* is alpha jensen support dead?
@ 2017-05-21  8:58 Christoph Hellwig
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-05-21  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky, Matt Turner
  Cc: Christian Borntraeger, linux-alpha, linux-arch, linux-kernel

Hi all,

it seems like the Alpha Jense build (the only one using pci-noop.c)
and thus being a different build than all the later PCI capable
system has been broken since at least:

commit 6aca0503847f6329460b15b3ab2b0e30bb752793
Author: Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>
Date:   Tue Feb 2 21:46:33 2016 -0800

    alpha/dma: use common noop dma ops

which switches pci-noop.c to use generic code, but fat fingered a symbol
and didn't wire up the Kconfig.

Is there any value in keeping it alive?  Especially as there probably
isn't any build coverage..

Btw, how well is alpha working these days?  It looks like there hasn't
been any maintainer activity for about two years.

* Re: is alpha jensen support dead?
@ 2017-05-21 18:11 ` Bob Tracy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bob Tracy @ 2017-05-21 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky, Matt Turner,
	Christian Borntraeger, linux-alpha, linux-arch, linux-kernel

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 10:58:48AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Btw, how well is alpha working these days?  It looks like there hasn't
> been any maintainer activity for about two years.

Speaking for myself, the PWS 433au I've got continues to function
admirably as my IPv6 gateway.  Debian unstable and experimental updates
continue to apply and work within the limits of my ability to test them.
I'm building and running the release candidates and final versions of
the kernel.org tree with the unstable tool chain.  Recently there was a
FTBFS due to relocation issues during the final vmlinux link on alpha:
that has been fixed, and what's left of the alpha community is pretty
quick to respond and identify what's going on.

In summary, alpha is still a viable platform for *me*.

--Bob

* Re: is alpha jensen support dead?
@ 2017-05-22  5:33 ` Matt Turner
From: Matt Turner @ 2017-05-22  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky, Christian Borntraeger,
	linux-alpha, linux-arch, LKML

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:58 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it seems like the Alpha Jense build (the only one using pci-noop.c)
> and thus being a different build than all the later PCI capable
> system has been broken since at least:
>
> commit 6aca0503847f6329460b15b3ab2b0e30bb752793
> Author: Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>
> Date:   Tue Feb 2 21:46:33 2016 -0800
>
>     alpha/dma: use common noop dma ops
>
> which switches pci-noop.c to use generic code, but fat fingered a symbol
> and didn't wire up the Kconfig.
>
> Is there any value in keeping it alive?  Especially as there probably
> isn't any build coverage..
>
> Btw, how well is alpha working these days?  It looks like there hasn't
> been any maintainer activity for about two years.

I haven't had time for alpha stuff in quite a while.

I've never even had a Jensen, so it's never been important to me personally.

* Re: is alpha jensen support dead?
@ 2017-05-22  5:50 ` Michael Ellerman
From: Michael Ellerman @ 2017-05-22  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky, Matt Turner
  Cc: Christian Borntraeger, linux-alpha, linux-arch, linux-kernel

Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> it seems like the Alpha Jense build (the only one using pci-noop.c)
> and thus being a different build than all the later PCI capable
> system has been broken since at least:
>
> commit 6aca0503847f6329460b15b3ab2b0e30bb752793
> Author: Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>
> Date:   Tue Feb 2 21:46:33 2016 -0800
>
>     alpha/dma: use common noop dma ops
>
> which switches pci-noop.c to use generic code, but fat fingered a symbol
> and didn't wire up the Kconfig.
>
> Is there any value in keeping it alive?  Especially as there probably
> isn't any build coverage..

We still build the defconfig FWIW:

  http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/2499/
  http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/target/2494/

cheers

* Re: is alpha jensen support dead?
@ 2017-05-22  7:51   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-05-22  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Tracy
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky,
	Matt Turner, Christian Borntraeger, linux-alpha, linux-arch,
	linux-kernel

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 01:11:28PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Speaking for myself, the PWS 433au I've got continues to function
> admirably as my IPv6 gateway.  Debian unstable and experimental updates
> continue to apply and work within the limits of my ability to test them.
> I'm building and running the release candidates and final versions of
> the kernel.org tree with the unstable tool chain.  Recently there was a
> FTBFS due to relocation issues during the final vmlinux link on alpha:
> that has been fixed, and what's left of the alpha community is pretty
> quick to respond and identify what's going on.
>
> In summary, alpha is still a viable platform for *me*.

Great!  Still makes me wonder about Jensen, which appears to be
the only platform that requires a different build than the normal
generic PCI-enabled kernel.  And I suspect it's pretty much dead
at this point..

* Re: is alpha jensen support dead?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-05-24  9:16 ` Christian Borntraeger
From: Christian Borntraeger @ 2017-05-24  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky, Matt Turner
  Cc: linux-alpha, linux-arch, linux-kernel

> Hi all,
>
> it seems like the Alpha Jense build (the only one using pci-noop.c)
> and thus being a different build than all the later PCI capable
> system has been broken since at least:
>
> commit 6aca0503847f6329460b15b3ab2b0e30bb752793
> Author: Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>
> Date:   Tue Feb 2 21:46:33 2016 -0800
>
>     alpha/dma: use common noop dma ops

Hi Christoph,

are you providing a fix (or a jensen removal) or do you expect a fix from me?

@ 2017-05-24  9:30   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2017-05-24  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Borntraeger
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky,
	Matt Turner, linux-alpha, linux-arch, linux-kernel

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:16:01AM +0200, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> are you providing a fix (or a jensen removal) or do you expect a fix from me?

Mostly just looking into the area for a series around dma_mapping_ops.

Without build coverage I don't really dare to touch jensen, but I'll see
if I can come up with a fix.

* Re: is alpha jensen support dead?
@ 2017-06-05 12:49     ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2017-06-05 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Bob Tracy, Richard Henderson, Ivan Kokshaysky, Matt Turner,

On Mon, 22 May 2017, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Great!  Still makes me wonder about Jensen, which appears to be
> the only platform that requires a different build than the normal
> generic PCI-enabled kernel.  And I suspect it's pretty much dead
> at this point..

 Jensen is EISA-only, which is likely why support wasn't folded into the
generic configuration.

  Maciej

* Re: is alpha jensen support dead?
       [not found] <20170521105032.5F0807FF0E@ilves.cyber.ee>
@ 2017-05-21 11:18 ` Meelis Roos
From: Meelis Roos @ 2017-05-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: Linux Kernel list, linux-alpha

> Hi all,
>
> it seems like the Alpha Jense build (the only one using pci-noop.c)
> and thus being a different build than all the later PCI capable
> system has been broken since at least:
>
> commit 6aca0503847f6329460b15b3ab2b0e30bb752793
> Author: Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>
> Date:   Tue Feb 2 21:46:33 2016 -0800
>
>     alpha/dma: use common noop dma ops
>
> which switches pci-noop.c to use generic code, but fat fingered a symbol
> and didn't wire up the Kconfig.
>
> Is there any value in keeping it alive?  Especially as there probably
> isn't any build coverage..

I do not have any experience with Jensens.

> Btw, how well is alpha working these days?  It looks like there hasn't
> been any maintainer activity for about two years.

However, I keep PC164, DS10, DS10L, DS20 alive and plan to revice
my XP1000 too. A 21264-base half embedded system worked fine until I
broke a connector on it so hoping to revive it too.

PC164, DS10, DS10L worked fine with 4.1 for me, others are on earlier
kernels.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@linux.ee)