* Crosstool/kbuild-all toolchain updates
@ 2017-01-31 22:44 Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2017-01-31 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fengguang.wu; +Cc: Openrisc, linux-kernel, Guenter Roeck

Hi Fengguang/All,

I am working as the OpenRISC linux kernel maintainer.  Currently in
linux-next our patches are causing kbuild test robot to fail.

This is because the patches are taking advantage of 2 'new' (2 year old)
instrucions (l.swa/l.lwa) and the build robots, as far as I can tell,
use the 'make.cross' [0] build script from lkp-tests.git.  These point
to the crosstools [1] toolchains maintained by Tony.

I sent a mail to Tony who maintains the crosstools but I didn't get a
reply and it seems he is not longer working on them [1].

I think our options are:

  1. Update 'make.cross' to point somewhere else for openrisc
  2. Update and maintain crosstools

For 1. its trvial but, maybe not the best solution.

For 2. I created new crosstool builds for openrisc [3]. The way the
crosstools are maintained is via a patches.tar file and it seem a custom
buildall script.  I dont see the source for that custom script anywhere.

I am thinking I could help to update and 'opensource' the crosstool
build scripts to make it easier for everyone to update toolchains by
sending patches.

But, I would need access to crosstool on kernel.org and an OK from
everyone.

Any opinions? Questions?

-Stafford

[0] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/wfg/lkp-tests.git/tree/sbin/make.cross
[1] https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/
[2] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=146406282809809&w=1
[3] http://shorne.noip.me/crosstool/files/

* Re: Crosstool/kbuild-all toolchain updates
@ 2017-02-19  8:20 ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2017-02-19  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fengguang.wu; +Cc: Openrisc, linux-kernel, Guenter Roeck

Ping?

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:44:38AM +0900, Stafford Horne wrote:
> Hi Fengguang/All,
>
> I am working as the OpenRISC linux kernel maintainer.  Currently in
> linux-next our patches are causing kbuild test robot to fail.
>
> This is because the patches are taking advantage of 2 'new' (2 year old)
> instrucions (l.swa/l.lwa) and the build robots, as far as I can tell,
> use the 'make.cross' [0] build script from lkp-tests.git.  These point
> to the crosstools [1] toolchains maintained by Tony.
>
> I sent a mail to Tony who maintains the crosstools but I didn't get a
> reply and it seems he is not longer working on them [1].
>
> I think our options are:
>
>   1. Update 'make.cross' to point somewhere else for openrisc
>   2. Update and maintain crosstools
>
> For 1. its trvial but, maybe not the best solution.
>
> For 2. I created new crosstool builds for openrisc [3]. The way the
> crosstools are maintained is via a patches.tar file and it seem a custom
> buildall script.  I dont see the source for that custom script anywhere.
>
> I am thinking I could help to update and 'opensource' the crosstool
> build scripts to make it easier for everyone to update toolchains by
> sending patches.
>
> But, I would need access to crosstool on kernel.org and an OK from
> everyone.
>
> Any opinions? Questions?
>
> -Stafford
>
> [0] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/wfg/lkp-tests.git/tree/sbin/make.cross
> [1] https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/
> [2] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=146406282809809&w=1
> [3] http://shorne.noip.me/crosstool/files/

Any thought on this?

I create a patch to do 1. Update make.cross to point to openrisc
binaries. I hope you found it on the list:

  https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/2/19/12

-Stafford

* Re: Crosstool/kbuild-all toolchain updates
@ 2017-02-19 13:26 ` Fengguang Wu
From: Fengguang Wu @ 2017-02-19 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stafford Horne
  Cc: Openrisc, linux-kernel, Guenter Roeck, Tony Breeds, Segher Boessenkool

Hi Stafford,

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:44:38AM +0900, Stafford Horne wrote:
>Hi Fengguang/All,
>
>I am working as the OpenRISC linux kernel maintainer.  Currently in
>linux-next our patches are causing kbuild test robot to fail.
>
>This is because the patches are taking advantage of 2 'new' (2 year old)
>instrucions (l.swa/l.lwa) and the build robots, as far as I can tell,
>use the 'make.cross' [0] build script from lkp-tests.git.  These point
>to the crosstools [1] toolchains maintained by Tony.
>
>I sent a mail to Tony who maintains the crosstools but I didn't get a
>reply and it seems he is not longer working on them [1].
>
>I think our options are:
>
>  1. Update 'make.cross' to point somewhere else for openrisc
>  2. Update and maintain crosstools
>
>For 1. its trvial but, maybe not the best solution.

It's a valuable patch, thank you!

>For 2. I created new crosstool builds for openrisc [3]. The way the
>crosstools are maintained is via a patches.tar file and it seem a custom
>buildall script.  I dont see the source for that custom script anywhere.
>
>I am thinking I could help to update and 'opensource' the crosstool
>build scripts to make it easier for everyone to update toolchains by
>sending patches.
>
>But, I would need access to crosstool on kernel.org and an OK from
>everyone.
>
>Any opinions? Questions?

An uptodate crosstool and reasonable active maintainer would be very
welcome. I'll sure be a heavy user. In the past year when crosstool is
not updated to gcc-6, we've resorted to using debian packages for some
ARCHs and building our own cross compliers for the other ARCHs. The
latter are based on Segher's buildall tools (CCed). The private builds
may work for us in short term, however is obvious not a satisfactory
solution.

Thanks,
Fengguang

* Re: Crosstool/kbuild-all toolchain updates
@ 2017-02-19 15:55   ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2017-02-19 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fengguang Wu, Stafford Horne
  Cc: Openrisc, linux-kernel, Tony Breeds, Segher Boessenkool

On 02/19/2017 05:26 AM, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> Hi Stafford,
>
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:44:38AM +0900, Stafford Horne wrote:
>> Hi Fengguang/All,
>>
>> I am working as the OpenRISC linux kernel maintainer.  Currently in
>> linux-next our patches are causing kbuild test robot to fail.
>>
>> This is because the patches are taking advantage of 2 'new' (2 year old)
>> instrucions (l.swa/l.lwa) and the build robots, as far as I can tell,
>> use the 'make.cross' [0] build script from lkp-tests.git.  These point
>> to the crosstools [1] toolchains maintained by Tony.
>>
>> I sent a mail to Tony who maintains the crosstools but I didn't get a
>> reply and it seems he is not longer working on them [1].
>>
>> I think our options are:
>>
>>  1. Update 'make.cross' to point somewhere else for openrisc
>>  2. Update and maintain crosstools
>>
>> For 1. its trvial but, maybe not the best solution.
>
> It's a valuable patch, thank you!
>
>> For 2. I created new crosstool builds for openrisc [3]. The way the
>> crosstools are maintained is via a patches.tar file and it seem a custom
>> buildall script.  I dont see the source for that custom script anywhere.
>>
>> I am thinking I could help to update and 'opensource' the crosstool
>> build scripts to make it easier for everyone to update toolchains by
>> sending patches.
>>
>> But, I would need access to crosstool on kernel.org and an OK from
>> everyone.
>>
>> Any opinions? Questions?
>
> An uptodate crosstool and reasonable active maintainer would be very
> welcome. I'll sure be a heavy user. In the past year when crosstool is
> not updated to gcc-6, we've resorted to using debian packages for some
> ARCHs and building our own cross compliers for the other ARCHs. The
> latter are based on Segher's buildall tools (CCed). The private builds
> may work for us in short term, however is obvious not a satisfactory
> solution.

+1

Guenter

* Re: Crosstool/kbuild-all toolchain updates
@ 2017-02-19 17:49   ` Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2017-02-19 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fengguang Wu
  Cc: Stafford Horne, Openrisc, linux-kernel, Guenter Roeck, Tony Breeds

Hi!

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 09:26:37PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> An uptodate crosstool and reasonable active maintainer would be very
> welcome. I'll sure be a heavy user. In the past year when crosstool is
> not updated to gcc-6, we've resorted to using debian packages for some
> ARCHs and building our own cross compliers for the other ARCHs. The
> latter are based on Segher's buildall tools (CCed). The private builds
> may work for us in short term, however is obvious not a satisfactory
> solution.

Buildall supports GCC only, and this is not likely to change.

The primary usecase for buildall is for my own GCC testing.  All patches
are welcome, but I'm not likely to apply them if they make it harder to
use the tools for what their goal is.  I'm certainly not going to apply
patches to other trees from the scripts, etc.

Buildall itself is still maintained.  It does not get very many updates
but that is because it is close to perfect ;-)

On the other hand I'll be happy to help wherever I can.  Just Cc: me on
whatever comes up.

Segher

* Re: Crosstool/kbuild-all toolchain updates
@ 2017-02-23 13:35     ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2017-02-23 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Segher Boessenkool
  Cc: Fengguang Wu, Openrisc, linux-kernel, Guenter Roeck, Tony Breeds

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 11:49:23AM -0600, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 09:26:37PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> > An uptodate crosstool and reasonable active maintainer would be very
> > welcome. I'll sure be a heavy user. In the past year when crosstool is
> > not updated to gcc-6, we've resorted to using debian packages for some
> > ARCHs and building our own cross compliers for the other ARCHs. The
> > latter are based on Segher's buildall tools (CCed). The private builds
> > may work for us in short term, however is obvious not a satisfactory
> > solution.
>
> Buildall supports GCC only, and this is not likely to change.

I think we are not requiring more at this moment.

My thought was to open up/modernize the crostool build system and store it
on git.kernel.org.  Currently Tony mentions [0] "They are built using a
modified version of the buildall scripts".  I am hoping we can get those
from him and..

  - Create a project kernel/git/{user}/crosstool.git
  - Store there
    * build script (wrapping buildall)
    * any patches needed i.e. or1k/gcc.patch
    * scripts for signing and uploading binaries to website
    * container config for setting up whole build in docker
       * i.e. something like masami's linux-cross [1]

The idea being that then when people want to update binaries they can
just send a patch.  The maintainer need just run the scripts.

Another question, does anyone use the 32-bit binaries anymore?

-Stafford

[0] https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/
[1] https://github.com/mhiramat/linux-cross/tree/master/linux-cross-build