* Heads-up: two regressions in v4.11-rc series
@ 2017-04-20  9:00 Jesper Dangaard Brouer
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer @ 2017-04-20  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton, Frederic Weisbecker
  Cc: brouer, Mel Gorman, Tariq Toukan, LKML, linux-mm, netdev, peterz

Hi Linus,

Just wanted to give a heads-up on two regressions in 4.11-rc series.

(1) page allocator optimization revert

Mel Gorman and I have been playing with optimizing the page allocator,
but Tariq spotted that we caused a regression for (NIC) drivers that
refill DMA RX rings in softirq context.

The end result was a revert, and this is waiting in AKPMs quilt queue:
 http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/revert-mm-page_alloc-only-use-per-cpu-allocator-for-irq-safe-requests.patch

(2) Busy softirq can cause userspace not to be scheduled

I bisected the problem to a499a5a14dbd ("sched/cputime: Increment
kcpustat directly on irqtime account"). See email thread with
 Subject: Bisected softirq accounting issue in v4.11-rc1~170^2~28
 http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170328101403.34a82fbf@redhat.com

I don't know the scheduler code well enough to fix this, and will have
to rely others to figure out this scheduler regression.

To make it clear: I'm only seeing this scheduler regression when a
remote host is sending many many network packets, towards the kernel
which keeps NAPI/softirq busy all the time.  A possible hint: tool
"top" only shows this in "si" column, while on v4.10 "top" also blames
"ksoftirqd/N", plus "ps" reported cputime (0:00) seems wrong for ksoftirqd.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer