previous version and with the
> version rebased to v4.9. I even checked that Stafford now has his key signed.
> It all looks ok to me. Please consider this a Tested-by: and Reviewed-by:
> from me for the entire series.
>
> Now all we have left to do is to ask Stafford not to rebase to the latest
> kernel before sending his pull requests...

Thanks Guenter,

I see Linus did do the merge already, but just for completion here is a
bit more about the maintainer handoff. I sent this in some of my earlier
pull requests, I should have included it to Linus.

Mail threads from Jonas (previous maintainer)
https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/5/13/469 - mail from Jonas mentioning
                                      he is no longer able to maintain
https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/6/11/426 - mail from Jonas mentioning stefan
                                      is to be the new maintainer

Ideally Stefan Kristiansson would have become the maintainer but he
does not seem to have much time recently.  I am in talks with Stefan
regularly via the #openrisc freenode irc room.  Also, Stefan and I have
met last summer and did a pgp key signing.

Either way, all is set now.  I'll be working on the next batch of
patches now.

Thank you,

-Stafford