* On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news
@ 2017-04-12 15:15 Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2017-04-12 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peterz, juri.lelli; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello!

On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news...

A Hannes Weisbach of TU Dresden published this masters thesis on
quasi-real-time scheduling:

	http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/papers_ps/weisbach-master.pdf

If you have come across this, I would be interested in your thoughts.

							Thanx, Paul

* Re: On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news
@ 2017-04-12 15:28 ` Juri Lelli
From: Juri Lelli @ 2017-04-12 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney; +Cc: peterz, linux-kernel, Luca Abeni, Tommaso Cucinotta

Hi Paul,

On 12/04/17 08:15, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news...

It is actually new news for me (it might be still unlikely for Peter,
Luca and Tommaso, that I Cc-ed).

> A Hannes Weisbach of TU Dresden published this masters thesis on
> quasi-real-time scheduling:
>
> 	http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/papers_ps/weisbach-master.pdf
>
> If you have come across this, I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks for the pointer. Definitely interesting Easter break reading.

Best,

- Juri

* Re: On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news
@ 2017-04-12 16:17   ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2017-04-12 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Lelli; +Cc: peterz, linux-kernel, Luca Abeni, Tommaso Cucinotta

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 04:28:02PM +0100, Juri Lelli wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On 12/04/17 08:15, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news...
>
> It is actually new news for me (it might be still unlikely for Peter,
> Luca and Tommaso, that I Cc-ed).

News to 2 of 4, so worth sending, I guess.  ;-)

> > A Hannes Weisbach of TU Dresden published this masters thesis on
> > quasi-real-time scheduling:
> >
> > 	http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/papers_ps/weisbach-master.pdf
> >
> > If you have come across this, I would be interested in your thoughts.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Definitely interesting Easter break reading.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

@ 2017-04-12 20:28   ` luca abeni
From: luca abeni @ 2017-04-12 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Lelli; +Cc: Paul E. McKenney, peterz, linux-kernel, Tommaso Cucinotta

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 16:28:02 +0100
Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@arm.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On 12/04/17 08:15, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news...
> >

> It is actually new news for me (it might be still unlikely for Peter,
> Luca and Tommaso, that I Cc-ed).

I did not know about this, thanks for sharing! The abstract looks
interesting :)
I still have to read the thesis, but at a first glance it looks like
some kind of adaptive scheduling framework... Right?

				Luca

@ 2017-04-12 22:45     ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2017-04-12 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca abeni; +Cc: Juri Lelli, peterz, linux-kernel, Tommaso Cucinotta

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:28:08PM +0200, luca abeni wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 16:28:02 +0100
> Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@arm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > On 12/04/17 08:15, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > On the unlikely off-chance that this is new news...
> > >

> > It is actually new news for me (it might be still unlikely for Peter,
> > Luca and Tommaso, that I Cc-ed).
>
> I did not know about this, thanks for sharing! The abstract looks
> interesting :)
> I still have to read the thesis, but at a first glance it looks like
> some kind of adaptive scheduling framework... Right?

They do have a specific algorithm, and I am not sure which of the
framework or the algorithm deserves the closest focus.  My tendency
is to look at the algorithm.  Any slob can create a framework!
(Getting everyone else to use it, now -that- is the trick.)

							Thanx, Paul