* [RFC] perf annotate: option to report global percentage
@ 2018-07-18 21:55 Stephane Eranian
From: Stephane Eranian @ 2018-07-18 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Olsa, LKML; +Cc: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Hi Jiri,

As far as I know, once you go into annotate mode, via perf report TUI
mode, the percentage you see per instruction is relative to the
function. I would like the option to display the total percentage,
i..e, the importance of the instruction for the entire run. Right now,
if I want that, I need to do function_percentage * insn_percentage by
hand. This is not convenient. Having a key toggle would be very
useful, worst case a cmdline option.

What do you think?
Thanks.

* Re: [RFC] perf annotate: option to report global percentage
@ 2018-07-19  8:25 ` Jiri Olsa
From: Jiri Olsa @ 2018-07-19  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane Eranian; +Cc: Jiri Olsa, LKML, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 02:55:14PM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
>
> As far as I know, once you go into annotate mode, via perf report TUI
> mode, the percentage you see per instruction is relative to the
> function. I would like the option to display the total percentage,
> i..e, the importance of the instruction for the entire run. Right now,
> if I want that, I need to do function_percentage * insn_percentage by
> hand. This is not convenient. Having a key toggle would be very
> useful, worst case a cmdline option.
>
> What do you think?

hi,
that should be simple to add, we already have the 'F' in the
main browser window to toggle among full/filtered scale

I'll try to add something similar for annotation window

jirka

* Re: [RFC] perf annotate: option to report global percentage
@ 2018-07-31  9:21   ` Jiri Olsa
From: Jiri Olsa @ 2018-07-31  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane Eranian; +Cc: Jiri Olsa, LKML, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 10:25:39AM +0200, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 02:55:14PM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> > Hi Jiri,
> >
> > As far as I know, once you go into annotate mode, via perf report TUI
> > mode, the percentage you see per instruction is relative to the
> > function. I would like the option to display the total percentage,
> > i..e, the importance of the instruction for the entire run. Right now,
> > if I want that, I need to do function_percentage * insn_percentage by
> > hand. This is not convenient. Having a key toggle would be very
> > useful, worst case a cmdline option.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> hi,
> that should be simple to add, we already have the 'F' in the
> main browser window to toggle among full/filtered scale
>
> I'll try to add something similar for annotation window

sry for delay, I was out last week

I put something together and pushed it in here:
  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jolsa/perf.git
  perf/annotate_percent

there's the 'p' key to switch between local and global period
I haven't added any command line option for stdio yet

I'll have more testing and post later but any feedback
now would be great

thanks,
jirka

* Re: [RFC] perf annotate: option to report global percentage
@ 2018-08-03  7:28     ` Stephane Eranian
From: Stephane Eranian @ 2018-08-03  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Olsa; +Cc: Jiri Olsa, LKML, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Hi Jiri,
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 2:21 AM Jiri Olsa <jolsa@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 10:25:39AM +0200, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 02:55:14PM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> > > Hi Jiri,
> > >
> > > As far as I know, once you go into annotate mode, via perf report TUI
> > > mode, the percentage you see per instruction is relative to the
> > > function. I would like the option to display the total percentage,
> > > i..e, the importance of the instruction for the entire run. Right now,
> > > if I want that, I need to do function_percentage * insn_percentage by
> > > hand. This is not convenient. Having a key toggle would be very
> > > useful, worst case a cmdline option.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > hi,
> > that should be simple to add, we already have the 'F' in the
> > main browser window to toggle among full/filtered scale
> >
> > I'll try to add something similar for annotation window
>
> sry for delay, I was out last week
>
> I put something together and pushed it in here:
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jolsa/perf.git
>   perf/annotate_percent
>
> there's the 'p' key to switch between local and global period
> I haven't added any command line option for stdio yet
>
> I'll have more testing and post later but any feedback
> now would be great

Tested your code on a few examples and it seems to work well. Looks nice!
Thanks.
PS: I'll have more small requests coming based on user feedback and my
personal experience.

@ 2018-08-03 11:29       ` Jiri Olsa
From: Jiri Olsa @ 2018-08-03 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephane Eranian; +Cc: Jiri Olsa, LKML, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 12:28:16AM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 2:21 AM Jiri Olsa <jolsa@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > hi,
> > > that should be simple to add, we already have the 'F' in the
> > > main browser window to toggle among full/filtered scale
> > >
> > > I'll try to add something similar for annotation window
> >
> > sry for delay, I was out last week
> >
> > I put something together and pushed it in here:
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jolsa/perf.git
> >   perf/annotate_percent
> >
> > there's the 'p' key to switch between local and global period
> > I haven't added any command line option for stdio yet
> >
> > I'll have more testing and post later but any feedback
> > now would be great
> >
> Tested your code on a few examples and it seems to work well. Looks nice!
> Thanks.

cool, I'll have it sorted and send out soon

> PS: I'll have more small requests coming based on user feedback and my
> personal experience.

keep them comming, we need more user feedback ;-)

thanks,
jirka

* Re: [RFC] perf annotate: option to report global percentage
@ 2018-08-03 15:51         ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2018-08-03 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Olsa; +Cc: Stephane Eranian, Jiri Olsa, LKML

Em Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 01:29:55PM +0200, Jiri Olsa escreveu:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 12:28:16AM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 2:21 AM Jiri Olsa <jolsa@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > there's the 'p' key to switch between local and global period
> > > I haven't added any command line option for stdio yet

> > > I'll have more testing and post later but any feedback
> > > now would be great

> > Tested your code on a few examples and it seems to work well. Looks nice!
> > Thanks.

> cool, I'll have it sorted and send out soon

> > PS: I'll have more small requests coming based on user feedback and my
> > personal experience.

> keep them comming, we need more user feedback ;-)

Exactly! Features driven by user requests are super important to keep
these tools improving.

- Arnaldo

* Re: [RFC] perf annotate: option to report global percentage
@ 2018-08-03 20:12           ` Stephane Eranian
From: Stephane Eranian @ 2018-08-03 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo; +Cc: Jiri Olsa, Jiri Olsa, LKML

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 8:51 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@kernel.org> wrote:

> Em Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 01:29:55PM +0200, Jiri Olsa escreveu:

> > > Tested your code on a few examples and it seems to work well. Looks nice!
> > > Thanks.
>
> > cool, I'll have it sorted and send out soon
>
> > > PS: I'll have more small requests coming based on user feedback and my
> > > personal experience.
>
> > keep them comming, we need more user feedback ;-)
>
> Exactly! Features driven by user requests are super important to keep
> these tools improving.

Ok, then. I will start a new thread with the other requests I got.
Thanks.