* m88e6390_config_aneg will always reset the phy
@ 2019-02-21 10:55 Rundong Ge
From: Rundong Ge @ 2019-02-21 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Florian Fainelli, hkallweit1, davem, netdev, linux-kernel

Hi Andrew

Before the "net: phy: marvell: Errata for mv88e6390 internal PHYs",
phydev will only be soft reset when register value was changed.
But after this patch, the phydev will always be reset when entering
the "m88e6390_config_aneg".
So is there any side effect of this change?

Thanks
Rundong

* Re: m88e6390_config_aneg will always reset the phy
@ 2019-02-21 13:25 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2019-02-21 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rundong Ge; +Cc: Florian Fainelli, hkallweit1, davem, netdev, linux-kernel

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 06:55:54PM +0800, Rundong Ge wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> Before the "net: phy: marvell: Errata for mv88e6390 internal PHYs",
> phydev will only be soft reset when register value was changed.
> But after this patch, the phydev will always be reset when entering
> the "m88e6390_config_aneg".
> So is there any side effect of this change?

Hi Rundong

I tried to avoid the reset, but it does not appear you can read back
the magic values which got poked into the magic registers. So there is
no way to tell if the Errata has already been applied, e.g. by the
boot loader.

Side effects?

The PHY might work :-)

It might take a little bit longer to report link up, since there is an
additional soft reset.

	   Andrew