* blk_queue_bounce_limit() broken for mask=0xffffffff on 64bit archs
@ 2017-01-09 20:48 Nikita Yushchenko
From: Nikita Yushchenko @ 2017-01-09 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, linux-block; +Cc: linux-kernel, Artemi Ivanov

Hi

There is a use cases when architecture is 64-bit but hardware supports
only DMA to lower 4G of address space. E.g. NVMe device on RCar PCIe host.

For such cases, it looks proper to call blk_queue_bounce_limit() with
mask set to 0xffffffff - thus making block layer to use bounce buffers
for any addresses beyond 4G.  To support that, architecture provides
GFP_DMA zone that covers exactly low 4G on arm64.

However setting this limit does not work:

  if (b_pfn < (min_t(u64, 0xffffffffUL, BLK_BOUNCE_HIGH) >> PAGE_SHIFT))
      dma = 1;

When mask is 0xffffffff that condition is false

  q->limits.bounce_pfn = max(max_low_pfn, b_pfn);

this line is executed and replaces any limit with end of memory (on
64bit arch all memory is low).

Not sure how to fix this properly. Any hints?

* Re: blk_queue_bounce_limit() broken for mask=0xffffffff on 64bit archs
@ 2017-01-09 20:59 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-01-09 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Yushchenko; +Cc: Jens Axboe, linux-block, linux-kernel, Artemi Ivanov

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:48:11PM +0300, Nikita Yushchenko wrote:
> Hi
>
> There is a use cases when architecture is 64-bit but hardware supports
> only DMA to lower 4G of address space. E.g. NVMe device on RCar PCIe host.

The solution is to shoot the SOC designer.  If that doesn't work use
swiotlb.

* Re: blk_queue_bounce_limit() broken for mask=0xffffffff on 64bit archs
@ 2017-01-13  6:07 ` Ming Lei
From: Ming Lei @ 2017-01-13  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Yushchenko; +Cc: Jens Axboe, linux-block, linux-kernel, Artemi Ivanov

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Nikita Yushchenko
<nikita.yoush@cogentembedded.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> There is a use cases when architecture is 64-bit but hardware supports
> only DMA to lower 4G of address space. E.g. NVMe device on RCar PCIe host.
>
> For such cases, it looks proper to call blk_queue_bounce_limit() with
> mask set to 0xffffffff - thus making block layer to use bounce buffers
> for any addresses beyond 4G.  To support that, architecture provides
> GFP_DMA zone that covers exactly low 4G on arm64.
>
> However setting this limit does not work:
>
>   if (b_pfn < (min_t(u64, 0xffffffffUL, BLK_BOUNCE_HIGH) >> PAGE_SHIFT))
>       dma = 1;
>
> When mask is 0xffffffff that condition is false

That should have been true in your case, since the b_pfn is smaller than
0xffffffff.

>   q->limits.bounce_pfn = max(max_low_pfn, b_pfn);
>
> this line is executed and replaces any limit with end of memory (on
> 64bit arch all memory is low).

I don't understand why max() is used? And why not min()?

Looks the above line just disables bounce for 64bit arch, doesn't it?

Thanks,
Ming

> Not sure how to fix this properly. Any hints?

Ming Lei

* Re: blk_queue_bounce_limit() broken for mask=0xffffffff on 64bit archs
@ 2017-01-13  6:10   ` Nikita Yushchenko
From: Nikita Yushchenko @ 2017-01-13  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ming Lei; +Cc: Jens Axboe, linux-block, linux-kernel, Artemi Ivanov

>> There is a use cases when architecture is 64-bit but hardware supports
>> only DMA to lower 4G of address space. E.g. NVMe device on RCar PCIe host.
>>
>> For such cases, it looks proper to call blk_queue_bounce_limit() with
>> mask set to 0xffffffff - thus making block layer to use bounce buffers
>> for any addresses beyond 4G.  To support that, architecture provides
>> GFP_DMA zone that covers exactly low 4G on arm64.
>>
>> However setting this limit does not work:
>>
>>   if (b_pfn < (min_t(u64, 0xffffffffUL, BLK_BOUNCE_HIGH) >> PAGE_SHIFT))
>>       dma = 1;
>>
>> When mask is 0xffffffff that condition is false
>
> That should have been true in your case, since the b_pfn is smaller than
> 0xffffffff.

b_pfn is exactly 0xffffffffUL >> SHIFT, thus contition is false

>>   q->limits.bounce_pfn = max(max_low_pfn, b_pfn);
>>
>> this line is executed and replaces any limit with end of memory (on
>> 64bit arch all memory is low).
>
> I don't understand why max() is used? And why not min()?
>
> Looks the above line just disables bounce for 64bit arch, doesn't it?

Effectively yes. And I don't understand logic behind this code.

Nikita