* uprobe support mix of ftrace and perf
@ 2018-11-20 13:01 Masami Hiramatsu
From: Masami Hiramatsu @ 2018-11-20 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Nesterov
  Cc: Tom Zanussi, Namhyung Kim, zhangwei(Jovi),
	Srikar Dronamraju, Steven Rostedt, linux-kernel

Hello Oleg,

I have a question about the (revert) commit 48212542067a
("tracing/uprobes: Revert "Support mix of ftrace and perf""). I found
this limitation still exists on uprobe events.

Would you have any plan or idea to fix this issue? I thought this revert
patch was a tentative one, and should be fixed afterwards.

Since kprobe events already supported the mix of ftrace and perf, user may
confuse why they can not use the uprobe event if it is used by ftrace.
(perf probe treats both events transparently, and ftrace event interface too.)

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>

* Re: uprobe support mix of ftrace and perf
@ 2018-11-22 14:32 ` Oleg Nesterov
From: Oleg Nesterov @ 2018-11-22 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masami Hiramatsu
  Cc: Tom Zanussi, Namhyung Kim, zhangwei(Jovi),
	Srikar Dronamraju, Steven Rostedt, linux-kernel

Hi Masami,

On 11/20, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:

> Hello Oleg,
>
> I have a question about the (revert) commit 48212542067a
> ("tracing/uprobes: Revert "Support mix of ftrace and perf""). I found
> this limitation still exists on uprobe events.

Yes...

> Would you have any plan or idea to fix this issue? I thought this revert
> patch was a tentative one, and should be fixed afterwards.

To be honest, I was going to fix this "soon" many years ago, but today I simply
can't recall how this code actually works and what exactly we need to do to
support ftrace/perf at the same time...

I'll try to read this code later, but I can't promise anything :/

Oleg.

* Re: uprobe support mix of ftrace and perf
@ 2018-11-26  8:16   ` Masami Hiramatsu
From: Masami Hiramatsu @ 2018-11-26  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Nesterov
  Cc: Tom Zanussi, Namhyung Kim, zhangwei(Jovi),
	Srikar Dronamraju, Steven Rostedt, linux-kernel

Hi Oleg,

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 15:32:10 +0100
Oleg Nesterov <oleg@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Masami,
>
> On 11/20, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
> >
> > Hello Oleg,
> >
> > I have a question about the (revert) commit 48212542067a
> > ("tracing/uprobes: Revert "Support mix of ftrace and perf""). I found
> > this limitation still exists on uprobe events.
>
> Yes...
>
> > Would you have any plan or idea to fix this issue? I thought this revert
> > patch was a tentative one, and should be fixed afterwards.
>
> To be honest, I was going to fix this "soon" many years ago, but today I simply
> can't recall how this code actually works and what exactly we need to do to
> support ftrace/perf at the same time...
>
> I'll try to read this code later, but I can't promise anything :/

I understand, it may take a while... no need to promise :). I'll also look
into it.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>